Page 4 of 18 FirstFirst 123456714 ... LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by AlexCraig View Post
    It has already been announced it will be for PC.
    Was more a rhetorical statement. I guess I worded it weird.

If an MMO is coming out, it should be released for PC if anything. If it's released for another platform, that would personally rub me the wrong way.
    megaoka | Kaz | Ship 2

Pursuant of the Red Box Checkmate's Avatar

If only the original Xbox never flourished or existed.... we'd have a Next Gen Dreamcast console; SEGA would be filtering all their projects thru it and would establish a mental link to project euphoric beams of PSO2 goodness directly into your brains as it's answer to the Wii-mote and PS3's Move.

And on the 8th Day, Chuck Norris looked down on the Earth and saw that it was good.
    Hi, I'm Checkmate and I approve this message.

Paid for by stealing your bike, bootlegging CDs and in-theatre movies out the trunk of your teenage daughter's car.

PSO 2 Char: Newtype Ship/Block: 10/20
    FO Lv40; HU Lv5; RA Lv5

The James Franco of PSO2 NoiseHERO's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Checkmate View Post
    If only the original Xbox never flourished or existed.... we'd have a Next Gen Dreamcast console; SEGA would be filtering all their projects thru it and would establish a mental link to project euphoric beams of PSO2 goodness directly into your brains as it's answer to the Wii-mote and PS3's Move.

And on the 8th Day, Chuck Norris looked down on the Earth and saw that it was good.
    *Nods In Robotic Silence*

AYY. All you nillas days is numbered.

Even in an alternate universe where SEGA still made consoles, it would still make more sense for the game to be on the PC.

Quote Originally Posted by Ffuzzy-Logik View Post
    Even in an alternate universe where SEGA still made consoles, it would still make more sense for the game to be on the PC.
    Make sense? Yeah I guess...but then a lot of sega things in general would probably still be different.

The Sonic series would be as desperate, We'd probably still have jet set radio... PSU couldof been more flexible... No mario bashing sonics face in with minimal effort in smash bros... PSO fans couldof had their proper ports(maybe.) Sega would probably suck 30% less. PSO2 probably would be on console anyway...because sega is sega... I'd have another system other than Wii. Dreamcast would've lived long enough to have more than just 12 games worth playing.

Quote Originally Posted by Checkmate View Post

I think you have your information wrong. You should be wishing the PS2 never flourished or existed, because then we'd actually have a current-gen Sega console, because Sony would have never pushed Sega out of the market and caused the Dreamcast to fail as hard as it did (and Sega wouldn't have had to drop out of the console market, as a result).

Fun fact: Sega's chairman, at the time, was actually pushing for mass-partnership between Sega and Microsoft (to the point where Microsoft was considering buying Sega entirely) during the Dreamcast's demise, where Sega actually wanted the Xbox to be fully-compatible with playing Dreamcast games, even without Sega being owned by Microsoft.

It's not actually inaccurate to say that the Xbox series of consoles are the spiritual successors to Sega's legacy - especially since Sega actually wanted them to be direct successors.

ProTip: To damage your credibility, simply call any of the Phantasy Star games "massively-multiplayer."

Quote Originally Posted by Kent View Post
    I think you have your information wrong. You should be wishing the PS2 never flourished or existed, because then we'd actually have a current-gen Sega console, because Sony would have never pushed Sega out of the market and caused the Dreamcast to fail as hard as it did (and Sega wouldn't have had to drop out of the console market, as a result).

Fun fact: Sega's chairman, at the time, was actually pushing for mass-partnership between Sega and Microsoft (to the point where Microsoft was considering buying Sega entirely) during the Dreamcast's demise, where Sega actually wanted the Xbox to be fully-compatible with playing Dreamcast games, even without Sega being owned by Microsoft.

It's not actually inaccurate to say that the Xbox series of consoles are the spiritual successors to Sega's legacy - especially since Sega actually wanted them to be direct successors.
    It always did feel like xbox had a little sega in it's blood...yanno... GOOD sega... (plus it had shenmue + Jet set Radio.)

But yeah "NO YOU'RE WRONG" was always thrown in my face of the idea.

