Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: H1N1 Vaccine

Default H1N1 Vaccine

Now that it's been made available, have you gotten it or plan to get it? I have somewhat of a low immune system, so I'm going to try to get some time this week, before all the holiday business starts.

PSO2: Kylie.HUnewearl.Sh02

I don't mess with flu shots and stuff like that.

Then again, I have a good immune system.

I have almost no immune system (it's too busy attacking my joints), but I don't get the flu shot anymore and I don't plan to get the H1N1 vaccine. It's new and untested, and every time I've gotten the flu shot I've had to be hospitalized.
    Success is not the result of spontaneous combustion. You must set yourself on fire.

My immune system is ridiculous.
    I've never been sick, even as a baby or child.
    I mean...never.

I don't puke, I don't get colds, nothing.

Some people say it will go away with age, but eh.
    So, no, I will not make plans to get the vaccine.

That one place you may or may not have been... East-side

Quote Originally Posted by Volcompat321 View Post
    My immune system is ridiculous.
    I've never been sick, even as a baby or child.
    I mean...never.

I don't puke, I don't get colds, nothing.

Some people say it will go away with age, but eh.
    So, no, I will not make plans to get the vaccine.
    Same here... I just don't get sick... until this past week that is. I hate being sick, it blows. I don't think i'll be sick for a long time, i hope not. Anyway, i don't plan on getting that vaccine, it hasn't been tested yet. I don't trust that thing, if you feel you need it get it, but i'll just hope and pray nothing happens and stick to good old vitamin C
    1 Corinthians 13 Love suffers long, is kind, envies not, isn't puffed up, doesn't behave unseemly, seeks not it's own, is not easily provoked, thinks no evil, rejoices not in sin, but rejoices in truth, bears all things, believes all things, hopes all things, endures all things, love never fails... (MATTHEW 24:3-51)

I have no plans to get a vaccine for the "H1N1" virus. Mostly because it isn't as horrible and fatal as everyone thinks. Even if I do get sick (which I won't), I'll just take the regular steps (resting, common household medicine such as Tylenol Flu, and drinking plenty of fluids), and I'll be fine in no time.

All that, and the simple fact that every time I've gotten vaccinated for anything, I've gotten really ill, anyway.
    Last edited by BIG OLAF; Nov 23, 2009 at 06:24 PM.

I have strong constitutions, so I get sick, but I don't get as sick as most people.

If someone else gets the flu while I do, I just get the sniffles and shit, and they usually have to go to the ER.

Don't get sick around me.

I'm not going to the H1N1 vaccine.

I plan to get it as soon as the demand starts falling. I'm all for promoting herd immunity and recognize the risk of mutation and need to try to control it, but I'm not keen on fighting crowds and standing in line for hours on end. Besides, being layed off at the moment, I'm not really out & about in public excepting for job hunting expeditions. The vax would do more good in someone who's in public and urban settings more for the time being.

Plus, I hate needles.

BTW: For those saying they have strong constitutions, this is exactly the group with the largest risk factor and why the damned thing has gained such attention. Most people who get it seem to recover on their own, or with proper medical attention, just fine. But the potential for it to trigger a fatal bout of pneumonia in otherwise healthy individuals is still there.

Also, be careful some of the numbers people give you. I've heard from a lot of people that H1N1 hasn't yet killed as many people as the seasonal flu typically does. However, H1N1 is only a single strain - whereas the Seasonal Flu is a name given to an amalgamation of several different strains. So it would be more accurate to compare H1N1 to fatality rates in a single strain of what is typically considered a part of the seasonal flu. Further, while H1N1 hasn't reached typical mortality rates indicative of the seasonal flu yet - be careful of by what metric this is being measured. It's mortality rate for the entire flu season is yet to be determined. Up to this point in time, it's mortality rate is indeed higher - and it's already reached it's first peak virulence and crested early this month/late last month - exceeding infection rates which usually takes most flu strains until February to reach. H1N1 may never reach it's past peak levels for the rest of the season... or it may peak again several times. Nobody will know until after the season.

Regardless, the main concern is not for it's current mortality rates - but the potential for far worse virulence should it mutate into a deadlier or more contagious form. The idea behind vaccination here is to limit it's available vectors for reproduction... because evolution is reproduction with mutation against selection. The most unvaccinated hosts, the more reproduction, means more mutation - and the potential to build on the danger it already represents. You don't really want to set a can of Kerosene next to a fire you're trying to control. Viruses and Bacteria don't undergo sexual reproduction, so evolution is already extremely difficult since they are essentially just cloning themselves. But this is more than made up for in sheer quantity of reproduction.

I don't want to pressure anybody into getting a vaccination they don't want to, but there is an awful lot of misinformation out there on the subject - and I would implore people to make their decision rationally and based on good science and physical evidence. Not hearsay.

i don't plan on getting that vaccine, it hasn't been tested yet.
    It's been tested every bit as thoroughly as the seasonal flu vaccines are. Even beyond Phase III clinical trials, it's been out and given to the public for over a month now all over the world. So far, Phase IV (post-clinical) research has so far shown it to be every bit as safe as the seasonal vaccine. If that's all that's been holding you back, I wouldn't worry.
    Last edited by Sinue_v2; Nov 23, 2009 at 07:15 PM.

Feed men, and then ask of them virtue!

Quote Originally Posted by Obsidian_Knight View Post
    every time I've gotten the flu shot I've had to be hospitalized.
    You're probably allergic to something in it.

On-Topic: I plan on getting it. I like not being sick and missing work and school because of it. I just need to find out where I can get the vaccine though along with some other ones I've been meaning to get.

I think that the place I live has actually promised enough for every citizen here so I'll probably get one when I have the time if these vacines do exist. I also don't want to waste any of my vacation days feeling terrible when I could be using them to feel good.