Default CECHA01: what's the most I should pay?

Been wondering... since this FFXIV thing is getting closer, and there is now a substantial backlog of games that I'd like to play, maybe it's time to invest in a PS3. I don't care about Blu-Ray, and I don't think I'll need any more than the original 60GB. With my library of PS1 and PS2 games, however, backwards compatibility is mandatory.

Other than that, I don't know much more about the system than SONY trained me to know back in my testing days.

So what would you guys consider to be the maximum reasonable price for a nigh-4-year-old system?
    Tax the fucking churches.

You can get refurbished backwards compatible PS3 systems from Gamestop for about $300. http://www.gamestop.com/Catalog/Prod...oduct_id=69352

I think 300 is probably the cheapest you'll be able to get a backwards compatible PS3.
    Nothing is sacred. Not that it ever was.

Crazy Awesome Old Potato Man Guy HAYABUSA-FMW-'s Avatar

But that's the price of new "slim"?
    Yeah, without backwards compat, but Gamestop is marking it up for the feature. Ouch.

Possibly fight with eBay or game forums for trading to get it around $240 hopefully?

But I've never looked into it. And might want to think this one out how you are as well, soon enough too.

Also, PS3 is allowed and supported HDD swaps right? Find the older ones, grill style with even 20 or 40 if a good deal and banking on it not crapping out their yellow broken lights of death/doom. That's another option to look into.

Quote Originally Posted by HAYABUSA-FMW- View Post
    But that's the price of new "slim"?
    Yeah, without backwards compat, but Gamestop is marking it up for the feature. Ouch.

Possibly fight with eBay or game forums for trading to get it around $240 hopefully?

But I've never looked into it. And might want to think this one out how you are as well, soon enough too.

Also, PS3 is allowed and supported HDD swaps right? Find the older ones, grill style with even 20 or 40 if a good deal and banking on it not crapping out their yellow broken lights of death/doom. That's another option to look into.
    You have to be very, very careful though when looking for back-complat PS3. The 40 GB is not one of them.

Wikipedia has a nice chart up @ http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/PlayStation_3

Crazy Awesome Old Potato Man Guy HAYABUSA-FMW-'s Avatar

Yeah, have seen those, and the confusing charts on the Sony website, probably bookmarked it to check later. Really overwhelming the options they have offered so far. Changes and revisions.

Sorry for the misinformation about the 40 GB.

I wish they would have just never taken the feature out. To my understanding, PS2 can be emulated by software update, yet Sony has never said anything about it? Perhaps new feature in PS+?

a comfortable place between dreams and reality

Quote Originally Posted by joefro View Post
    I wish they would have just never taken the feature out. To my understanding, PS2 can be emulated by software update, yet Sony has never said anything about it? Perhaps new feature in PS+?
    They can make more money selling us a PS2 redux, like God of War and Sly Cooper collections.