Default I'm looking nto getting a new desktop computer

A while back i posted a thread about getting a new graphics card, but based on the age of the computers i own i decided my money would be better spent buying a new desktop, does anyone have any suggestions for pre-built desktops (or possibly some easy ways to get parts) that can run modern games (Skyrim mostly of course) with little-to no-lag.

EEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE Nitro Vordex's Avatar

If by lag you mean having full 60 fps on all high settings, then that's gonna cost ya something good. Also depends on what monitor you're going to be using, do you need a new one, or are you using an older one? My card can run most games fairly well on all high settings, but that's because my max resolution is 1280x1024 on this monitor. If I had a larger resolution or a higher equivalent in widescreen, it would take a bit more power.

i don't need it on the highest settings (though i would like them to be at least decent) and I'm not exactly sure what the relation between frames per second and lag is, but im thinking about the type of lag in which the image slows down, not frame skip (though, again i don't want the frames to have too many skipped)

Not to jump on the "build your own rig" bandwagon, but getting a brand name PC that can play upcoming games at high settings is pretty expensive.

If the ability to play those games on high is a requirement for you, I'd recommend tracking down a friend or family member with the skills to put together a PC and just offering to pay them to do it. That's what I did with my current desktop (built about two years ago): I gave my brother my credit card and a price range, and offered to get him something nice in exchange (I think he got some computer hardware as well?). He showed me the parts on Newegg, and once I gave him the okay, he ordered it and assembled it for me.

In the end I spent ~$800 and I've yet to run into a game that I couldn't run with the settings on high. (Granted, that's a little on the high end for how much I usually spend, but I was treating myself to a combo art/gaming rig since I had saved up some money.)

If you're just looking for a decent computer that will run most games for the next few years in addition to everything else you need in a computer, I'd recommend picking up a name brand PC when there's a good deal. Just keep an eye out on Slickdeals or Dealnews or whatever and you should be able to find something nice.

www.CyberpowerPC.com

They build custom PCs to your liking. You can build your PC on the website and it gives you a running total. I bought a Dell XPS back in 2004 for $2600. Well it got stolen and I bought a PC from Cyber Power and it only cost me $1800 and it was a better PC than the XPS I bought.
    Orius - M.Newman lvl180 MF20 ---- Megalodon V9.0 - M.Cast lvl180 fG20/GM20
    _______ YOmap - M.Beast lvl104 PT20 ---- ダークエンジェル F.Human lvl57 AF11________

JP PSU
    www.psupedia.info/User:Orius

Team: Outsourced Mutiny lostinseganet's Avatar
    Lost somewhere between seganet and the grave

first you need to decide how much you want to spend.
    Second do you need a monitor.
    third brick and mortar or INTERNET
    fourth wait for holiday sales
    fifth can you build your own computer?
    Last edited by lostinseganet; Oct 5, 2011 at 07:33 PM.
    You need good D...!? Well so do I!
    PSO 2 + D.D.R.♪, Playable Instruments, AND karaoke! Think of the Competitive Anime Conventions!Dreamcast was art, and like art it was not appreciated until it was DEAD
    I like teh magics in my melee. Not teh melee in ma magics (^_0),
    Lostinseganet: Self proclaimed Melee FOrce!

alright, sounds like I'll be building it (i should be able to get my family member to help me he's built a few computers in the past) because that sounds significantly cheaper than buying a pre-built one with similar specs, thank you guys for your input.

EDIT: I have a friend who will help me build the computer and we have a lot of the parts sorted out already (its going to come in right around 1000$) and it should work great and i will hopefully post the current build we have set up here tomorrow once we get some details ironed out, so I'll hope to have some feedback, thanks in advance!
    Last edited by Kyrith_Ranger_Pso; Oct 11, 2011 at 04:51 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by steveburns View Post
    why a desktop computer just get a laptop its much more practical....
    Laptops pricewise are nowhere near as powerful as desktops, and may not even be possible for high end desktop cases. This is especially important if you wish to use the computer for gaming or certain types of media work.

Quote Originally Posted by Ketchup345 View Post
    Laptops pricewise are nowhere near as powerful as desktops, and may not even be possible for high end desktop cases. This is especially important if you wish to use the computer for gaming or certain types of media work.
    pretty much exactly what i would say, if i wanted to get a laptop of the same specs and such it would be hundreds more

Quote Originally Posted by str898mustang View Post
    www.CyberpowerPC.com

They build custom PCs to your liking. You can build your PC on the website and it gives you a running total. I bought a Dell XPS back in 2004 for $2600. Well it got stolen and I bought a PC from Cyber Power and it only cost me $1800 and it was a better PC than the XPS I bought.
    My 480 GTX SLI system cost me around that much....I had found deals through microcenter and online websites that saved me a lot of money. Online web sites aren't so bad until you pay all the extra fees, shipping and handling and look at some corners cut in building you own PC that may not appear initially....but they assume you will buy a PC every 2 - 3 years or upgrade and in as little as 6 months to a year you will feel the corners cut.

But hey, they are a business and they have to make money some how.

My advice:

1) Don't buy laptops.

Its not that I Love or HATE them! On the contrary they are great for certain things, but as far as thermodynamics go, Laptops heat up a lot and if you are playing the LATEST GAMES which utilize the latest and strongest graphics, it will cause tons of heat...You won't notice something in the first month or so, but you will six months down the line when the system overheats.

If you must get a laptop, be prepared to spend more money than on a PC for one that can quell those large temps, but for now stay away from them.

2) Desktops....I rather go with a Crossfire or SLI system on two weaker cards to beat one strong card than have one strong card altogether. Games today are programmed to take advantage of dual video cards and processors.

Specially a game like Skyrim.

Don't skimp on Power Supplies. Find one with a good waveform and stick to it, otherwise you are looking for a short. Remember, power supplies don't only feed power to all componets, they regulate and control voltages. Wide Voltages are not a result of the "hardware" as much as they are a result of how the power supply handles the current.

On another note:

Its amazing how AMD is up to its tricks again. Their newest Bulldozer processor scored higher on Battlefield 3 than the intel processor but not enough to be an "intel killer" BUT I must point out, it scored higher because Battlefield 3 is optimized already for AMD....so they took AMD video cards, and tested AMD optimized games to say "our processor beats intel" but outside of an AMD optimization it did not win against an intel processor.

However, 8 cores is nice and the performance difference between two underneath are very similar, but I rather take 8 physical cores than four cores Hyperthreaded. Physical is better than virtual. Still a great AMD product to level the playing field and it will scale better later. ^_^
    PSO-2 Info: Ship: 2; ID: セツナヤキ; MCN: ケイリン
    "If you want a bridge between past, present, and future, search for the void and awaken it!"