Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345

$12 Canadian. It's a really high-end cinema, so it's fair.

Quote Originally Posted by Outrider View Post
    Whoa - what's with the high price?

I went to see Toy Story 1/2 in Manhattan and even though it was a 3D movie I don't think it was quite that much. (Though now that I think about it, I can't quite remember how much it was.)
    Location.

Well, I like that place 'cause it's un Union Square, and I frequent the vicinity.

There's another one up by 34th I go on occasion, which is $12.50 per ticket. +$3 for 3D glasses.

I'm almost positive a handful of people at the Union Square one already recognise me. I've paid for enough tickets to justify my movie hopping.

Oh. And another theater I tend to go to is MoMA. Free for members of the museum. Loaded with art films, occasionally have modern films, and a few cult classics.

$9.00 after 12:30 PM for all movies, $4.50 for old releases before 12:30 PM, $6.50 for new releases before 12:30 PM. $12.00 fucking dollars for "Real-D 3D" movies. If we buy our tickets online they charge us $1 extra for each ticket (unless you pay to be in their ridiculous movie club.)

Prices are ridiculous. About a year ago regular weekend tickets were $7 bucks.

I'm not even going to get started on concessions, but just for an idea, 20 oz cokes are $5. /ripoff

it usually adds to 11-12 bucks a ticket,
    20 dollars for a standard snack desire.

"It looks cool this way, let's stop."

.. I always found it amusing how people make such a big deal out of concession stands and their prices. Must you eat at every idle sitting opportunity possible? MoMA doesn't allow food anywhere near the building, and nobody complains.

Everybody's mentioning that going to the movies is too expensive, and I agree, but I still think it's worth it most of the time. Seeing a movie in a theater is an entirely different experience than watching it on DVD.

Cue the usual agoraphobic and antisocial complaints about crowds in movie theaters in 3, 2, 1...

EDIT:

Quote Originally Posted by Firocket1690 View Post
    Location.

Well, I like that place 'cause it's un Union Square, and I frequent the vicinity.

There's another one up by 34th I go on occasion, which is $12.50 per ticket. +$3 for 3D glasses.
    Nevermind, I'm dumb - that's the theater I went to for Toy Story. I just realized that my brother actually bought the tickets for that, so I have no idea how much it was. Whoops.

Also - I know the theater by MSG you're talking about, but I've never been in there. I used to walk by it everyday on the way from the subway to where my internship was.
    Last edited by Outrider; Dec 11, 2009 at 11:37 AM.

I think I pay about 1000 yen over here. Seems kind of steep, plus food is expensive. Usually wait for DVD release, pick up a bunch of movies and buy snacks at the super market on the way home.

Rather than theaters, I`d really prefer a karaoke style viewing, where you just had one room with a big screen tv that you could go chill out with your friends and other drinks and food from the room as you need it. Maybe pause on occasion for when you need to go to the bath room. That I wouldn`t mind shelling out for. I just don`t care for the whole theater experience with sticky floors, the fat guy who sits down directly in front of you, people loudly drinking... ect.: i`d rather be on my couch.
    Last edited by Kion; Dec 12, 2009 at 12:14 AM.