Page 1 of 5 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Newmans suck

Angry Newmans suck

I'm such a stat geek, I'm totally done stat crunching after this, I've pretty much figured out my characters now... But yes, I'm a bit bitter: I realized newmans are the worst race.

Here's why:

The failure that is male Newman:

Male newmans do not have much of any thing on female humans. Females humans will have 10 points less PP, but one point higher PP regain. They will have roughly 20 less points of TP. Almost 100 more evasion over human female is nice... but what do marls get?

Typically over 50 points of defense (now an important stat), 40ish more MST...60 points of HP... and now for the kicker 50ish points of ATP. And the *SAME* ata. The same. Meaning pretty much the same damage for all TP ranged weapons, and more damage for ATP ranged weapons.

So basically when it comes to physical survival with evasion/vs defense they even out. When it comes to things that can't be dodged, she wins. When it comes to guns, I'd say she's the winner due to the ATP...and she's not a wuss when it comes to melee.

Now with that said, let's look at newmans as the classes:

Hunter: A *male* cast braver will have better TP then a female newman hunter by 122 points (!!!!). Think about that for a second. So ignoring techs... accuracy on hunters is as crappy as techs are (Casts obvious exception) So what are newmans offering the hunter class again? Good resta: that is all.

Force: You'd THINK their home class would be good for them? In this game techs are not good for building combos... and due to heavy PP constraints, melee is needed on a force, it's that simple. Newmans with piss poor survival skills already is the weakest class trying to do melee. Fun times, welcome to hard mode.

Braver: Males newmans are completely outclassed by human females here. Female newmans are tech gunners... this is PP worst nightmare, as both guns and techs, notorious for draining PP will drain hard, but won't hit as hard as a braver.

Ranger: Female newman rangers are this race's last saving grace. Yes they are frail, yes casts will do more damage with guns, but unlike the hunter class where techs are rendered useless... there are several bravers that female newman rangers will have more TP then. She can tech! Also drastically higher PP then casts makes this a bit easier to use in some ways.

So yeah...reinforcing the space elf thing...seems like ranger types are their real asset.

Phantasy star reality
    Every race sucked except for beast.
    Every job sucked except for hunter.
    Male > female.

Yep, tech users suck. It's an old Phantasy Star tradition. Nothing new here.

Scarlet / ID:aurly; Shock Nurse @ Ship 2!

Really? I haven't noticed that many problems playing with my female newman, maybe stats are what suck in a game where gameplay is more important than stats xD

try Human ; D you wont be Disapointed all Balanced here check the stats site = http://translate.google.com/translat...3B3E38389.html scroll down and click on Status =]
    Last edited by Nero-Flow; Dec 31, 2009 at 10:46 AM.

Really, I wouldn't complain too much about the entire Newman race sucking just because human female and Newman male have a lot of overlap. When you compare Newman female to either gender of human, it still retains all of its expected advantages.

Specifically on PP recovery, it might be worthwhile to note that the difference in recovery speed adds up to the male Newman recovering all their PP .4 seconds slower than the female human, which isn't really worth complaining about in my book. I don't have enough information on the game to say whether or not the EVP cancels out the HP and DFP losses, so I can't really argue in favor of them there. Given the rest of the distribution, I'd hope and expect it does though.

Also don't forget that you're not guaranteed to have PP issues while using range and techs. You can easily switch to a Save bullet and rack up the chain with that and tap Triangle with your favorite spell to finish the opponent off. Also Foie, Barta, Zonde, and Diga are very PP efficient, allowing you to build a tech combo chain with them as another alternative. Plus PP efficiency is only an issue if the enemy group doesn't die before you run out. So another obvious solution is pumping up TP and element so that it's all dead in the first six or so hits.

It might be worthwhile to note that both human and Braver have overpowered stats because this is still PSU. Versatility is still only worth so much and specializing in one thing still allows you to plow through everything as that type fastest. That's why no matter how their other stats look, in the long run Beast is the strongest fighter from ATP alone, Cast is the strongest gunner from ATA alone, and Newman is the strongest techer from TP alone.

So, yeah, it would be more appropriate to change the title to "Newman male probably sucks" than "Newmans suck."
    Last edited by Pillan; Dec 31, 2009 at 07:45 PM.

I'd argue that if building combos is more important then teching right away, other races would be the strongest force because the damage building up to the tech using melee would be higher...

I'd also argue that female beasts may be the best force (exact same PP, PP regain and TP as human males) because using double claws or what have you to build chains will do a chunk of damage building...and finishing with a strong tech because their TP is up to par. I think that's why they look so "force" with their new unique clothing.

Techs are basically PA's in this game... best as a finishing move...(charge shots kinda also). Unfortunately there's no good forcey way to build up chains other then dabbling in the other classes turf: melee or guns. So the strongest force isn't for sure a newman, while the strongest ranger is most likely a cast, beast for hunter for sure...and unsure bout braver.

I totally agree male newmans probably suck, as the female newmans seem on track in relationship to the other classes...

Every race brings something to every class...newmans are HORRID hunters. For some reason the hunter class has a HUGGGGEEEEE reduction on TP, it's still bellow what would be considered usable. Even beasts can bring melee to the ranger class... also male accuracy is not high enough to really use guns effectively, and females as hunters are even worse with ATP.

The problem they face as bravers is like I say, they are going to be doing much less damage with guns. They're not horrible. I may also argue that female newmans make the best rangers, best being more abstract... their ATA is on the same par as a male cast roughly (10 points away isn't too bad), and because of the higher PP they can spam charge attacks. Also like I said, their TP as that class is on par with quite a few of the bravers. It's possible with the correct use of guns and techs that a female newman ranger will clear out rooms faster then male casts and possibly female ones.

I'd say they are most def the weakest race of the bunch though... simply because one class they can't do any thing right, their home class doesn't instantly crown them as "best", bravers are okay and rangers are on par with the best...and this is all ignoring an entire gender.
    Last edited by THOTH; Jan 1, 2010 at 07:47 PM.

How are stats midgame? It seems you only compare endgame stats. Are they generally the way you describe them throughout the levels and not just at endgame?

It's generally the same way. Although...iirc newmans go through a period where some of their stats aren't as high...so for a long time beasts are better at evasion for an example, and eventually they sort of equalize. Someone posted a stat link including various level phases. Check it out if you are inclined.

Wink

Quote Originally Posted by Pillan View Post
    So, yeah, it would be more appropriate to change the title to "Newman male probably sucks" than "Newmans suck."
    There are male newmans?!1!