Page 1 of 9 1234 ... LastLast
    In the magical land of beautiful women and candy bars

Default Braver build advice

So yeah, title basically explains it all. I like Braver, its good, its awesome. Eventually I will go level up other types (like HU and/or RA), but I will main Braver in the end.

So to those of you who use it, care to give any advice on making a good Braver?

Currently my character is:
    Human (female) Lvl. 96 l Braver [16]

Abilities currently equipped (only have 7 slots right now):
    HP Boost +50
    HP Restore
    PP Escape Save
    Partnership
    Burst Bomber
    Saber Strike

The Partnership and Saber Strike were fillers really. Wasn't sure what to put in.

Weapons I use:
    Spears: C-A
    Twin Sabers: C-A
    Twin Daggers: C-A
    Sabers: C-S
    Twin Handguns: C-A
    Rods: C-A
    Shields: C-S
    PSP2i:
    Akira l Human (F) HU3/RA22/BR50 Lv.200
    Saiyuki l CAST (F) HU50/RA22/BR5 Lv.200

I would get pp boost and pp high boost personally (adds about 6 mana every 5 seconds in addition to the increased max).
    Reality hits like a baseball bat, duck-taped to a bus thats moving very fast!
    Japanese body pillows - Why not go the next mile and buy a blow up doll?
    Old people, they may look friendly but can you really trust them?
    Light-Blessed Crusader's Divine Rainbow Hand of Just Righteousness
    http://www.vat19.com/dvds/worlds-largest-gummy-bear.cfm

My abilities are:

Professional (requires Braver LV30, I think)
    Burst Bomber or PP Boost (depending on whether or not I play online)
    PP High Boost/PP Restorite (apparently High Boost is better, I still haven't tested this myself)
    PP Escape Save
    Full Charge (requires Ranger LV2)

As you get higher level you will eventually drop Shields from your gameplay, as enemies become faster and start to have more and more health. Blocking with a Two-Handed weapon is still very effective.

You might want to drop that Saber Strike for something else, that ability is not helping you much, and as a HUmarl, you won't be needing that HP Boost (as Resta LV10 should Full Heal), and you have a lot of evasion.

As for the weapons, they're all effect ones, and they depend on how you play. The only thing I would suggest is picking up a Rifle for Dragon Bosses (and De Rol Le).
    Vanguard Race Guide ~ Japanese DLC In All Regions
    Announcement from SEGA: There are minor delays on ships 1~10 due to a signal failure. All other lines are running a good service.

PP Guard Save is a silly ability to have, it's not as if timing is very difficulty in PSPo2. Just Guard only adds to the chain if you're using a Shield.

Making a good Braver.... is easy, just drop those EX Traps.

I wish people wouldn't use MMORPG terms in Phantasy Star, especially PSPo2, which is very close to being an Action game where getting hit is mostly avoidable.
    Announcement from SEGA: There are minor delays on ships 1~10 due to a signal failure. All other lines are running a good service.

Quote Originally Posted by Izuna View Post
    My abilities are:

Professional (requires Braver LV30, I think)
    Burst Bomber or PP Boost (depending on whether or not I play online)
    PP High Boost/PP Restorite (apparently High Boost is better, I still haven't tested this myself)
    PP Escape Save
    Full Charge (requires Ranger LV2)

As you get higher level you will eventually drop Shields from your gameplay, as enemies become faster and start to have more and more health. Blocking with a Two-Handed weapon is still very effective.

You might want to drop that Saber Strike for something else, that ability is not helping you much, and as a HUmarl, you won't be needing that HP Boost (as Resta LV10 should Full Heal), and you have a lot of evasion.

As for the weapons, they're all effect ones, and they depend on how you play. The only thing I would suggest is picking up a Rifle for Dragon Bosses (and De Rol Le).
    Ah yes, that ever-so-annoying De Rol Le (even back in psp1, where RA/GM was the only class that made it just a bit better to fight it)

PP High Boost adds 20 doesn't it? I figure PP Restore would be better since it adds 5 to the amount you recover per second.

I think I will be keeping Burst Bomber (who doesnt love traps?)

How does Professional work? Reduce striking time as in with regular attacks or Just Attacks, when you make the button flash when timed right? So then it be kinda like Fell Embrace (or any other variation of it) but constant.

I like Sabers, from psp1, is why I use them. Though, I can't decide if I should keep my Spear (Lvl50, 40% Light) also with me now that i have a 31% Light Blackheart.

So Full Charge would be recommended with dualies? The most I use them for is for the occasional needed range damage and the usual combo builder (that is if the AI's dont f' it up by using a skill/charged shot).
    PSP2i:

Full Charge is a massive boost for any Range weapon, give it a try and see what you think.
    Spears are mostly awesome because of Dus Skaad, but I refrain from using them whenever possible because I find them boring. Double Sabers are a little worst than Dual Daggers technically, but I love them to bits; stick with the saber if you love it .

Professional makes Just Attacks come out faster, it's really really cool =).

