Page 2 of 39 FirstFirst 1234512 ... LastLast

Skyrim, Diablo III, and PSO2 will be the only 3 games I will play for the next 5 years, probably.

Quote Originally Posted by Ishia View Post
    Skyrim, Diablo III, and PSO2 will be the only 3 games I will play for the next 5 years, probably.
    I can see that happening for me, too. I mean, I played Diablo II for about 5 years, I played Oblivion for about 4 years (still play it sometimes), and I've been playing PSU for 4 years.

So, I would definitely understand if those three games take up just as much of my life, if not obscenely more.

Quote Originally Posted by Zyrusticae View Post
    crap animations (seriously, why is there no diagonal strafe animation?)
    Probably my biggest pet peeve about Oblivion. There's no animation for turning your character while stationary, either. It was just like "...seriously? Fucking TLOZ Ocarina of Time managed to have a full suite of strafing animations in 1998 on the N64." It may have been acceptable if the game didn't offer a 3rd person mode, because you can't really tell your own character's animations are terrible from 1st person (although you would if you watched the NPCs and figured out that they're all built on the exact same template as you are). There are lots of 1st person games that actually look really bad in 3rd person because they don't need to look good, like Half-Life 2 or Mirror's Edge. But not only did it offer a 3rd person mode, it offered one with the worst possible camera angle and no crosshairs.

Apparently though, all that stuff is fixed in Skyrim. Bethesda said it was when it was first announced, and what I'm seeing in this trailer confirms it to some extent.

@Tifa: The animations really are a higher priority fix than the graphics, and Bethesda is delivering there in spades. You should look up the Havok Behavior system if you don't already know about it, it's the system they're currently using in their new engine, which is totally new and built from the ground up, for those who are saying otherwise in this forum. Bethesda said it was new in their very first tweet about the game.

That said, the graphics are also much better, and not just texture wise. They've been improved in ways that a community mod, even a very high quality one, couldn't really handle logistically. For example, weather effects that actually cause snow to build up on the ground, or branches on trees that are realistically tossed about by real-time in game wind. Also, there are marked improvements to how many characters and physics objects can be processed onscreen.

Mix all of that in with the new "radiant story" mechanic of story governance, all the improvements to the AI and the dialogue system (the camera doesn't zoom in on NPCs' faces when you speak to them, and if they're engaged in some other chore like splitting logs, which will often be the case, they won't even look at you accept for the occasional glance, maintaining a realistic flow of maintaining and breaking eye-contact. Also, you can look around while you're talking to someone), and I have to disagree with your slighting, Tifa, because Skyrim is looking to be a massive improvement over Oblivion. Also, we console players don't have access to all those mods, or even the unofficial patch that fixes quests like The Sunken One, so this is huge for us, especially.

Quote Originally Posted by BIG OLAF View Post
    I can see that happening for me, too. I mean, I played Diablo II for about 5 years, I played Oblivion for about 4 years (still play it sometimes), and I've been playing PSU for 4 years.

So, I would definitely understand if those three games take up just as much of my life, if not obscenely more.
    Have you played "Nehrim : At Fate's Edge"? It's a massive Oblivion conversion mod (4 years in dev) that I've been playing, and I am absolutely impressed. Better than vanilla Oblivion IMO.

Quote Originally Posted by DiMiTri View Post
    Have you played "Nehrim : At Fate's Edge"? It's a massive Oblivion conversion mod (4 years in dev) that I've been playing, and I am absolutely impressed. Better than vanilla Oblivion IMO.
    I played Oblivion on the 360, so no fancy mods for me. And my computer can't handle any kind of gaming.
    Last edited by BIG OLAF; Feb 24, 2011 at 06:58 PM.

Impressive trailer.
    I hope the improvements Split has discussed are the real-deal so to speak, but I'm not going to hold my breath.

I admit being a TES fanboy, but I refuse to waste my time with the console versions (or maybe, being a fanboy is why I can't stand them). Heh, maybe I am just an elitist jack-ass, but if you have been following the series for a while, it's hard to shake the feeling that the series has fallen victim to mainstream success (the dumbed-down role playing aspects). But hey, developers have to make a living after all...can't blame them I suppose.

I've been using mods (and creating my own) for too long to ever go back to vanilla TES. The massive mod and fan community is half the fun. Don't like how something looks, sounds, animates or operates? If you are willing to learn, and invest the time, you don't have to settle for anything.

I don't know, I just read the big GI article on Skyrim, and it really sounds like they revamped everything. Combat, interface, NPC interaction, leveling up...it's all sounding delicious.

Quote Originally Posted by BIG OLAF View Post
    I don't know, I just read the big GI article on Skyrim, and it really sounds like they revamped everything. Combat, interface, NPC interaction, leveling up...it's all sounding delicious.
    Yeah that article is where I got most of my info, I think they had it exclusively. I don't want to say it's going to be the best game ever, but...it's kind of sounding (and now looking) like it's going to be the best game ever.

Quote Originally Posted by AOI_Tifa_Lockhart View Post
    The female bodies on Oblivion, Fallout 3 and New Vegas are just manly and it was only with heavy modding did they finally end up looking decent (Rens beauty pack).
    To be fair, I would not expect the average women in either a medieval or nuclear holocaust setting to be beautiful. They probably would be a bit more masculine from having to work their entire lives (whether that be to pay a lord or scavenging a scarred waist land for scraps you have to fight for.) That said, I found everyone ugly in general, no matter gender (or societal class.) Cept Argonians, I love the lizard race.

I'm mostly just hoping the melee combat is more fun. While running around dual wielding spells is probably fun (as was blasting everyone in Oblivion with staffs or whatever,) hopefully melee will finally be fun as well.

Just noticed that the character doing the spin-move at 1:36 is holding a dagger in his left hand and a sword at the same time. Sick.