Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Scholar of Arcane Arts RuneseekerMireille's Avatar

Default Advice for my Newman...

My female newman is now level 70, and i'm having problems deciding which way to go with her type. I want her to be a guntecher, and I was wondering out of Force, Ranger, and Braver would be the best way to go towards that goal. In using Ranger right now and it feels alright, but considering how important buffing/debuffing is, I feel I would be missing the level 30 Shifta/Deband/Jellen/Zalure. And Braver's have the most EX Traps, but at the expense of both the level 30 buff/debuffs and the thrid bullet of cards. Any recommendations?

Hearty Official Member Chuck_Norris's Avatar

Cards are great chain builders. I'd say Ranger, since you'll still be able to use okay techs, and can use them as finishing moves after building up a long chain with the level 3 card.

use braver best class for starter for newman lv up going pretty fast use ex traps at right moment in the mission also buff debuff heal lv 20 thats already enough to get trough this game offline and for online u just need a good party come to this chat if ya wanna party or questions am almost always on xD http://xat.com/PhantasyStarPortable2 ... my alt fem newman start with braver think i'll make it ranger after maxed braver cause PP+ 10 at lv 2 PP + 20 at lv 15 and PP restore at lv 25 that should make it up for ranger and the rest wel force i guess =]

They're both pretty good. Braver will have a bit more survivalbility, better trap use and better techs...at the cost of some gun advantages. Melee is a bit more of an option. You may find yourself ditching second charge ability in favor of finishing with techs as a braver, thus freeing up some priceless ability points. Either way stay as a braver long enough to learn the bomb improvement ability, it will help both ranger and braver greatly.

Some melee is used for all PP dependent play styles...well... maybe a ranger with cards with PP save at level 30 and wand for teching may work, but generally you switch to the whip for some fast PP gain. A lil melee skillz doesn't hurt when that comes up.
    Last edited by THOTH; Feb 26, 2010 at 07:20 PM.

Scholar of Arcane Arts RuneseekerMireille's Avatar

So I guess that Force is completely out of the question then? Is lv30 Shifta/Deband/Jellen/Zalure is not needed? Level 20 bullets/techs are not a problem?

Hearty Official Member Chuck_Norris's Avatar

I think it's more than Force overall is a party class. Buffs and debuffs are nice, but if you're soloing, or have someone else doing that for you, it's just time wasted where you could be killing. Techs are also just awful for building chains. So again, their final hit is usually only useful in a group, after the other players have built up a chain. And chances are, someone else would of broken it while you were casting.

You're going for a Guntecher build though, right? GT never had high level techs in the first place. They were always a gunner first and foremost.

Shizuru's Twin Daggers is the only melee you need. Kills, build chains, and regenerates PP.
    Emilia's rod with resta zalure shifta deband is all the teching you'll need.
    Twin Handgun is the only gun you'll need. Builds chains with good range and ATA.

Any class can use the above effectively, although I recommend Br because they are nearly invincible late game.

Deragonite the original posted explicitly stated gun teching. Please don't become one of those obsessive "There's a distinctly fastest way to beat the game and EVERYONE SHOULD DO IT ANY THING ELSE IS POINTLESS" people, because it gets annoying to the rest of us.

Any way, if gun teching is the desired play method case cards+wand are the best way to go by default. Likewise rifles with ranged bullets will always be useful to a degree. Agree about twin handgun though.

Also Deragonite, remember that Newman rangers have EVP that's similar to cast bravers, so they are also nearly invincible.

Edit in forgot to say: Forces don't really use guns that well, to be frank...their accuracy is really bad. If you really want to tech alot and use a few guns a cast force may be the best way to go.
    Last edited by THOTH; Feb 26, 2010 at 09:27 PM.

If you want to play a Guntecher-like class, go with Ranger. It's got the stats of Fortegunner combined with the TP of Guntecher and MST of Acrotecher. Plus all your favorite guns are at half price to add with type extend. But, as mentioned above, you may wish to get Braver to 8 or so for the PP Boost and Burst Bomber.

Quote Originally Posted by Deragonite View Post
    Shizuru's Twin Daggers is the only melee you need. Kills, build chains, and regenerates PP.
    Emilia's rod with resta zalure shifta deband is all the teching you'll need.
    Twin Handgun is the only gun you'll need. Builds chains with good range and ATA.

Any class can use the above effectively, although I recommend Br because they are nearly invincible late game.
    Last I recall, Guntechers weren't known for spamming Twin Daggers. The OP wants to play a class similar to Guntecher. Spamming Twin Daggers isn't even close to it as far as I'm concerned. I know this method is one of the fastest ways to play at high level, but not everyone wants to do it. The OP specifically asked for a class like Guntecher, not a melee class.

As people have said, go Ranger, but maybe go Braver until Br Lv8 to get Burst Bomber incase you want to use Traps.

HUnewearl power since 2003. NGS Official Creator (SectionSkyly)