There are tons of builds for Braver. I'd like to make a guide for end-game braver play, particularly for optimizing the class. Keep in mind that for almost every mission and every race, you're going to have a different set up for optimal performance.

One of the most general Braver builds that does well in most missions (only optimal in a few missions though) is the Death Trap Braver build.

Ability Points
    Elemental Hit (2)
    Burst Bomber (1)
    PP Skill Save (2)
    +20 PP (2)
    +10 PP (1)

Weapons
    Shizuru's Twin Daggers (Extended, either 10* or 13* version)
    Twin Elysions (or any twin sabers of the proper elements)
    Twin Handguns for building chains
    Rod/Madoog for buffs/healing

Armor
    Your best armor
    Proper resists
    SUV/Mirage Blast
    Stat boosts

Like I said this build is a very general build that works well in most missions. However most missions require other builds to do them to the best of your ability. The heavy focus on PP is to allow you to endlessly spam Renkai for lvl3 or lvl4 incapacitate.

Taken from a previous post of mine to demonstrate how you'll need a bunch of different set ups to play optimally:

Quote Originally Posted by Lolitron View Post
    I have a different set up for a lot of missions... I always complain about how PSPo2 should have savable ability pallets, armor pallets, and weapon pallets. Well here [are my set ups] for the main missions I spam. I also have different set ups for my cast. It's a pain in the ass to set up every time you want to do a different mission. My advice is to just do the mission, try different abilities, and figure out what's best for the mission. Your ability points are mission based and there is no set up that is optimal for all missions.

EVP Set up on beast braver for MAX II S (only 7 ability points atm)

Abilities
    +20 PP (2)
    +10 PP (1)
    +20 EVP (1)
    -10% Striking PP Cost (2)
    Burst Bomber (1)

Armor and Slots
    15* GRM Armor (no 15* Tenora armor yet)
    +25 EVP
    +25 EVP
    +20 EVP
    +50 EVP/DFP (buff resistant)

PP Set up on beast braver for Gamega (MP Farming)

Abilities
    +20 PP (2)
    +10 PP (1)
    -40% PP on rolling (1)
    -10% Striking PP Cost (2)
    Burst Bomber (1)

Armor and Slots
    15* GRM Armor (no 15* Tenora armor yet)
    Freeze / Resist
    +25 ATA
    +25 ATA
    +25 ATA

EXP set up for Magashi Eradication for Beast HU (haven't done it as BR on my beast yet)

Abilities
    +100 HP (2)
    +50 HP (1)
    Recovery Item Boost (1)
    EXP Boost (4)

Armor
    42% 14* GRM Armor
    Stun / Resist
    +25 ATA
    +25 ATA
    +25 ATA
    Full Charge Shot is not as good as most people believe it is (hence why it only costs 2 ability points). If any of you can guess/know why this is the case, you get a cookie and a small slice of respect.

PP High Boost is overall much better than PP Restore. PP High Boost not only boosts your MAX PP by 20, but it also boosts your PP regeneration rate. PP Restore boosts only regeneration rate and just a tad more than PP High Boost. The source is from the sakura wiki.

From my personal experience, Professional is useless. I can't tell what it does except for MAYBE reduce the hit stun on the normal attack of striking weapons. It does NOT reduce the hit stun of PA's, therefore making a potentially useful ability useless. I did not notice any difference in Just Attacks with Professional either.

Twin Sabers, Spears, Knuckles, and Twin Handguns are the best weapons in the game. They each have their roles and are uncontested in each of those roles. Trap and EX Trap AOE damage covers the "instant 7000 damage per monster to 5 monsters in small circle" category which is really the only thing the weapons listed above can't do. Techs can kind of replicate trap damage and function, but that's like comparing Spinning Break to Blade Destruction in terms of effectiveness. I'd add Twin Daggers to the list but they are only good for their incapacitate status effect.
    Last edited by Lolitron; Aug 9, 2010 at 07:40 PM.
    www.xat.com/psp2 to chat about psp2 and to run with an english speaking psp2 community.

【JP PSPo2:i】 [FNewm Lvl83 FO11] [FDewm Lvl90 FO12] [FCast Lvl200 HU30 BR30] [FBeast Lvl198 HU30 BR 28]

Quote Originally Posted by Lolitron View Post
    There are tons of builds for Braver. I'd like to make a guide for end-game braver play, particularly for optimizing the class. Keep in mind that for almost every mission and every race, you're going to have a different set up for optimal performance.

One of the most general Braver builds that does well in most missions (only optimal in a few missions though) is the Death Trap Braver build.

Ability Points
    Elemental Hit (2)
    Burst Bomber (1)
    PP Skill Save (2)
    +20 PP (2)
    +10 PP (1)

Weapons
    Shizuru's Twin Daggers (Extended, either 10* or 13* version)
    Twin Elysions (or any twin sabers of the proper elements)
    Twin Handguns for building chains
    Rod/Madoog for buffs/healing

Armor
    Your best armor
    Proper resists
    SUV/Mirage Blast
    Stat boosts

Like I said this build is a very general build that works well in most missions. However most missions require other builds to do them to the best of your ability. The heavy focus on PP is to allow you to endlessly spam Renkai for lvl3 or lvl4 incapacitate.

