Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Manual vs Automatic

I'm lookin' for a car, and I'm not really sure if I should get a manual or an automatic. Most of what's in my price range seems to be manual, and I feel like hunting for an automatic would sort of handcuff me in terms of trying to haggle down the price. On the other hand, I can't drive stick so I'd have to learn in whatever I buy, which might cost me a clutch.

Most of my family (all the women basically >_>) says to get an automatic, but I've been kind of leaning towards stick just because I think it'd be a good skill to learn, and no one in my house would hassle me to borrow my car.

Opinions?
    Success is not the result of spontaneous combustion. You must set yourself on fire.

Automatics are awesome. My Dad use to have a 2000 or 2001 Honda Civic SI Hatchback. God I wish he still had that car. It was awesome to drive. Now I drive a 2001 Honda Civic EX. God it sucks =/
    Gamertag: MR CauSe iM GoD ID: 30054283

Go stick. Don't have to worry about any random rube driving your shit, don't have to worry about making excsues if you don't wanna let somebody borrow your car cause most likely they can't drive it. It's fun as hell, you look cooler, +5 to ego & manhood boost. Plus like you said more in your price range. It's really not that hard driving stick.

"Brotherhood asked for no friendship, only loyalty. They stood back to back as the galaxy burned - always brothers, never friends; traitors together unto the last."

If you're looking for performance, get a stick. If for any other reason, get an automatic.

Feed men, and then ask of them virtue!

New or used? How long until you buy?

If you enjoy driving, the I'd say go with the manual(as do most other driving lovers I've seen) - more involvement, more feel from the car, you tell it when to do everything. Depending on how you drive, manual can save on fuel in most cases (US EPA does rate a few newer autos better than manuals on MPG).

If you find yourself sitting in a "parking lot on the highway" often, or don't like driving, and the fuel economy savings would be minimal, auto is fine.

With 80%+ of vehicles in the US, and one new report saying under 7% of new cars sold have manual transmissions, in the US if you go used, odds are you'll be swamped with automatics. I'm unsure of Canada's figures.

If you have any, find a friend with a manual transmission car in good condition and have them teach you, let you spend a bit of time. Maybe offer to pay them a bit of money or cover dinner/gas/whatever. Where I am, the hard part was finding a car in "teachable" condition.
    Last edited by Ketchup345; Nov 23, 2010 at 05:45 PM.

a comfortable place between dreams and reality

Learning stick is not nearly as useful as it once was. Back in the day, people drove stick because automatic transmissions were inefficient and had poor gas mileage compared to their manual counterparts. However, automatics have come a long way. If you want to get technical, manuals are still more efficient, but the margin is negligible. If you are persnickety about controlling every aspect of your car, a manual might be worth it, but there's no need otherwise. Manuals are basically just for people who get satisfaction from shifting.

My car has Steptronic which is basically a combination of the two. I rarely use the manual mode. Only when I really need to control which gear I'm in, like if I'm passing someone or there is a fast merge.

On Sylverant.

Manuals are more efficient in some cases, more fun for driving enthusiasts, and are often able to handle more abuse without failure.

Go with a manual.

Looking to hopefully have something by the beginning of January or so. Trying to bus to my university is a huge pain in the ass because I'm in a new development, so I basically have to walk half an hour just to get to a bus stop (and that bus only makes two passes at 6:50 and 7:30AM and doesn't come back around till 3:40 in the afternoon... I start at 10 on Wednesday and Thursday so it's a huge waste of time). It's like an hour of bussing for a 20 minute drive.

Buying used since I probably can't afford collision on whatever I buy anyway (20 in a month and male, woo), been looking at cheap stuff like 2000-ish Corollas (they're built at a plant half an hour from me so they're everywhere) and Civics, and most of what I've come across are manual. Was also checking out mid '90s Civic SI coupes and Integras to fix up myself for kicks and I think I've only come across a couple automatics out of probably fifty or sixty ads, and they want way too much for them.

Most of my friends don't have cars and the ones that do have automatics so if I buy a stick my dad'll teach me how to drive it, but I don't think I know anyone who actually has a manual.
    Last edited by McLaughlin; Nov 23, 2010 at 06:01 PM.
    Success is not the result of spontaneous combustion. You must set yourself on fire.

Possibly on-topic, possibly off-topic question: have you ever been the primary driver of a car before? Or how much time have you spent driving since you got your license? On topic: how much do you enjoy driving?

Make sure to check insurance rates. The Integra/Civic SI may raise the rates over a normal Civic, due to being a 2 door (I rarely see 4 door SIs), and probably more power compared to the normal models.

Yeah I've looked at insurance rates on a few different things but they only seem to vary by a few hundred bucks a year. I have one more place to call tomorrow for rough estimates but it doesn't look like I'll be catching much of a break regardless of what I wind up with.

I've never been the primary driver on a policy before; I've been on my mom's policy as an occasional driver since I got my G2. I've had my G for two years, G2 for eight months before that. I drive myself around frequently, but rarely can I borrow my mom's Rav4 for the commute to school, which is why I'm looking. As far as driving goes, I like being able to get around on my own. Pretty comfortable behind the wheel.

I actually came across a 4 door Integra earlier today for $1,500, but the rear left quarter panel is starting to show rust (I think rust on the rear is pretty typical for Hondas anyway?) and I have no idea what kind of shape the engine and transmission are in. I know the dealer though and most of what they sell has seen better days, so I dunno if I even want to check that one out or not. I know I'll end up paying more if I get an SI or Integra GSR/RS/LS/whatever other dozen makes there are just because most of them are coupes.