Quote Originally Posted by Michaeru View Post
    But yeah "NO YOU'RE WRONG" was always thrown in my face of the idea.
    Then you should perhaps think of re-examining the idea. Kent is absolutely right in his refutation, and I also feel that the Xbox line of consoles are the spiritual successors to Sega's endeavors, though with considerably more business acumen. That's why I would have loved to see Microsoft buy out Sega when the subject was floated, because I think they would have nurtured the talent and innovation that Sega was known for, while providing the good business sense and financing that Sega proper had never been able to reliably muster. Rather, most people would have preferred a Nintendo/Sega pairing, for nothing more than nostalgia over the old-days of consoles and a false sense of "quality assurance" that Nintendo represented - but has since evaporated with the advent of the Wii and it's horrid library of casual crapware.

For the first few years of the Xbox's life, it was a bit of an industry joke, and it was the Halo franchise alone which arguably carried Microsoft into round two and established for them a beachhead in the market to be exploited with the 360. I don't think the original Xbox had much of an influence on Sega's decision to leave the market. While there was a bit of hype and some impressive hardware tech demos, the original Xbox hadn't even launched until after Sega had made the announcement to discontinue the Dreamcast. Meanwhile Microsoft was plagued by a poor reputation for software (coming off of Windows ME and the compatibility issues between service packs for 2000) and abhorrent business tactics (namely, anti-trust suits for integrating IE into the OS and killing the market for other browsers such as Netscape). Many people assumed Bill Gates wanted to do to the videogame market what Microsoft had done to the PC market.

This is, in part, why their talking heads repeated stated that projections for the Xbox line of consoles were never intended to be a success in the first generation, but only to establish the brand going into a future next-gen.
    Last edited by Sinue_v2; Feb 23, 2011 at 03:40 PM.

Feed men, and then ask of them virtue!

I also would support that as well. I also lived through that phase and monitored the same activity. It's almost no small surprise considering the Dreamcast even had use of the Windows Library for use in helping to port certain games to it.

Both companies, saw fit on the importance of online gaming on consoles. The other two were doing everything to resist it. That's why they only begrudgingly follow suit only after it becomes something they just can't ignore.

Of course, people will get angry at the idea of Microsoft entering the market and bringing some corporate-level business model to console gaming. The bigger misconception is that Sony created that in console gaming, first. At least in the 32-bit world. Nintendo was the first to do it, but got their hands slapped and they played ball afterwards. This allowed Sega to really gain major ground and become popular in the Genesis days.

But back to the 32-bit world. It was that resurgence of corporate approach to console gaming that helped push down the two top contenders when the Playstation arrived. A new guy came in throwing money around, got tons of exclusives, and the world wasn't watching them because Sega and Nintendo have been playing fair for years. Who was watching? Also the same tactics which allowed them to push SEGA off the console map starting with the Saturn. Ever notice how it's the SEGA Saturn/Dreamcast stuff that got pushed out the game-retailers door faster than any previous console (post lifetime), which sold their games in bargain bins long after the later Sega stuff left the shelves? I remember my friends asking me what I think of Playstation, back when it was to come out, and how will it deal with Nintendo and Sega. Knowing what I knew of what happened to the personal computer business, I simply said, "Sony's got money. Lots of money."

If the PC business can be bought with big money, I knew the console business could too.

The PS2 put a hurt on people buying into Dreamcast before the console even launched. Only with a movie of a non-playable Metal Gear scene for something that wouldn't even grace the PS2 until 2 years after its launch? Hurt in another way by EA because a first party Football game is a "no no" to them, and they didn't want competition from first parties for their Football franchise. The truth finally comes out that they don't want ANY competition for their football titles. Still, it was Sony's general "counter-advertising" that did it. Pure vaporware and word tactics fueled by the overall success of PS1. Microsoft wasn't even in a mention outside their Windows libraries usable in the Dreamcast. So it's no surprise why Sony's department of sales thought they would immediately come out on top of this console generation based on their vapor hype alone. It worked before.

Microsoft didn't bring corporate tactics to consoles. They simply gave Sony some actual capitalistic competition. Some competition they couldn't embezzle against, or buy out their ability to compete. A friend of mine, on this site, even mentioned he was looking at Xbox when it was announced. It was that very reason I took him seriously.
    Last edited by Akaimizu; Feb 23, 2011 at 04:32 PM.

If the UI is done right and it caters towards controller users, then the game can be ported to consoles relatively easily and efficiently so that everyone can play on the same level. As for the online portion... I would say PS3 should be the first choice. I love my 360 and buy games for it almost 10x as much as my PS3, but the PS3 has free online gaming, and Sega won't have to go through all those hoops like they did with PSU on 360 to get their game online. Also, they could allow cross-platform servers, since apparently Microsoft doesn't want that at all.