Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast

Lightbulb

Quote Originally Posted by Cruciarius View Post
    A username system would likely involve monthly fees, since they would need to store them some place. It'd need to be that way so multiple people don't have the same name.

I'm against having a monthly fee console, for online features.
    So am I, but Playstation Network is free for online features. I figured Nintendo would have no problems there.

Quote Originally Posted by Cruciarius View Post
    A username system would likely involve monthly fees, since they would need to store them some place. It'd need to be that way so multiple people don't have the same name.

I'm against having a monthly fee console, for online features.
    they could just replace the friend code with a universal user name on the DS itself, and back it up with a hidden, auto FC to avoid conflicts of names.

Especially given the demographic the wii is aimed at, id bet the FC's are there more for marketing rather than practicality. They aren't practical at all, but for a soccer mom watching little Timmy play online, a random number probably seems safer.

Nintendo has always catered to the family friendly crowd (mk1 anyone?), but after the sales of the cube, the families are the ones buying the wii. I'd bet its a marketing move to quell the ignorant fears. After all, this is Nintendo we are talking about, they have never been known to make completely stupid moves for no reason, unlike ermmm..Sega has (32x anyone? Sonic 06?). That motive and mindset just fallowed onto the DS aswell.

I'd say give us the option, but like i said, soccer moms etc are their bread and butter right now.

i am with chaosmaster in that i think that fc's are not bad if you go to a place like this, so you can get other peoples fc's. it is the lack of lobby, and sitting in a game loading screen until someone joins, and only playing with whoever joins while you wait that is the terrible part. the fc's, you get your friends, then thats that.
    PSZ:friend code is 0775 6033 7984(wifi not working)
    lvl 78 racast stealth. lvl 79 fonewearl crystal. lvl 49 humarl ruby

Lightbulb

Quote Originally Posted by steaIth View Post
    i am with chaosmaster in that i think that fc's are not bad if you go to a place like this, so you can get other peoples fc's. it is the lack of lobby, and sitting in a game loading screen until someone joins, and only playing with whoever joins while you wait that is the terrible part. the fc's, you get your friends, then thats that.
    And that's great and all, but if you're a person that likes to be able to jump in and play while finding friends at the same time, a centralized network would be optimal. And forums like this could still exist. It'd work in essentially the same way, with screennames instead of Friend Codes...

I didn't really like entering in a bunch of numbers just to add someone as a friend. And since you cannot find out what theirs is without having to ask them either in person or through other means (outside of the game, since you'll probably never meet them without that friend code). It, like you've said, an inconvenience. It does "work" but it isn't user friendly.

I think this could have been worked out much better. And you don't have to have a paying service to get a permanent username. I mean, look at free MMOs you find pretty much everywhere on the internet. You get a permanent username and character name.

Sadistic Psycho Murderer☆ SadieTheSadist's Avatar

um...
    isn't having fc's the point of this?
    Doesn't every wi-fi compatible game with abilities to talk to others have a manual saying"don't make friends with others from online forums",or anything similar?
    Sure,ps0 was meant to be MMO-ish,but they(nintendo)are just trying to prevent all the bad possibilities

Besides,nintendo doesn't exactly have any games server-based,right?

I'm A FOnewearl!!! :P I'll blast you away with a Zonde!!!X3

I think that there would be nothing wrong with FCs if you could send friend requests in games with random people to "auto-exchange" fcs and automatically add eachother to your lists. PSZ made an attempt at this by adding the rate player system, which if I'm not mistaken raises the chances of playing with the same person if you rate them higher.

But an actual friend invite would be much better, similar to the way you can add eachother in Friend games, but be able to do it with randoms

HUcast (Under LV30)

I'm still standing by my statement that FCs aren't absolute (Monster Hunter Tri had your typical server system), developers just have to handle the servers themselves. Course, complaining about the lack of servers or anything in PSZ is kinda stupid. The DS probably couldn't handle that many characters in a loby without blowing up. 3DS perhaps, but it depends on the processor in that thing.

Even though I'm sure some people are against it because it'd just be beating a near dead horse more, I'm really hoping for a PSO remake on the 3DS.

Quote Originally Posted by PSZFann View Post
    I hope the next PS they make is PSW !!! (Phantasy Star Wii!!!!)
    i hope this never sees the light of day. pso/psu/psz players are hardcore gamers, this means most of the fanbase dosnt have a wii. sadly alot of us are so hardcore that we will concider buying a consol just for a PS launch. this makes me crazy as there are very few titles for the wii that interest me. i have 3 freinds that have wiis' collecting dust and all of them regret buying it. also a motion control gimmick on a PS game makes me want to puke, its just bad. im going to have nightmares about playing PS w/wii mote.