Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: 3D Movies Suck

Angry 3D Movies Suck

Hard.

I hate it, so, so, so much. Even Avatar *gasp*

I think my biggest problem with it is wearing the glasses. I'm nearly blind without my normal glasses, so I have to wear the 3D glasses over my regular glasses, which is a pain in the ass. Not to mention that my peripheral vision isn't covered by the 3D glasses, making the movie look weird. I'm getting lasik surgery done on my eyes next week, so maybe I'll enjoy 3D more, with only one pair of glasses on.

Another thing that bothers me, is that it is so gimmicky. I don't get what it adds to the experience. I get more sick than I do excited when seeing a 3D movie. My brain gets so confused for many reasons. It gets confused because I don't know what to look at. The 3D severely messes with my depth perception.

I also hate when the alternate the text in the credits. That really pisses me off. One line of text will be in the background and the other line will be in the foreground, which pisses me off, severely.

I'm stating this rant because I just went see Toy Story 3 in 3D tonight, and I thought that the 3D implementation was the worst I've seen yet. It added nothing to the experience, whatsoever. Sometimes I'd even lift my glasses to see if the movie was actually in 3D. I hate Disney for pushing 3D so much and tacking it onto each movie that comes out. The only movie that had slightly decent 3D, was Avatar. At least it felt right, unlike every other 3D movie out there.
    Last edited by joefro; Jun 18, 2010 at 06:32 AM. Reason: changed thread title to more accurately state my rant

im gonna have to agree, mostly but not entirely, i wish they stopped using it too, everyon just freaks wen they hear *insert movie here* is in 3D, and i just think, y does it really matter. when im watchin movies, i dont really notice anyth 3D affects at all after the first 5 minutes or so, and im pretty mad about game systems going 3d too, altho at least witrh 3DS u can turn it off.

I've never experienced a video game in 3D, so I can't offer an opinion on it. I will say, however, that if it is anything like the movies, it won't be good. After all the positive things being said about the 3DS and its glasses-free technology, I'll give it a shot. I will never be sold on the PS3 3D, though. Especially not if I have to get a new TV and expensive glasses to go with.

Well, I've got good new and bad news for you. The good news is, 3D is a dead technology. What we're seeing now is just a short blip of a revival... and eventually it will move beyond needing the glasses to something more like alternating frames in parallax, getting rid of the glasses... but even that is just transitory. The end goal will be Augmented Reality. Think... holodeck from Star Trek, except without the holograms. Instead, you'll have direct optical stimulation which acts as a "filter" or "digital plane" between physical reality and perceptual reality.

The Bad News... it's going to require glasses. Right now, they're using cell phones and PC's, but soon you'll be wearing the glasses tethered to your cellphone with a discreet video cable... and then all enclosed within the glasses themselves. Perhaps for greater functionality, there will be a chassis that you can implant into your skull to allow easy access for upgrading hardware and removal for recharging... sort of like cochlear implants, but without the direct nerve stimulation.

Of course, that's just a fictional depiction from a movie. Sci-Fi right? Not quite. Companies like BMW are already working on prototypes for these AR units for their service techs.

On the upside of this, given a few years, they will transition away from glasses to contact lenses... and from there, direct stimulation of the optic nerves or the visual cortex. At the same time, EEG based BCI interfaces will continue to advance (there's already some commercial versions), allowing thought-based manipulation of the AR interface. What is especially promising is the possibility for external cortical stimulation. Generally, the brain will do most of the work on it's own "filling in the blanks" of stimuli and creating sensation during viewing. For example, the body transfer illusion.

But this could be enhanced with direct stimulation, targeting a specific region of the brain responsible for, say, scent cues or spatial orientation.

So imagine you're watching Cliffhanger:

This will allow you to "step into" Sylvester Stallone's perspective, complete with not only full visual and auditory representation of the character's perspective - but additional sensory info, such as stimulation of the part of the parietal lobe where spatial orientation is processed. I doubt we'll know enough about the brain by that point to "control perception" in any way... but just interjecting a bit of noise can interfere with the orientation enough to cause vertigo, adding to the sensation that you're really "in" the movie.

So yeah... fuck the hype over 3D. It's a neat effect for the time being, but nothing (IMO) to really champion or invest in. AR is the future... and 3D, it's like a fashion statement, back in style and soon to be forgotten again.
    Last edited by Sinue_v2; Jun 18, 2010 at 07:16 AM.

Feed men, and then ask of them virtue!

i just want a normal movie, i dont want all this advanced stuff, a lot of times , at least at home, i watch movies with people for the social element with all this new tech and stuff, im going to like movies less and less and video games less and less, i no way support a virtual reality, people play video games to get a break from life, and call of duty makes money off people who wanna sit for hours playing, if we go to holodeck, it will hardly be video games anymore.

It's alright, but really another excuse to charge a wad of cash just to see it in 3D. While we're at it, they show plenty of movies in 3D that really don't need to be shown.

I saw Avatar in 3D, and I'll tell you this. You sit in the front, you're #$@%'d.

Another problem with 3D movies is that (generally) the movies aren't as good as 2D movies. The reason behind this is that (probably) less effort is put into 3D movies than 2D movies. But yes, 3D movies are (usually) awful.

3D in movies is largely used as a gimmick, hopefully as all of this shiny new 3D tech becomes more mainstream it'll become less so.

Dreams of surfing rappies NegaTsukasa's Avatar

Obviously its a re-born fad. history does repeat its self eh? except this time it all about depth instead of a hand reaching out and trying to grab you.