Page 36 of 65 FirstFirst ... 263334353637383946 ... LastLast
    Obnoxious Little Frog Malachite's Avatar

PSU combat was slightly flashier, but equally as repetitive as PSO's. I'd like to see some way to mix attacks that are similar to Photon Arts with normal attacks, depending on the situation. Kind of like an advanced version of the light/hard attacks in PSO.

Nah man, normal attacks are boring. Just balance all the PAs and you don't have to worry about people spamming only three or four.

And PSU's combat may have been a little repetitive, but at least it wasn't as rigid and clunky as PSO's.

Bah, we still thinking in terms of PAs?

Well... if we are, I'd hope we aren't limited to a few at a time per weapon. Actually, I think it'd be great if PAs became MOVE SETS instead of a single attack chain! Now wouldn't that be awesome?

The time has finally come. I won't get my hopes up too much since PSU was not what I was hoping it would be. Techs should be independent from weapons, the skill leveling system from PSU was great for photon arts, after all the more you use the skill the better, it makes sense. However for techs there's the possibility of running into an enemy that is resistant to all your leveled spells. I want to see mags again, they were cool. I like the PSU combat system but I would like something more like the PSO quick menu for item use and weapon swaps. I'm excited to see what happens, but I'll keep my optimism to myself until I see some gameplay.

Sega's perspective. The PC is the most successful platform for the PSO&PSU games so far. They have a bigger player base there, and on top of that it's easier to maintain because they don't have to go through 3rd parties in order to verify their updates. Which I'm not sure if you noticed, disenfranchised half the player base in the West because of the conflicts they had with Sony. That last detail is the big one. Despite your insignificant whining about having to buy a super good PC, you can ride your whaaa~ambulance all the way to the bank and start saving. Because Sega's going to offer the best possible support to their largest amount of clients on the platform that's easiest and far less costly to maintain.

Not only that, I'm tired of you two waging personal quote wars against one another over a topic that's only tangentially related to the topic of PSO2's distant and extremely speculative release. The reality is, you either can or cannot afford a PC to play PSO2 on at the time of release. Sega does not personally owe every individual the right to play their product/service on platforms that they have no financial reason to support. Arguing over the theoretical cost of a PC is just an ego trip and Serious Business and I don't care who started it, I just finished it.

So let's get back to speculating about what these vague details about PSO2 mean!

"increased variety of client orders" I like increased variety, I am ALL OVER increased variety. That was my biggest criticism of PSU & Aoti, not enough variety. I assume the client refers to the game client... but what does orders refer to? Does it have something to do with how the game updates concurrent information to all the players? I refer to this blog post about the technical aspects of PSO and PSU's online modes. http://bumped.org/psublog/technical-...nd-portable-2/

I dunno. Why don't some of you try and tackle the other tricky bullet points?
    Last edited by Eidolus_Dyne; Sep 19, 2010 at 03:39 PM.

who cares how its made LONG AS "GLOBAL SUPPORT" MEANS ALL ONE SERVER NO MATTER WHAT COUNTRY.... anywho we will all end up playing it I cant freaking wait true psu did not live up to Pso i enjoyed my time on Psu. i will just have to cop a new pc i was thinkin of buying one for the star wars galaxies anyway LanVanDam here so see u all on PSO2

If you want PSU combat, play PSU. This is OUR sequel, finally. You have plenty of up to date PSU games to choose from.

Quote Originally Posted by Eidolus_Dyne View Post
    "increased variety of client orders" I like increased variety, I am ALL OVER increased variety. That was my biggest criticism of PSU & Aoti, not enough variety. I assume the client refers to the game client... but what does orders refer to? Does it have something to do with how the game updates concurrent information to all the players? I refer to this blog post about the technical aspects of PSO and PSU's online modes. http://bumped.org/psublog/technical-...nd-portable-2/

I dunno. Why don't some of you try and tackle the other tricky bullet points?
    I actually think client orders are the people you accept quests from

Quote Originally Posted by Zyrusticae View Post
    Bah, we still thinking in terms of PAs?

Well... if we are, I'd hope we aren't limited to a few at a time per weapon. Actually, I think it'd be great if PAs became MOVE SETS instead of a single attack chain! Now wouldn't that be awesome?
    OMG. You are my new best friend. I've been throwing this idea in people's faces forever. I drove my PSU friends crazy with all my "PSU would be so much better if PAs gave way to actual moves" type discussions. I really hope that photon arts just becomes the words for weapon move-sets or whatever. Locking moves away in a level tier kind of makes the game... flatter, because the game has to be playable with just the limited move set. If you give the players the moves, and then let them master their uses, you have a much more reliable learning curve.

The real question is, how would you do a more complex move-set? My idea was blatantly ripped from Devil May Cry 3. (because I'm in love with that game and I fellate it as frequently as I can) I think that it is an excellent big brother game to PSO in terms of action, the catapult launch pads in PSP2 remind me a lot of the jump pads in DMC3. Using just a single button and contextual combinations of lock-on and the cardinal movement directions (forward, left, right and back) you could give every melee weapon a default combo, a forward thrust attack, side stepping moves, and some kind of... manipulation move or combo finisher for the backwards strafe attack. Never mind that the secondary attack button previously used for PA's could be used for extra attack diversity.

The problem I see with giving each weapon their own move-set, is balancing them with one another so each one is unique, but equally effective in their own way. Letting the player choose a favorite weapon class by preference of style. But think about how this control scheme could effect Technique casting. You could equip general foie tech, and execute Gi, Ra, and Dam forms of it via strafing. Or equip a buff tech, and it could have like... 5 functions, all accessible through cardinal direction strafe casting. Maybe even give techs their own unique use to manipulate certain elements of the battle and environment. Instead of boring old elemental damage weakness circles.

Quote Originally Posted by Coldbrand View Post
    If you want PSU combat, play PSU. This is OUR sequel, finally. You have plenty of up to date PSU games to choose from.
    So you want not to be able to change directions while attacking, shoot a gun more than three times, or do any attacks with special animations that can do things like knock down enemies?