Taken from a previous post of mine to demonstrate how you'll need a bunch of different set ups to play optimally:

Full Charge Shot is not as good as most people believe it is (hence why it only costs 2 ability points). If any of you can guess/know why this is the case, you get a cookie and a small slice of respect.

PP High Boost is overall much better than PP Restore. PP High Boost not only boosts your MAX PP by 20, but it also boosts your PP regeneration rate. PP Restore boosts only regeneration rate and just a tad more than PP High Boost. The source is from the sakura wiki.

From my personal experience, Professional is useless. I can't tell what it does except for MAYBE reduce the hit stun on the normal attack of striking weapons. It does NOT reduce the hit stun of PA's, therefore making a potentially useful ability useless. I did not notice any difference in Just Attacks with Professional either.

Twin Sabers, Spears, Knuckles, and Twin Handguns are the best weapons in the game. They each have their roles and are uncontested in each of those roles. Trap and EX Trap AOE damage covers the "instant 7000 damage per monster to 5 monsters in small circle" category which is really the only thing the weapons listed above can't do. Techs can kind of replicate trap damage and function, but that's like comparing Spinning Break to Blade Destruction in terms of effectiveness. I'd add Twin Daggers to the list but they are only good for their incapacitate status effect.
    Where does elemental hit come from? (what type?)

And again, where can I get Shizuru's twin daggers? The 10* and/or the 13*

I am at 96, so I can't tackle the rest of the Hard Story mode missions yet, but the second I do beat it on Hard, I'm getting me some Twin Elysions (depending on how many Gold W. Badges I have).

What about double sabers then? In damage terms or relative use.

I'm still working on getting my first S-ranked twin sabers @~@ Hoping to get a Tyrant Spada/Grand Cross from The Mad Beasts A or Ameno-murakumo from SEED Awakened A.
    PSP2i:

PP High Boost adds 20 doesn't it? I figure PP Restore would be better since it adds 5 to the amount you recover per second.
    PP restoration for all races is based on your races max PP. So if you have higher max PP you also have more PP restored every second. Technically pp high boost doesn't increase your PP regain, but it raises your max PP so while your still only getting 4% max PP back every second(human) thats 4% of 20 or .8 PP back every second. (PP restorite gives 1 PP back every second).

PP restorate gives 1 PP back every second flat. The reason PP high boost gives more PP back every second if you're a robot is because for robots their PP regen is... I wanna say 7%???. Thats's just a guess I don't have the exact calculations infront of me, but anyway the math comes out to something like 7% of 20 is 1.4 PP back every second which trumps PP restorate's 1 mana back every second.

I should really just make a post that has all of these in one so it can hopefully get stickied.
    Last edited by kongajinken; Aug 10, 2010 at 02:28 AM.
    Reality hits like a baseball bat, duck-taped to a bus thats moving very fast!
    Japanese body pillows - Why not go the next mile and buy a blow up doll?
    Old people, they may look friendly but can you really trust them?
    Light-Blessed Crusader's Divine Rainbow Hand of Just Righteousness
    http://www.vat19.com/dvds/worlds-largest-gummy-bear.cfm

As I said, apparently PP High Boost is better, but I haven't tested it myself.

@Lolitron, I take it you don't know what hit-stun means. What Professional decreases is called start-up, and the reason why I personally use it is because I use Absolute Dance. Professional works to decrease the start-up of an attack which is followed by a Just Attack. It's not game changing, but it's fun to use, and makes things safer.

Also, I'd like to know why you think Full Charge isn't worth it, because for it, it doubles the power of an charge attack. When you break a chain with a full charge, you can still follow it up with another one. I assume you understand that it doesn't increase the DPS by any significant amount, if you were to use a flurry of single charges.

Another thing, I think it was kongajiken who did a write-up about the effectiveness of Elemental Hit; and apparently it didn't make much of a difference, if any practical difference. Personally I have never used any Death Weapons, mostly because I would find that sort of thing very boring. Elemental Hit comes from the Ranger type at a high LV, I guess in the 20s.

Double Sabers are just like Dual Daggers; they're mostly similar, but Dual Daggers tend to be better in more circumstances. Using a Double Saber as a LV50 will make the game very easy as it is very overpowered at first, especially since Cyclone Dance is so safe.

Lolitron, the main difference between how we play is that I try to play safe, trying to get hit a little as possible; whereas it appears that you try to eliminate time taken to run missions.

EDIT: I noticed that you chose to list a load of EVP Stat Boosts for Armour Units... he's a BRmarl, he definitely does not need them. You also listen Knuckles as being one on the best weapons in the game.... I highly disagree with this, not that it matters anyway, I have managed to make my way through Max IV with just dropping Traps, Dus Skaad, Resta, and Cyclone Dance.
    Last edited by Izuna; Aug 10, 2010 at 03:57 AM.