Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Blue was broken to hell and back for the first several years from what I've heard.
    Coming Soon!

Could be, but I've been manhandled by straight red and zerg-rush green/black too. Goddam lawnmower elves.
    Tax the fucking churches.

Quote Originally Posted by Palle View Post
    Could be, but I've been manhandled by straight red and zerg-rush green/black too. Goddam lawnmower elves.
    I'm talking about the early years, before they seriously stuck to dividing abilities between colors. Blue could, quite literally, do everything. I mean, look at Prodigal sorcerer. Repeatable. Cheap. Efficient. DIRECT DAMAGE. (Which, currently, is almost exclusively a red ability, with green getting stuff like Arena and flyer-shooting and black life loss)
    Coming Soon!

One of my friends recently got back into Magic. I still have some cards, but most of them reside with another friend of mine. Basically, we all put our cards into one large collection, and everyone just looked through them and made decks as they needed.

I also still have most of my old Pokemon cards (recently gave a bunch to ANOTHER friend who started collecting the old ones again out of nostalgia) and my 10+ year collection of Yu-gi-oh! cards, to which I should have pictures of in one of the older FKL threads, I think. It's just that no one I know really plays much anymore these days, or else they've moved away.

Also, a Magic: The Gathering game recently got on PSN, though I think Xbox Live had it a lot earlier. I really need to fix my PS3 soon so I can get it...

And yeah, blue cards were broken way back in the day. I remember playing a game against this one guy at a convention who had a really old blue deck; he was drawing extra turn cards out the ass and was eventually able to lock me down to where I couldn't do anything. I still play blue/white most of the time, though.

And LOL and "Lawnmower Elves." Reminds me of how my friends and I would make up goofy names for Yugioh cards, like "Pot of Weed" (Pot of Greed) or "Busted Bladder" (Buster Blader).

My FFXIV:ARR Lodestone Page
    3DS Friend Code: 0318-8097-4335
    Currently playing: Final Fantasy XIV: A Realm Reborn, Hearthstone

Quote Originally Posted by Randomness View Post
    I'm talking about the early years, before they seriously stuck to dividing abilities between colors.
    This has actually got me curious enough to want to read through those cards again, since I haven't really laid eyes on them since 1996. I wonder what I'd think of the balance today as opposed to back then.

Next time I head back East and dig through my parents' attic...
    Tax the fucking churches.

I need to hunt down some 7th Edition Llanowar Elves, the art didn't suck as much as the current art(Or the old even uglier art for them).

I still only have one deck. Unsurprisingly, it's elves.

Here, have a list:

19x Forest
    1x Turntimber Grove
    1x Nissa Revane
    3x Nissa's Chosen
    2x Imperious Perfect
    1x Immaculate Magistrate
    4x Priest of Titania
    1x Fauna Shaman
    1x Lys Alana Huntmaster
    1x Heedless One
    1x Drove of Elves
    1x Jagged-Scar Archers
    4x Llanowar Elves
    1x Fyndhorn Elves
    2x Elvish Hunter
    3x Elvish Visionary
    1x Quirion Ranger
    1x Elvish Skysweeper
    1x Wirewood Herald
    1x Taunting Elf
    1x Viridian Shaman
    1x Wellwisher
    1x Elvish Lookout
    1x Elvish Promenade
    1x Naturalize
    1x Elvish Guidance
    1x Nature's Spiral
    1x Asceticism
    1x Coat of Arms
    1x Whispersilk Cloak

Yes, I should be running 4 or at least 2 or 3 of some of those cards and losing some of the more random shit, and it'd probably be a good idea to have more than one Nissa in there and some better way to protect her(Doubling Season so she'd start with 4 loyalty counters to get her out of range of shit like Lightning Bolt would be good, not to mention lulz with my elf tokengen, but fuck $20 cards), but it took me too damned long to track one of the bitch down, screw two or four. Also screw ebay, I'd rather support my FLGS.

I've used it as it currently is(It used to be far worse) for casual a few times and it's done fairly well. Done a decent job of winning, though I haven't played anyone running mass removal with it yet, which will do a great job of eating it alive. Which is fine, since I have fun simply sitting there creating ridiculous amounts of mana, gaining ridiculous amounts of life if I get the right cards out, and throwing ridiculous amounts of elves out, even if I lose. :P

I'm thinking mono white or maybe white/red for my next deck. Possibly white/blue since I *wanted* to do a blue deck but don't have enough good blue cards. I don't like black much. I can do something vaguely useful with White, I think. Work it out, figure out what cards would be best, throw them together. I play with my D&D group who is frequently hardcore casual and has a few decks thrown together almost entirely from the nickel box. (Also I'm sad, I went through the entire Forest section of the basic land box and they only had two Ravnica forests. I love Ravnica forests. Though Zendikar is spiffy too.)

PSUJP: Nai Calus, M. B. 176 FI 20 | Elly, F. N. 42 FT 5 Requiescat in pace.

about balance, the old cards were very very unbalanced, there is a reason for "standard" being only 2 blocks, the cards of today are probably better on average, but there are less totally OP cards. and things that are just worthless.

The Two-Tailed Fox boy Fox2Tails's Avatar

I started playing [read: when I fully knew how to play lol] during Zendikar [I'm such a newbie compared to most ] and I have 5 decks. White Angels[Legacy], White Knights [Type 2], White/Blue Allies [Type 2], Blue/White/Black Master Transmuter abuse [Legacy] and Black/Blue Infect [Type 2]

Credit to MissMalice

Anybody here play the online game?

Yes, there is a power creep with creatures and more recently with burn, which was intentional. As well as a creep in the opposite direction for artifact mana generation and counterspells, which where too cheaply costed for aggro to have a fair chance. Ice age and earlier a combination of good counters, Zuran Orb, and what ever way you want to run you donates gave the field an absolutely uneven playing ground. With years of Wizards doing power creeps on cards to slowly mold a balance field we have this wonderful triangle of Control, Aggro, Combo that plays like a rock, paper, scissors game. We haven't printed anything nearly as powerful as Mishra's Factory in years and years.

So while creatures creeped up it's only to put them on par with non-creature spells. I've been playing the game for....10ish years, my collection is easily 50k strong, and I play in every PTQ and GP that comes my way.