Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default ddosing random people?

My friend and some other people believe that someone on PSU is ddosing random people. Is there anyway to protect against this?

What the hell is ddosing?
    NiceOnes

Definitions of DDOS on the Web:

A Distributed Denial of Service attack; a DoS attack that originates from many different (geographically and network topographically) sources, on a network of networks such as the internet

en.wiktionary.org/wiki/DDOS

A type of external Internet attack, in which multiple sources attack a single target system, with the goal being denial of service for its users. ...
    www.drcomputer.com/glossary.html
    A form of network denial of service (DoS) attack in which a master computer controls a number of client computers to flood the target (or victim) with traffic, using backdoor agent, client, or zombie software on a number of client machines.
    app1.dpim.go.th/svn/dses/DPIM500/DPIM500_Document/Tool/OIC%20Document/OICtext/Original/53_Information_Security_Policies_and_Standards/SC-Policy_A5.doc

Source:http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&s...F&ved=0CB4QkAE

Pretty much, taking all that into layman's terms, a DDoS attack is used to halt someone from going to certain websites (or any websites), or rendering someone unable to use an internet-based service, such as PSU.

Quote Originally Posted by BIG OLAF View Post
    Pretty much, taking all that into layman's terms, a DDoS attack is used to halt someone from going to certain websites (or any websites), or rendering someone unable to use an internet-based service, such as PSU.
    That's not all. if they have a big enough botnet it'll knock your internet right off.

I don't see how someone can get your IP information through PSU though. so i doubt it.

Quote Originally Posted by TruInferno View Post
    That's not all. if they have a big enough botnet it'll knock your internet right off.

I don't see how someone can get your IP information through PSU though. so i doubt it.
    They can get your ip through Cain and Abel
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cain_and_Abel_(software)

I am completely clueless when it comes to stuff like this so I do not know what to tell my friend.

Quote Originally Posted by MillyB View Post
    They can get your ip through Cain and Abel
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cain_and_Abel_(software)

I am completely clueless when it comes to stuff like this so I do not know what to tell my friend.
    Im sure you'd have to go through the PSU servers and they should have precautions, the only way i can think of is if they join a party with the person (xbox live party) and get it that way. And that's a lot of annoying work. I Also don't see the point... people usually have objectives....

Quote Originally Posted by TruInferno View Post
    Im sure you'd have to go through the PSU servers and they should have precautions, the only way i can think of is if they join a party with the person (xbox live party) and get it that way. And that's a lot of annoying work. I Also don't see the point... people usually have objectives....
    Yes, and 90% of the time, their objective is simply to ruin other people's fun. I wish that wasn't true, but it is most times. I don't understand those types of people.

Internet Vandals... I can't figure out their motivations either... If you're smart enough to pull something like that off why the fuck don't you go out and do something productive with your skills?
    NiceOnes

There was a rampant kid who was banned running around (I'm assuming on a new account) doing this to players, a script kiddie, if you will. Best way to prevent this is to A.) have a firewall and B.) do not enter party chat with people you don't know over XBL. Game chat should be fine.