Page 108 of 466 FirstFirst ... 85898105106107108109110111118158208 ... LastLast
Results 1,071 to 1,080 of 4655

Quote Originally Posted by joefro View Post
    Assassin's Creed: Revelations. I must say, I am thoroughly enjoying it. I love the setting.
    If you plan on doing a 100% synch on any or all sequences, I'd suggest creating a smoke screen bomb with the impact casing. It's useful when there are a large number of guards and you have to remain hidden to move on.
    Interested in playing PSP2i without starting over? Click here to get started or look here for people converting saves.

Oh I know VII isn't the best, but I just can't see a real reason to just stop playing mid way. As for the snowboarding part, how else would they go down that mountain? Just barrel roll down until they're a big snowball then pilot that? lol

On topic: Finally they give me Dragoon armor in FF III so I can actually use the job. Pretty cool, Jump should be useful in boss fights. This is just until I get the fourth tier jobs, then he's gonna be a Black Belt anyway.
    ID: Haseyo FO
    Character: Roll Caskett | Ship: 02
    Character: Hsien-Ko | Ship: 02

Not playing anything at the moment due to theft of my PSP.

(don't know when I'll get another such system either. )

a comfortable place between dreams and reality

Quote Originally Posted by Rashiid View Post
    You should enjoy VII. Only people that dislike it are those that simply hate the game for being popular, i.e hipsters..
    That's vastly overstating it. There certainly are people who love to decry anything that's popular (this is just as applicable to movies, music, etc.) but the more common negative ramblings about FFVII are that it's overrated. It's certainly a valid argument in my eyes. FFVII is a great game, but hardly deserving of the worship it receives. I'd be hard pressed at all to find a game worthy of the praise that has been heaped upon FFVII over the years.

warped://perfection Mantiskilla's Avatar

Personally I thought FFVII was great but overrated a little I agree. I played RPGs (as probably most people on this site) long before it came out and there were certainly better ones out there mostly on PC though. It's hard not to see the game getting the pub it did though b/c One...It got non RPGs fans into RPGs (especially in the console market), and Two...It was right during the time were video games were becoming a bit more mainstream especially with the sudden boom of gaming websites. Of course when you have games like this "fanboys/girls" are made which to me is even a bigger reason why people don't like the game. It's really no different on why people don't like say Tim Tebow right now (Of course I'm a Broncos fan so its all good to me) vs people who do b/c its getting stuffed down peoples throats everyday, or in FFVII case for the last decade plus.

Quote Originally Posted by amtalx View Post
    That's vastly overstating it. There certainly are people who love to decry anything that's popular (this is just as applicable to movies, music, etc.) but the more common negative ramblings about FFVII are that it's overrated. It's certainly a valid argument in my eyes. FFVII is a great game, but hardly deserving of the worship it receives. I'd be hard pressed at all to find a game worthy of the praise that has been heaped upon FFVII over the years.
    I agree that it doesn't hold up so well now, but back when I first played it only a year after it came out, it was hands down the most amazingly fun, immersive video game experience I'd had up to that point -- second only to Super Mario 64. FFVIII and IX, despite having better graphics and generally being more polished, did not come close. For me, VII hit a note with its combination of story and gameplay that the series just did not hit again until X, and hasn't even come close to hitting after that. I think its praise is well-deserved, although I don't think it's the best entry in the series (I would reserve that for X since I am the biggest FFX fanboy on this Earth, and I would also argue that VI, which I only just recently played, both is better and holds up better graphics-wise than VII).

Heh, well for now it's FFIX that I'm playing... I'll get to FFVII and FFVIII when I can. I just remember liking FFIX and remembered that I never truly beat it, so I went back to play it. I'll definitely check out FFVII and FFVIII and form my own opinion of the games in regard to their characters, the story (or stories, depending on how these games were handled), the gameplay, and the overall layout of the games. I only really played a bit of each, so I did not get enough into either one to form a true opinion of either.

I hold each side's argument with a grain of salt. A game is a game and as long as at least a portion of one fits my needs I am usually content. I may like or dislike a good portion of a certain game solely because I am not a fan of the overall aesthetic that they chose. It depends on a combination of elements and I'm sure that both FFVII and FFVIII will meet some of my relatively low standards for appeal.

Yeah, don't let any of us sway you from this point: the Final Fantasy games for the original Playstation are all pretty good, and definitely worth playing.

Just as soon as I start getting into AC: R, SWTOR comes out. Loving both, but spending more time with Revelations. After I beat that I'll get into SWTOR more.
    Nothing is sacred. Not that it ever was.

a comfortable place between dreams and reality

Quote Originally Posted by Mantiskilla View Post
    I played RPGs (as probably most people on this site) long before it came out and there were certainly better ones out there mostly on PC though.
    I have to admit that my penchant for PC gaming affected my opinion of the Playstation era FF games. It was right during the meaty part of some of the best PC-bases RPGs ever made: Fallout 1/2, Baldur's Gate, Icewind Dale, etc.

Planescape: Torment came out around that time as well. In my opinion, it's the best RPG to date, and even mops the floor with current games. I believe it's still has one of the highest counts for written dialogue in a game, and the quest system has enough branches to make Mass Effect look pedestrian.