Page 10 of 11 FirstFirst ... 7891011 LastLast

What a shame. I've constantly been plugging in the codes as we got them, but now that we have this list it's like each code has lost it's value to me. I just plugged in a few decos codes and didn't even bother with the outfits as I like the one I'm currently wearing anyways.

Quote Originally Posted by Ffuzzy-Logik View Post
    How? It hurts potential advertising targeted towards people who already have the game? This does not make sense!
    Advertising is simply the act of getting someone to see a product or part of a product that may not already be aware or is low on information about said product. On any general forumt hat may have these codes being released slowly, any friggin' online game where people talk openly about it, who knows, it gets the word out more and the potential may not be massive but it is there.

I r i s - 13X -VaDewearl (3X)

Right, and if they were to go ahead and release the codes as planned anyway, they would still get the same effect.

What I don't get is how people act like SEGA owe them. SEGA does not have to release anything outside of Japan. In fact, they could close shop tomorrow internationally and they would still be in buisiness.

Be glad we have people like Ruby who has always been "one of us" working for SEGA, trying to do his part of spreading the word and bring in new audiences to the game. Defacating on this hard work has quite the opposite impact than people assume it will have. I think the PSO-W & PSUpedia communities should really watch their backs after this, I definitely does not show SEGA of Japan than we're worthy of their promotional funds.

Quote Originally Posted by Ffuzzy-Logik View Post
    How? It hurts potential advertising targeted towards people who already have the game? This does not make sense!
    The codes may be for people who own the game, but the news stories and promotions tied to the release of the codes would have also been seen by many people who don't own the game, and perhaps never even knew of it.

A perfect example is the story that Siliconera posted which included the code for the "Rappy of Hope" poster. Last time I checked, Siliconera was not a Phantasy Star fan site, which means there is potential to introduce new players to the game with grassroots marketing efforts like this.

Sure, they can still release the codes as planned, and probably should. It may just be harder to put together these promotions, as the exclusivity of the codes is no longer existent. I don't really know what all they had planned. The damage, if any, has already been done.

I actually think it was quite a good effort from Ruby and the community team to spread awareness of the game through these types of promotions and I hope they continue to stay involved with the community in this way.

Without having operated a Phantasy Star fan site for nearly the last 10 years, I think some people might be quick to overlook the significance of Sega's current level of involvement with the community. Go back 8 or 9 years and you were probably lucky to bump into a GM in-game. These days, we have many Sega staff members actively participating in the community and there is a lot more going on in terms of promotions, events, social marketing, and even support. It is in all of our best interests to help them continue these efforts.

Skilled Fighter

Its a bit of a shame this isnt it. I know I kind of feel sorry for that RubyEclipse dude as I kind of liked the way they were going to release the codes over time. As usual, people cannot wait, and have to have everything NOW!

I suppose if it really bothers you and you are strong willed, you can try and ignore them until they are released officially, but I doubt thats going o happen.

Sega should have implimented some way of locking the content so it had to be downloaded, and wasnt on the disc/install, that way they could have controlled when the content was released. As usual, they dont seem to learn from their past mistakes.

Quote Originally Posted by AndyPandy View Post
    Sega should have implimented some way of locking the content so it had to be downloaded, and wasnt on the disc/install, that way they could have controlled when the content was released.
    That's probably easier said than done though - they'd have to make deals with Sony, wait for approval of the content, then base the password release dates around weekly PSN updates. They might even have to pay Sony for hosting DLC.

That's all speculation on my part though.
    Working on the PSP2i fan translation with JamRules and the gang.

The best thing to do is to release the codes as if nothing happened. The general public that you are trying to advertise to will more than likely have no knowledge of this leak. And even if they did know I'm sure if they wanted the game the actual content of the codes would be able to sway them to buy it whether or not the codes were released from an official source.

So really Ruby just keep going on ahead with your plans. Not all fans of PSO/PSU are apart of this community. Release the codes on Kotaku, Joystiq, N4G, Anime related blogs/sites, etc...it gives them news to post and it gives PSP2 the advertisements it needs.

Oh and maybe make it like a scavenger hunt. It worked well enough for the .Hack series

Good luck

NC, USA (Online though, you may find me in the unofficial PSOW chat @ http://psoworld.weebly.com/)

My first post here, so I might as well do it in this topic. ^_^

I agree that a lot of people don't know about the cracked passwords. We still get someone who posts a single password on the GameFAQs board since they were given out.

It may be a pain that they're out of the box now, but that shouldn't deter Sega's plans.

First time posting here in a long time, and I don't expect Ruby to actually read or care about this, but after reading this it really has to be said...

After reading your response on here Ruby, regarding the 1% of people that "ruin" it for the rest of us, and have somehow hurt the community, I have to say that I believe you may have your sights set on the wrong enemy of Segas success here in the Western world.

If I'm reading this right, you are blaming people who just want to access the content they paid for thats on the disk, with ruining your attempts at advertising PSP2? Its odd to blame the community for the failings of sega at tieing the localization teams hands in forcing them to use a fatally flawed content delivery system, aka codes that can be guessed by any child with enough time on their hands.

The blame here solely lies in one place, and one place only, and you said it yourself. You have been handed nothing by your bosses to work with in promoting the game. The success and failure of most games rely on how they are marketed. Here we have PSP2, having no marketing BEFORE launch of the game (when most games sell 70+% of their lifetime sales), and relying on a very weak promo delivery system that could be broken by anyone, not just malicious community members. To top it off, the game is launching on the same day as Halo Reach, a port of another SEGA title in Sonic Adventure, and ONE WEEK after ANOTHER SEGA PSP property in Valkyria Chronicles. Its clear this game was given no thought in porting to the non JP market, just like 90% of other SEGA titles (Yakuza 3 launches on the same day as FF13 is another great example of SEGA giving no actual thought on non JP releases).

Then to add insult to injury, every time we hear from SEGA on its policy of porting games that they deem not "suitable" to the non-JP market, they spout off things like localization not doing games justice, or no interest in the games outside of Japan. Or we get community members who represent SEGA blaming the community for things that are well within their parent companies control if someone actually gave a damn.

This vision code issue could have easily been rectified if SEGA had of actually let you provide some form of DLC system. Why not do what they do and release the items inside missions available for download on the site. They could have remained on the disk, but only available in the missions that could be downloaded from your site. The game clearly supports this feature (maybe not intentionally, but clearly its there). All of this would have went swimmingly if only someone higher up had allowed the budget for hosting a 2.58mb file(the PSU2DOWN.DAT) on segas website and a little forethought on the situation at hand.

I don't know. Maybe its just me. I feel over the past 10 years that I have burnt out on SEGA in some ways. Maybe they are upset that the DC died off quick outside of japan, who knows. All I will say is that I will never forget the day I was playing blue burst in the early stages of the games life, and coming across hackers in game for the first time. After posting on the forums and having the thread locked and being called a liar, I got a nice PM from I believe Clumsy telling me to Shut up and stop sensationalizing over a hacker in the game, as it just gives him fame, and to leave him alone and it will go away.

Blue Bursts player base and economy was destroyed in under a month, and in no time the game was closed down.

I don't hate the team that are stuck with some of the hardest jobs on the planet in turning the single lemon that SoJ gives them, into lemonade for all. But don't turn on your community here when your ire should be aimed elsewhere.

Anyway, its 6am, I've been up for ages, if this reads really badly, forgive me, I'm tired.... back to playing PSP2 before bed.
    Last edited by scazza; Sep 25, 2010 at 04:53 AM.