Default WiiWare recommendation?

My little brothers (twins, age 13) get about 6 dollars in allowance a piece a week. As of late they like to blow this at Gamestop, but unless they are buying used Gameboy Advanced games, they usually don't have a whole lot saved up before spending it and aren't really capable of buying a 40 dollar game (usually $15 at best, $30 if they decide to combine their allowance.) Then it dawned on me: duh, we have a Wii, maybe WiiWare has something. The games don't have to be hard, hell, they can be real easy and total simple spamfests of the A button for all they care. They have a pretty heavy form of autism, so that kind of stuff is totally fine by them. I pretty much never touch the Wii except for Brawl and Monster Hunter, so anyone have any recommendations with the games on WiiWare?

If you have 1200 Wii Points to spare, Cave Story's a fantastic game. You can get a kick out of it playing it (it's a great game altogether), and they can get a kick out of shooting stuff - as for that, however, you may have to help them make some progress first, but there's plenty of blasting away to be done afterwards. As for other games... If you want a game that's pretty much straight-up blowing things away, there's also Zombie Panic in Wonderland for 1000 Wii Points; I've heard it's pretty actiony. I hope that helps. >w<;

There's also Retro City Rampage, though that's gonna be a while; so that's something to look forward to. The Bit.Trip games are amazing. I also hear good things about Onslaught, "And yet it moves" and World of Goo. But hey, if anything, you can always download Super Smash Brothers on the Virtual Console.
    Last edited by Bomber The Cosmonaut; Jan 23, 2011 at 02:55 PM. Reason: Abbreviations? ...Maybe not.

I personally can't wait for Retro City Rampage. x3

Thanks for the recs, I'll check 'em out.

Cave Story is a must. There are also games from a crap-ton of older consoles, if there are any older games you enjoyed.

Hunters Guild Group
    Alex - BrHu | Satsuki - RaGu | Keiko - SuTe

I haven't really found much on WiiWare worth buying, except some VC titles which I already play on emulation. (Though I still bought all the classic PS games, Alex Kidd in Enchanted Castle, Gunstar Heroes, and a few others)

I did get Hudson's MyPlanetarium, which my young niece seems to be really into, but I think she's just enjoying a "game" she can't lose. When I tried to take her out to show her the real Orion constellation, or the craters of the moon, she just went right back inside and started aimlessly meandering around the virtual sky with much more excitement.

As a program itself, it's not very versatile. Most of the dwarf-planets are missing (though it includes Pluto), and it's star catalog is woefully inadequate. It did provide some of the basic info, lore, and history associated with the stars it does show... but it's very brief and sometimes inaccurate. Examining planets only shows a small 2D texture of one side of the planet (rather than 3D scalable view) and doesn't have much info on their satellites. It does allow you to set your own Lat./Long. to get your own horizon though, and it's selection of star gazing music is nice... though all the songs are poor quality Midi tunes.

Perhaps I'm just spoiled rotten by Celestia, but for younger audiences, My Planetarium would provide a good educational introduction to astronomy... though they would have to be open to the experience first. It's certainly never sparked an interest in astronomy in someone from what I've seen.

I tried the demos for Cave Story and Fluidity, and they both seem fairly decent titles. Been wanting to try NyxQuest for awhile, but Nintendo hasn't really inspired my confidence in their game QA this generation, and without a demo to try first I'm hesitant to spend too much money on anything in the WiiWare catalog.

Feed men, and then ask of them virtue!

Both LostWinds games are great, though a little on the short side.

They've also (lazily) ported the first three Ace Attorney games over to WiiWare, but from the sound of it, you're looking for more action games than text dumps.

I'd definitely second the Cave Story and Bit.Trip recommendations.

Also, some of the games mentioned have demos, forgot to mention that. ;x

Get Fantasy Zone.