Default JP Free Items & Save conversion

Okay, this might be completely stupid but bear with me.

As we can read the JP download data using the Western games, this should work in theory.

What if someone were to convert a JP savefile to EU/US while in possession of, say, a Winning Apple/Ringo? The data isn't in either version of the game, but the DLC can be read by any region. The only reason we don't have the free DLC items in the Western versions is because there's no import function on the menu.

So what I propose is, if someone has the data for the free items backed up to both the JP and Western savedata, and converts their save to the other region, would it be usable in the local versions?

I know everyone's caught up with the Infinity demo but the talk about save conversion (which Aida is very kindly doing for people on the official forums) had me thinking, and this could just be another awesome freebie or two for everyone.

JP DLC items are dummied out in the western releases. Your items would transform into C rank trash.

Playing PSP2i on PSP 6.39PRO-B6 (Online)

PSOW save games converted: 44. Conversion Service Ended.

That's why I specified having the JP DLC installed, just like you need in the JP version.

Anything from the PSN, free or not, has to be downloaded and imported. If you don't have the data, even in the JP version, you'd get a dummy saber. Thing about the download is that it has the item model and skin and everything in there.

I know a lot of items like the Moba Yubi twin handgun were dummied out, things that were in the JP main game at release (and, like the Bruce trade clothes that we have after completing hard mode, could be obtained through AR codes)

I'd give this a go myself if I had a JP PSN account, or if anyone has the download data for all the free items.

Doesn't work, the JP DLC is actually signed to your JP account, it won't load with another account.
    This is noticeable if you change your PSP to another non JP account and try to load PSP2, the game will load, but the DLC items won't.

It doesn't work. I tried it with the Clad 6 cannon and rod and a few outfits, when you load the save you get a corrupted item and it corrupts that item slot in your storage/inventory, placing an item on top of that data lead to weirdness.

The Rosen Ritter outfit after converting a jp save to EU PSP2.
    It also won't work if you use the US/EU game on the Jp PSN account, this is due to the DLC having a different game ID for the Japanese version of the game, and there's no way to change that.

So the download data itself is protected? Damn shame. Assume you tried the simple things like renaming the download folder from NPJH5004300DL to ULUSwhatever.

At least we get to play with the free items in PSP2i.
    Last edited by TheAstarion; Jan 10, 2011 at 06:06 PM.

Yeah I copied the folder the items are downloaded to and renamed it to match the EU ID and it didn't work, the actual files themselves have the original game ID in them and I think have checksums to prevent tampering and editing.

so if u converted your USA save into a JPN save, and then download the free items, will the items go into infinity if import the data? or can u download the free items and just use them in the infinity demo?

As long as it's the Japanese version it'll work, it seems. If you have them on you when you import to Infinity then they'll still be on you; Infinity has all the free DLC loaded in already. The demo has all the v1 items built into it as well as some (but not all) of the new ones.

You can directly import the DLC into the demo as well, it's the third option in the import menu. Just a note that if you have the free DLC in storage from the original game, take it out of storage will add it to the item collection.