Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

I have two routers set up. One is for the wireless internet set up on WAP2 and the second one is for the DS on WEP. This has been working fine with me so far but I'm not sure if you want to spend money on a second router though.

wait you said you have two routers set up already, how can you buy a second? and how does that work? is the connection router>router>modem or something? are the settings complicated? @_@
    Your signature image is over the file size limit. Please reduce to 35,000 bytes or less. Refer to the forum rules for further sig limit details.
    my to do list:
    1. find a job
    2. take over the world
    3. buy groceries

you can subnet routers to each other so they function as a switch with seperate but additional encryption, since it is hardwired to the other router it does not require a key to send it's information through but the DS or Wii or other device can connect to it some people do this because they feel wep is insecure and are afraid of mac address spoofing so they don't use that filter instead. you then have to run some other settings to limit the access of the wep secured router but it isn't really that difficult. the only issue you'll run into is when certain providers have a proprietary router/modem dual unit which will have such annoying restrictions as the subnetted router has to use a different IP for it's settings menu, ie if your provider router uses 192.168.1.1 you can not subnet a router that also uses 192.168.1.1 but anything else would work fine. Me I just use a 24 port switch.

Another reason to use 2 routers subnetted is so that one doesn't get overloaded and just dump the whole network so it's split across 2 receiving points then hardwired through to the net.

Quote Originally Posted by RowenOfStrata View Post
    you can subnet routers to each other so they function as a switch with seperate but additional encryption, since it is hardwired to the other router it does not require a key to send it's information through but the DS or Wii or other device can connect to it some people do this because they feel wep is insecure and are afraid of mac address spoofing so they don't use that filter instead. you then have to run some other settings to limit the access of the wep secured router but it isn't really that difficult. the only issue you'll run into is when certain providers have a proprietary router/modem dual unit which will have such annoying restrictions as the subnetted router has to use a different IP for it's settings menu, ie if your provider router uses 192.168.1.1 you can not subnet a router that also uses 192.168.1.1 but anything else would work fine. Me I just use a 24 port switch.

Another reason to use 2 routers subnetted is so that one doesn't get overloaded and just dump the whole network so it's split across 2 receiving points then hardwired through to the net.
    you just blew my @%$&ing mind thnx!
    Your signature image is over the file size limit. Please reduce to 35,000 bytes or less. Refer to the forum rules for further sig limit details.
    my to do list:
    1. find a job
    2. take over the world
    3. buy groceries

Quote Originally Posted by leviayurashyguy View Post
    wait you said you have two routers set up already, how can you buy a second? and how does that work? is the connection router>router>modem or something? are the settings complicated? @_@
    No, no, I was saying I have two routers set up and it works well but I wasn't sure if you wanted to buy a second router and attempt the same setup because I assumed you just have one router. Also, RowenOfStrata did a good explanation of the two router set-up, a lot better than I could too.