Page 7 of 9 FirstFirst ... 456789 LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by Eclipse5632 View Post
    An example of something that wasn't deep but pretended to be would be Kamen Rider Den-O, though I doubt anyone here has seen that.
    You misspelled "Kamen Rider Kiva". And possibly "Kamen Rider Faiz", as well. Well, Faiz is kinda iffy, but Kiva is a given. Maybe Decade as well, but that would be your fault as a viewer, since that series was clearly meant as fanwank material.

I think his score (B-) isn't terrible, I would have personally put it higher but thats opinion.

I think his review feels like a rushed, half-assed attempt at getting something out of the door for his editor, but thats why I steer clear of 1up in the first place. I would agree that random play's "one mission only" is pretty dumb, but this part:

From there you can venture out (alone or with up to three friends) into any of about seven randomized, monster-filled stages. Stop me if you've heard this one: Killing said monsters nets experience points and improved gear, eventually allowing you to tackle more dangerous prey and earn even better rewards, and so on.

...made me go "uwhaaaa-?". This seemed more like a jab at the genre, not so much the game.

But yeah, I'd agree with the OP, im less disheartened by the score, more so by the fact that it feels like this guy played the game for all of 20 minutes.
    Illustrator! Pixel Artist!:

That review was trash, though that isn't surprising considering it's 1-up reviewing a game on a Nintendo system. Problems conecting with his friends, requiring "rejiggering" of his router? Riiiight, sounds like someone's secure wireless connection at work had to be opened up by an intern.

Actually being an old PSO fan, I discovered on my first day of PSZ that holding the X button lets you use the L and R buttons to turn the camera left and right, similar to PSO. This makes the PSZ camera one of the best in ANY 3D DS game, IMO, let alone an average one. As a former editorialist/game reviewer myself, I'd guess this guy's professed love for the original PSO is little more than lip service. I wouldn't be surprsed if he merely played on a friend's dreamcast, and claims those few hours as a misspent youth.

Reviews may be opinions, but Reviewers for major media outlets should be experienced professionals. Considering the games staggering achievments on DS, 1-up's review of PSZ was anyting but professional.

EDIT:
    P.S. For anyone who doesn't believe 1-up has a bias against Nintendo that is showing it's ugly face in the PSZ review, here's their review of PSP, a review that's twice as long and gives a score of A-. Wow, how much more blatant can they get?
    Last edited by akumyodukai; Nov 30, 2009 at 07:15 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by akumyodukai View Post
    EDIT:
    P.S. For anyone who doesn't believe 1-up has a bias against Nintendo that is showing it's ugly face in the PSZ review, here's their review of PSP, a review that's twice as long and gives a score of A-. Wow, how much more blatant can they get?
    If Mielke were still regularly contributing to 1up, I'm willing to bet that he would have been the one to cover Zero as well. (fortunately) he's moved onto bigger and better things, so Quillen must have been the next in line, or some such. Im not so sure about the bias though, because Quillen's reviews are notorious for being short winded. Honestly who would hate the DS ? /conspiracy theory thats pretty true
    PSU AOTI Xbox 360 -Retired Forever?
    Kishiia -10x Human Fighgunner
    Illumina -8x Cast Fighgunner

Phantasy Star Zero
    Friend Code: 3610-1135-3254 -PM me if you add me, thanks.

HUnewm - 60+

http://9999hitpoints.wordpress.com/ - My fledgling Videogame Blog.

Quote Originally Posted by Kishiin View Post
    If Mielke were still regularly contributing to 1up, I'm willing to bet that he would have been the one to cover Zero as well. (fortunately) he's moved onto bigger and better things, so Quillen must have been the next in line, or some such. Im not so sure about the bias though, because Quillen's reviews are notorious for being short winded. Honestly who would hate the DS ? /conspiracy theory thats pretty true
    Hate the DS?! How can you hate such a lovable little hand held that has games such as EBA/Ouendan, TWEWY (The World Ends With You), Scribblenauts, the poke and the mons and the ah-ah-ah, and now Phantasy Star.

Anyway, on to what I think about the review. While some of the gripes are about on par with what I was thinking when I first picked up the game I don't think Mr. Quillen spent much time with the game. After the 6 1/2 hr hunt trying to find 3 copies of the game for myself and my 2 cousins it took me all of maybe 2 hours to get the feel for the "high-maintenance camera". I was always changing camera angles in PSO anyway so it's nothing new to have to tap the L button to realign the camera.

