Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Online

What if i get an old router and use a double connector to connect it to my good router and my computer?

I am a HUmar to know what you are take the quiz here.

How many times someone almost spilled something on my DS on 12/25/09: 14

Can't find my old router so can't even do that...

I'm guessing that right now you use a passworded connection. For some reason the Nintendo DS does not support this kind of router security, however it does accept WEP pin security setups.

Most modern routers will allow either passworded or WEP setup. You'll need to access your router settings via pc and switch to WEP security and have it assign a PIN. Now turn on your DS and play PSZ. Go to manual setup of connection and leave everything to automatic except for the WEP setting. On that screen you'll enter the PIN your router generated.

As far as I can tell this is the only way to play the DS online without a Nintendo wifi adaptor or on a secure connection. Your only other option besides the above is to turn off your router's security.

I'd love to do that, but only my brother knows the password and he won't change it to WEP because he's kinda slow like that.

WEP security is about as useful as having an unsecured network. It takes about five minutes to hack a router from tools you find from a simple Google search.

Ask your brother if he can turn on MAC filtering. This'll allow you to create a list of "trusted" devices (including your DS) that will be able to connect to the router without needing a password, and is much more difficult to bypass. The only unfortunate side effect is that nothing else will be able to connect to the network unless it's on that list. If you could dig up your old router, you could set up a subnet just for the purposes of doing this.

Quote Originally Posted by Volta View Post
    WEP security is about as useful as having an unsecured network. It takes about five minutes to hack a router from tools you find from a simple Google search.

Ask your brother if he can turn on MAC filtering. This'll allow you to create a list of "trusted" devices (including your DS) that will be able to connect to the router without needing a password, and is much more difficult to bypass. The only unfortunate side effect is that nothing else will be able to connect to the network unless it's on that list. If you could dig up your old router, you could set up a subnet just for the purposes of doing this.
    Will I need to change it to WEP to do this?

MAC filtering works no matter what the wireless security type.

Ok thanks, I'll try that.