Default Challenge Mode Impressions

Challenge mode is one of the best features of this game, and its meant to be played with 4 players. I've only beaten up to stage 5 so far with a friend in ad-hoc mode, but it wasn't easy. There were times when looking at the time elapsed, and the enemies that spawned in the last room, you realize you are out gunned and another person or two would be really helpful. Suffice it to say, good luck on anyone trying to get Hyakkaryouran with just one other person (I don't think the damage output of just 2 people would make this possible).

Luck is also a big factor in c-mode, since the spawns can vary slightly, but there can be glowing super versions of enemies too. Its horrible to see one of these types in the last room, since those enemies tend to be the hardest.

Since we were playing ad-hoc, its great to be able to communicate a strategy (i.e 'chain for me!', 'don't use (element) handgun!', 'lure them to the mine', 'I'll run around and you snipe them'). Or to mention what items you can drop (spare mates or unusable/extra weapons).

In PSO (and this was detailed in one of the many great c-mode guides) there were good guide lines for dropping items that you didn't need (drop them at the door to the next room), a shortcut method of announcing how many mates you had (#-#-# 'monomate, dimate, trimate'). Did any of this follow through to PSP2's internet multi-mode?

Things remembered from PSO c-mode that still apply:

1) Hit everything, and try to let others hit them too. Sharing the exp can be much more important than doing the kill.

2) Use level up heal to conserve mates. This can drastically cut down use of healing items, but don't be too risky with this. Its best done if the next one or two enemies will level you.

3) If you don't need/use an item/weapon, drop it so others can see if they can.

4) Use traps wisely.

New things from PSP2 c-mode:

1) Watch for chains so you can exploit them.

2) If you don't need/use a skill, drop it so others can see if they can. Remember that you can also unequip PA disks.

Anyone else having as much fun/trouble playing this mode?

I only got to stage two.
    Reality hits like a baseball bat, duck-taped to a bus thats moving very fast!
    Japanese body pillows - Why not go the next mile and buy a blow up doll?
    Old people, they may look friendly but can you really trust them?
    Light-Blessed Crusader's Divine Rainbow Hand of Just Righteousness
    http://www.vat19.com/dvds/worlds-largest-gummy-bear.cfm

Played it to get Extend Codes =) I want one more for the Laser Cannon but, =(, it's not very fun for me because it focuses on time and not survival.

It's rather easy with four people, provided you don't fall in to any traps or run in to any boost monsters.

Phantasy Dad Online II Dragwind's Avatar

I can't wait to get some friends together to do this.
    PSO, PSU, PS:Po, PSZ | PSO2: Jergraw (All classes 90) Lunaeris Demoria (Fo/Te 90) Onlak (Hr 90)
    -**Tech crafting max- message me for crafts**-

Forum Rules - Read it!

Have to admit I haven't tried challenge mode as of yet.

Quote Originally Posted by Ashura Vengeance View Post
    Have to admit I haven't tried challenge mode as of yet.
    You should. Especially before the "second season" of challenge mode comes out. I have a feeling that the rewards will be different so you should try the current set of levels and stock up on extend codes soon.

I haven't seen people communicating about mates much (the general assumption being that there's just enough), but rather than dropping any weapon, it's more convenient to remember what other classes there's on your team, so the others don't need to waste their time checking items you could've known would be useless to them anyway.

Finally finished c-mode with a friend...unfortunately didn't hit the target time so no extend code (have to be within 2 hours and 30 minutes). It can be done with just one other person, but stage 5, 6, and 7 are harsh. Using a hunter the entire time, I was given a sword to use most times and the skills Grand Crasher and Tornado Dance...it can be quite horrible for those who hate using the sword (at least I had unsealed Houzuki prior to playing these stages and got used to the sword).

Its interesting, but not quite PSO's challenge mode. Its not really challenging, its more like how well you know the stage. Challenge Mode is supposed to make something as simple as a Brand+6 be a blessing and damage something you run from constantly. Its also not nearly as long.

That and the drops wern't handled in a way to make it challenging either. Dropping stuff was nice, but the drops severely needed to be universal. It was way too convenient.

Still fun for PSU anyway.