You all might have noticed that the default title for reaching X number of posts is "Otaku". I think the following sums up what I think of that word...

The "I wish I was Japanese" anime nerd:

Everyone knows someone like this. They refer to themselves as "otaku" and they embrace everything Japanese, not necessarily because it's something unique or interesting, but because it's Japanese. They wear clothing with Japanese or Chinese characters on it that translate to English phrases like "good will" or "long life." They wouldn't be able to get away with wearing a shirt that said "long life" in English because it would just look stupid, but as soon as it's translated into kanji it suddenly becomes cool and mysterious? Please. Since they'll sooner die than admit that their fascination with everything Japanese is a sham, you'll occasionally sense how uneasy they become when confronted with something Japanese that's so lame and obviously for little girls that they almost start to back off from the mountain of stupid they've climbed up on. Almost.

http://maddox.xmission.com/anime_nerd.html

EDIT: Added link.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: 2Xtreme on 2003-03-09 09:44 ]</font>

Doesn't otaku mean "obsessive/obsessed"? It doesn't always have to be linked with anime - that is a US cultural mistake.

o_O

Dragoon Highlord of Blood
    Traveling the world burning everything in my path.

On 2003-03-09 09:43, 2Xtreme wrote:
    You all might have noticed that the default title for reaching X number of posts is "Otaku". I think the following sums up what I think of that word...

The "I wish I was Japanese" anime nerd:

Everyone knows someone like this. They refer to themselves as "otaku" and they embrace everything Japanese, not necessarily because it's something unique or interesting, but because it's Japanese. They wear clothing with Japanese or Chinese characters on it that translate to English phrases like "good will" or "long life." They wouldn't be able to get away with wearing a shirt that said "long life" in English because it would just look stupid, but as soon as it's translated into kanji it suddenly becomes cool and mysterious? Please. Since they'll sooner die than admit that their fascination with everything Japanese is a sham, you'll occasionally sense how uneasy they become when confronted with something Japanese that's so lame and obviously for little girls that they almost start to back off from the mountain of stupid they've climbed up on. Almost.

http://maddox.xmission.com/anime_nerd.html

EDIT: Added link.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: 2Xtreme on 2003-03-09 09:44 ]</font>
    Japanese people like me point an laugh at the people you described.

But those people you describe are not otaku. If anything you would call them Japidophiles. . .

Still I see no problem with the otaku title and if you want I could go find you the full and proper definition of otaku. . .

what's the big deal, titles can be changed anyhow, not like you're stuck with it.