Page 1 of 5 1234 ... LastLast

Default Menu Translations?

I was wondering if any of our fine, friendly, Japanese-speaking members would be up for putting together a translation of all the menus in the game (just the important ones like shops/missions, etc, not necessarily all the dialog).

I'm not sure how complete my screenshots are, because I'm just kinda jumping around through menus and snapping them, so if I'm missing anything and you happen to notice it, let me know.

Right now, I'm only grabbing shots of things that I think are critical to effectively playing the game. I'm not going to screencap story mode conversations for two reasons:

1. The text is dynamic depending on the way you respond to questions asked to you. Putting these translations together in a way that allowed somebody to actually understand the story would simply take much longer than waiting for SEGA to localize it would.
    2. It's way too long and would take several runs through the entire story mode for it to be worth it.

If anybody has any requests for any particular menus, please let me know and I'll grab them. The only ones I cannot take at all are going to be anything related to online play as, I admit, I'm playing a pirate copy. Until the GEN team manages to get their CFW to handle PSN properly, I can't take these shots. However, I'm sure there's other people out there, somewhere, who could grab those for us.

I ran through and took a bunch of screengrabs for all the menus on the shops. Would anybody mind creating a list of translations on these? I could go back and edit the translated menus on top of the images so that it's easier to follow along with.

Here's the gallery to all the menu shots I took if anybody's up for the challenge.

http://yfrog.com/5jfrmbuf030px

EDIT:

First batch of translated screens has come in. Right now, this will kinda be a mess as I'm just getting all the data in this post. I'll clean it once I have enough translations to make it worth fully categorizing and stuff.

SHOPS
    Spoiler!

APPEARANCE
    Spoiler!

VISUAL PHONE
    Spoiler!

PARTNER MACHINE (PM)
    Spoiler!

CLIENT MISSIONS
    Spoiler!

OPTIONS
    Spoiler!

VIDEO DEMO: MENU WALKTHROUGH
    Spoiler!

More to come!
    Last edited by D14BL0; Jan 6, 2010 at 11:54 PM.

Why Do I Still Post Here? BahnKnakyu's Avatar

Take note. A lot of the weapons and stuff are in katakana. It might be useful for you in future PSU-style games to learn it. Takes a couple afternoons to learn and it's highly useful.

*drags Tycho into thread*
    * 98% of people like to put character progress in their signatures. If you're one of the 2% who doesn't, put this in your signature.

Quote Originally Posted by BahnKnakyu View Post
    Take note. A lot of the weapons and stuff are in katakana. It might be useful for you in future PSU-style games to learn it. Takes a couple afternoons to learn and it's highly useful.

*drags Tycho into thread*
    Without going too far off-topic, do you know of any decent resources to get started with?

Quote Originally Posted by D14BL0 View Post
    Without going too far off-topic, do you know of any decent resources to get started with?
    Try http://realkana.com/ - or, if you even want to buy a book on the subject, you can pick up James Heisig's "Remembering The Kana", though with due diligence, practice, and use of flashcards you can usually pick it up in less than two weeks. Most weapon names, spells, etc are written in Katakana, and can be figured out by sounding them out. For example スピア is "su pi a" or "spear". It gets easier as time goes on, as well.

Knowing the pronunciation is pretty essential to figuring katakana out. Japanese pronunciation is uniform, though. For example:

ha, sa, pa, ra - all have "ah" sounds as in "blah" or "saw"
    hi, shi, pi, ri - all have "ee" sounds as in "see", "tea", "pee", etc
    he, se, pe, re - all have "ay" sounds as in "say" or "hey"
    fu, tsu, pu, ru - all have "ooh" sounds as in "do", "loo", "too"
    ho, so, po, ro - all have "oh" sounds as in "dough" or "pro"

Good luck with it!

Thanks, I've been asking my friend to take pictures of the menus, so I'll just use this instead to do translations.

This is an awesome website as well:
    http://genkienglish.net/genkijapan/katakana.htm

Just place your mouse over the Japanese character and it pronounces itself. It's pretty helpful.

PSO2 & PSPortable2 Addict Amherst_Wind's Avatar

All those menu options that lead to the text boxes with yellow titles are just a description of what the shop sells/does, I wouldn't worry about those.
    - - - - - - - PS Zero: Anna - - - - - -|- - - - - PS Portable: Amherst - - - - -

This one menu caused the most frustration ;3

BATTLEISH

Spoiler!

STYLISH

Spoiler!
    Last edited by WBMike; Jan 1, 2010 at 06:14 PM. Reason: Me Love you long time

The Two-Tailed Fox boy Fox2Tails's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by irukandjisyndrome View Post
    ha, sa, pa, ra - all have "ah" sounds as in "blah" or "saw"
    How the hell do you pronounce 'saw'? O.o

Credit to MissMalice

Quote Originally Posted by WBMike View Post

This one menu caused the most frustration ;3

Prayyyyyyyyyyyyy

MAKE UP!

any more? =o

like type customization menu or room phone menu

-