Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Default So my roommate is considering playing PSP2...

Hey all, if this would have been better in the "ask a question" topic, regards and apologies.

Recently, my roommate who's played a good bit of the more modern-type RPGS (Think Fable, etc) has seen me playing PSP2 and said "Wow, you really like that game!" and so I just kinda said it was a pretty fun game and easy to get hooked. We had also recently found a cheap copy of Phantasy Star Online Episodes I & II Plus, so in addition to trying that out, she really wants to grab PSP2 which is AWESOME to me.

Now, I've been playing PSO a fair amount since I was 14-ish (I'm now 23), and sadly, not as much of PSU, and working on PSP2.

My general request/question is, if you were teaching someone whose never played a lick of PSO/PSU/PSP1 or 2 how to play Phantasy Star Portable 2, what would you find most important to tell them to succeed? I just want her to be able to have a good time but since I hadn't played much PSU or PSP as of yet, I think there's definitely better qualified people here. Also, it might be a nice place to gather some basic tips and tricks for the new-to-PSU/PSP crowd?

Cheers.
    Last edited by Fayorei; Nov 17, 2010 at 02:55 PM.
    "Here is the map. All the info is there, except for the info that isn't there." -Onett Librarian
    Let's Play something.
    PSO2 Alpha:
    Level 20 HUnewearl:Level 20 RAmarl:Level 20 FOnewearl:Level 18 HUcaseal

NC, USA (Online though, you may find me in the unofficial PSOW chat @ http://psoworld.weebly.com/)

Well, if you're gonna teach them a game, you'll have to decide between the three of them. That would be either PSO, PSU/PSPo1, or PSPo2; since they all play differently. That much is a given. If you teach them PSU/PSPo1 though and they start trying to play PSPo2 or PSPo2i, then they'll find the systems very different and maybe get frustrated.

I can tell you that PSPo2i is like the best Phantasy Star online-like game ever made, but that's not really helping much. And I'll leave others to post any real tips. I'm offline-only and likely not that helpful unless given a specific question that allows me to research.

{-} Sig is outdated. Now on Team: ChibiRoar. I'll update eventually... {-}

TemprusofTime @ Deviantart (Novice MMD User)

PSOW on mibbit---
    BTW, yes I'm one of those guy gamers that plays nothing but girl characters. There a problem with that?

We're able to get online, and sorry for the non-clarification! Tips on PSP2 in particular are welcomed- that's the game she's getting. We'll most likely both be online eventually. I'm waiting around like an idiot since I have a weird hangup about getting better offline first.D:

I definitely agree on PSP2 being the best so far as of late. I'm LOVING it.
    "Here is the map. All the info is there, except for the info that isn't there." -Onett Librarian
    Let's Play something.
    PSO2 Alpha:
    Level 20 HUnewearl:Level 20 RAmarl:Level 20 FOnewearl:Level 18 HUcaseal

i would say when you're getting in to it, not to worry too much about all the various systems until you are comfortable playing the game. when i first started PSO i was abit overwhelmed by all the stats and choosing the "best" character for me from the start, but after i had played the game for a little while choosing was very easy.

basically, just pick whatever looks cool or sounds fun at first, then worry about stats and the like when you have a handle on the game.
    PSPo2:
    LUNA SEA - RAcaseal
    Pucelle - FOnewearl

PSO:
    .... - RAcaseal

In Optimus Curtz we trust Broken_L_button's Avatar

Tips for PSO:
    -Exploit the room limits as much as you can
    -use your quick menu to dodge traps, run around enemies, change weapons, etc.
    -always carry a 4-slot armor; for example, 4-slot frame is better than 1 slot Virus armor Lafeutria, and I'm not exaggeratting (but 4-slot Lafu is pretty much the best armor on PSO...unless it causes enemies to combo you)
    -look for hit% on your weapons
    -Sell as much stuff as you can to the shop, and be on the lookout for technique disks, 4 slot armors and high hit% charge weapons in the shop (when you get a high enough level)

for PSP2:
    -Get all types to 10 ASAP; having all immunity abilities = more slots for stat boosts
    -if you're a Vanguard, Ranger or Force, exploit EVA
    -Exploit the room limits as much as possible
    -Get a habit of perfect blocking EVERYTHING (even the lasers)
    -Get a habit of doing perfect counters and Just attacks (both normal attacks and PAs)
    -Carry 1 high% shield-weave of each element, and mostly stick to Tenora or GRM brands if you can't get the Tenora weaves.
    -Make sure to cover all elements in your arsenal
    -Have some twin handguns and twin sabers around
    -Don't be stingy with items (mates, traps, etc.); they were MADE to be used.
    -Upgrade all the weapons you plan on using for a while; that's meseta's only real use anyways
    -ALWAYS go get Sayo's blessing before a mission
    -Abuse the secret society for PA disks/scapes if you can't find them

There's probably more stuff, but I only typed the more general tips

-Twin sabers and blade destruction is incredibly over powered. Use them.
    -Vanguards are over powered and have the highest EVP
    -DEF is useless compared to EVP because with enough EVP you won't get hit ever.
    -Building a high chain and then breaking it is essential for taking down large mobs fast while in multiplayer.
    Reality hits like a baseball bat, duck-taped to a bus thats moving very fast!
    Japanese body pillows - Why not go the next mile and buy a blow up doll?
    Old people, they may look friendly but can you really trust them?
    Light-Blessed Crusader's Divine Rainbow Hand of Just Righteousness
    http://www.vat19.com/dvds/worlds-largest-gummy-bear.cfm

Make a loli. Elitists use loli's for a reason. We just keep the reason hidden but you'll know why when you use one.

Start with Dus Skadd and spears. High Accuracy is invaluable at lower levels. Spam Mine Defense to get spears and Dus Skadd.

Play through story mode. Playing online with friends is secondary and should start after you beat story mode. Beating story mode makes you a lot better at the game and also levels you up quite a lot. Online is also a very mediocre 1st impression of the game due to framerates and ridiculous difficulty for starting players.
    www.xat.com/psp2 to chat about psp2 and to run with an english speaking psp2 community.

【JP PSPo2:i】 [FNewm Lvl83 FO11] [FDewm Lvl90 FO12] [FCast Lvl200 HU30 BR30] [FBeast Lvl198 HU30 BR 28]

In Optimus Curtz we trust Broken_L_button's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Lolitron View Post
    Make a loli. Elitists use loli's for a reason. We just keep the reason hidden but you'll know why when you use one.
    Isn't it for the reduced hit box and the easier time using twin handguns? Or am I missing something?

Those are some pretty valid reasons if they are true.
    Reality hits like a baseball bat, duck-taped to a bus thats moving very fast!
    Japanese body pillows - Why not go the next mile and buy a blow up doll?
    Old people, they may look friendly but can you really trust them?
    Light-Blessed Crusader's Divine Rainbow Hand of Just Righteousness
    http://www.vat19.com/dvds/worlds-largest-gummy-bear.cfm

NC, USA (Online though, you may find me in the unofficial PSOW chat @ http://psoworld.weebly.com/)

I don't think the hit box is smaller any more.

{-} Sig is outdated. Now on Team: ChibiRoar. I'll update eventually... {-}

TemprusofTime @ Deviantart (Novice MMD User)

PSOW on mibbit---
    BTW, yes I'm one of those guy gamers that plays nothing but girl characters. There a problem with that?