On the other hand, the lack of a quick cast option for you FO players out there is a bit of a kick in the face. So, I kinda agree with the "lousy user interface" if only for that one reason. Otherwise you have quick options to pull up gear and items just like in PSO. It's the same button type layout that PSO had and I still have it set up nearly the same (with the addition of the dodge roll taking the place of mates). Not being able to run around while in said options is a bit of a pain for gear swaps on boss fights but as a HUcast I don't really need to swap anything. XD

"I can't help but feel like this is the same game that I played in lieu of studying for Chemistry exams." That is NOT a bad thing though. I, for one, welcome our new alien overlor... er I welcome the throwback to the feel of PSO. I missed it, a lot.

As for the AI... yeah, that could use a little help. For someone like myself that spends a lot of time farming away on story mode looking for drops, the AI can get a bit annoying at times. I found the best use for them is to simply tell them "Safety first!" and let the monsters all group up on them. From there I can million rave my way to victory.

The forced picto-chat isn't all that great either... for guys like me that have doctor-ish handwriting that is.

Other than that it's PSO all over again... except now I have a job and can't really play as late as I would like >.> blasted responsibilities!

TL : DR version -
    1) Impossible to hate DS
    2) PSZ is a throwback to PSO and I for one love it.
    3) The lack of shortcuts to spell casting is the only thing that makes me think "lousy UI"
    4) The AI could use some help... and by some... I mean call the short bus.
    5) Pictochat =/
    6) Restated PSZ is like PSO... much rejoicing on this side.

Anyway, I'm sorry that ended up so long... I guess my sig is appropriate. I should thank my cousin for finding that.
    Me fail english? That's unpossible!
    Your image was removed because both signature images combined exceeded 180 pixels in height, which is the signature height limit.

I am a HUcast to know what you are take the quiz here.

But honestly, has any game done good AI controls in this genre on this platform?

In fact, Final Fantasy Crystal Chronicles: Echoes of Time, if anything, does it WORSE.
    Illustrator! Pixel Artist!:

Quote Originally Posted by Niered View Post
    But honestly, has any game done good AI controls in this genre on this platform?

In fact, Final Fantasy Crystal Chronicles: Echoes of Time, if anything, does it WORSE.
    amen. IF yall want ffcc's keyboard hahahaha good luck with that wit lag.

Me I love picto chat so far this is my fav way of communicating now. But yea picto chat is user offensive depending who you are lol.

as for the story. I really enjoyed the selections, ogi, and sarisa. If you people were expecting a serious story yea ull be disappointed. But yea the selection choices are funny.
    Duck Tales
    # of Members: 45

Requirement to join Duck Tales - If I like the cut of your Jib jk its free for all
    wait no i mean free for all

Quote Originally Posted by Clubbin View Post
    Hate the DS?! How can you hate such a lovable little hand held that has games such as EBA/Ouendan, TWEWY (The World Ends With You), Scribblenauts, the poke and the mons and the ah-ah-ah, and now Phantasy Star.
    I really only enjoyed two games for DS, Disgaea (which is a ps2 remake), and legend of zelda.

Quote Originally Posted by jmanx View Post

Me I love picto chat so far this is my fav way of communicating now. But yea picto chat is user offensive depending who you are lol.

as for the story. I really enjoyed the selections, ogi, and sarisa. If you people were expecting a serious story yea ull be disappointed. But yea the selection choices are funny.
    I admit that I really did enjoy the selections during the story. I had a bit of fun with those.

You speak the truth many times over Niered, I didn't expect much of the AI so it's not like it really disappointed me. At least they provide themselves at somewhat competent meat shields... as no matter who it is they almost always just run into the group of mobs and start swinging/shooting.
    Me fail english? That's unpossible!
    Your image was removed because both signature images combined exceeded 180 pixels in height, which is the signature height limit.

I am a HUcast to know what you are take the quiz here.

Quote Originally Posted by jmanx View Post

I love pictochat, but it takes some time getting used to. Basically, the more you use it, the more comfortable you become with it. I still prefer typing, since it's much faster... but shortcuts help out a lot. It's also sometimes hard to read what people say. Because of this, I am truly thankful for the chat log feature : D

I also liked the story. It's not serious the entire time and there's some obvious plot holes, but it's at least very enjoyable which is more than I can say for most RPGs I've played in recent years (there's still some very good ones, but most of the time I find myself rolling my eyes and not continuing). Characters were fun and the setting was intriguing. I'm pleased

PS0 Name: pixel★
    F/c: 2922-9217-8876