Page 1 of 6 1234 ... LastLast

Default I don't get how the heads at Sega think.

You'd think with all the promotions, events, collaborations and all else they do for their games over in the land of the rising sun, that they'd at least be able to spot their other branches the resources to run an advert or two. Maybe they don't realize that people don't usually buy games they've never heard of, and that the Sega logo doesn't carry the weight it used to.

That's because Sega doesn't care about their non-JP fanbase, and never will. It's a sin to say, and horrible to think about, but it's the honest truth.

Only lives to get radical W0LB0T's Avatar

Sega has a fan base outside of Japan?

Current Projects:None
    Old Projects:[ [Dhylaw 1-10 11-13] [Dhylaw Season 2]

Quote Originally Posted by W0LB0T View Post
    Obviously, or most of us wouldn't be here. What kind of stupid question is that?

Quote Originally Posted by BIG OLAF View Post
    Obviously, or most of us wouldn't be here. What kind of stupid question is that?
    It was sarcasm. His point is that he fanbase is ridiculously small, which is true. And rightfully so, considering when I say Sega, the only thing people remember is Sonic. Sega's marketing is terrible for almost everything else.
    Quote Originally Posted by loukaras View Post
    PSO-World is a game?

Actually. Sega used to have more stuff known in the States for. But they kind of stopped just about everything except for Sonic. The large part of the fanbase was pretty much built on Sega advertising. So what they actually did, worked. Somehow, that never truly got across to the East side of the company.

Quote Originally Posted by SStrikerR View Post
    It was sarcasm. His point is that he fanbase is ridiculously small, which is true. And rightfully so, considering when I say Sega, the only thing people remember is Sonic. Sega's marketing is terrible for almost everything else.
    Well, it's their own fault. They refuse to advertise anything besides Sonic in the West, and then expect their games to sell and/or be popular. Doesn't work that way. Like I said in another thread: when's the last time you saw a Phantasy Star advertisement on TV? In a magazine? On a gaming/electronics website? Any website?

I guarantee that a lot more people would be interested in Phantasy Star if they actually knew what it was. The rest is up to Sega.

I don't get how the heads at Sega think.
    The heads at Sega think? What?

Quote Originally Posted by W0LB0T View Post
    Traditionally, isn't the NA and EU territories the consumerbases where Sega has always preformed the strongest? Wasn't he Master System's largest market in Europe? Didn't Sega win the 16-bit gen in NA? Wasn't SoA/SoE the "last best hope of the Dreamcast", and the territories it did the best in after SoJ botched the handling of the Dreamcast in Japan?

Yeah, for Sega to turn it's back on the western markets seems like a brilliant idea!

Is Sega just overcompensating for the skeletons in their closet... you know, that dirty little secret that once upon a time they were founded as an American company by a bunch of guys with very non-Japanese sounding names like Marty Bromely, Irving Bromberg, and James Humpert?

Feed men, and then ask of them virtue!

No, he's right. The fanbase is so small now because the advertising just isn't there.

When you get people shopping around they know who Mario is as soon as you hear about him. Today I often hear "Who is Sonic? What is he about?"

Times have changed.

The fanbase of the old isn't same as the fanbase of today.

And I bet that the group of people running SEGA today aren't quite the same group of people when SEGA had strong backing outside of Nippon.

And who knows? Maybe in the future SEGA might give a d*mn about us again.
    To be or not to be.