Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Driving Test

Default Driving Test

Well, I just passed my written test again and made an appointment for my driving test on Saturday, 4/16/2011. I got 20/24.

I think that I will pass it on my first try, but what got my mom when she took it a long time was the parallel parking and backing around a corner, and she thinks that's what will get me, too.

If anyone has any advice or tricks on the parallel parking or backing around a corner, as well as general tips, feel free to post them here.

This topic was also created on the SEGA forums.
    Last edited by Amaury; Apr 9, 2011 at 05:02 PM. Reason: Typographical error.

I don't really have any tips for you...because when I took the test they never had me do any of those things. Let's just hope it has changed since then and hope you don't have to, but either way, good luck.

Is it your choice of vehicle?
    If so, try finding a friend's hatchback/wagon. Flat back = easier to know where the back of the car is.

(Un?)Fortunately, I didn't have to do either during my test (suburban city, very few spots to parallel park, those that are are either full or often allow you to pull into one on the end, or 2 extra minutes to find a proper no charge parking lot), making the hardest part of mine backing into a parking space (I got it on the last try luckily, it wasn't something I'd practiced a lot).

Backing around a corner? I assume to simulate backing out of a parking spot from between 2 massive vehicles? Take it slow, wait a bit to turn the wheel, especially if the hood is very long. Check mirrors, especially the one that makes looking int he lane behind you easier, frequently. Depending on the person grading this part, you may be encouraged to speed a little bit (maybe 5 over), doing so is probably acceptable. Brake for corners, the only other issue besides the backing into a spot I had was I took one corner a bit too quick, causing part of the car to go over the line.

Will this be on the road, or a set up "parking lot" with cones and such?

Quote Originally Posted by Ketchup345 View Post
    Is it your choice of vehicle?
    If so, try finding a friend's hatchback/wagon. Flat back = easier to know where the back of the car is.

(Un?)Fortunately, I didn't have to do either during my test (suburban city, very few spots to parallel park, those that are are either full or often allow you to pull into one on the end, or 2 extra minutes to find a proper no charge parking lot), making the hardest part of mine backing into a parking space (I got it on the last try luckily, it wasn't something I'd practiced a lot).

Backing around a corner? I assume to simulate backing out of a parking spot from between 2 massive vehicles? Take it slow, wait a bit to turn the wheel, especially if the hood is very long. Check mirrors, especially the one that makes looking int he lane behind you easier, frequently. Depending on the person grading this part, you may be encouraged to speed a little bit (maybe 5 over), doing so is probably acceptable. Brake for corners, the only other issue besides the backing into a spot I had was I took one corner a bit too quick, causing part of the car to go over the line.

Will this be on the road, or a set up "parking lot" with cones and such?
    I believe that parallel parking is the first part of the test. Also, yes, they do it in the parking lot with cones.

One tip I got when I learned for parallel parking was this: Pull alongside, then reverse until your wing mirror is lined up with the end of the car you're going to reverse in behind. Once there, full lock on steering and reverse in slowly, putting full lock on the other way to straighten up. Make sure you keep checking both back and forwards; the front of your car will be out in the road while you swing it in, so be careful.

To be honest, I haven't needed to parallel park since my lessons (test was 3-point turn and reverse round corner), but I found the wing mirror guide to be helpful.

For reversing round corner, keep checking mirrors to make sure you aren't getting too close to the kerb (sidewalk, whatever you US doods call it) or veering away from it. I found that applying steering once my rearside window reached the apex of the corner was a good idea, but it'd depend on the car. Just make sure you constantly keep checking your back window/rear view and side mirrors, and take care not to scuff the wheels. Hopefully the car you use has good visibility.

Mind, if you're doing this in a parking lot with cones you shouldn't have pathways to worry about

Above all, keep calm if you can; you're more likely to mess up if you're nervous. If you hit something, at least it's only a test. Better then than on the road.

HUnewearl power since 2003. NGS Official Creator (SectionSkyly)

EEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE Nitro Vordex's Avatar

I had to do it with a corner pocket of a wall, meaning if I fucked up I scratched the car. You can imagine how upset my friend would have been had I scratched his BMW.

Only thing I remember was a little different for the parallel parking was that I lined up rear bumpers. It's not really that hard at all, just don't be nervous and don't be jerky in movements.

Parallel parking took me some practice. Pull up pretty much even with the car you're parking behind, back up 45 degrees to the curb, once you're almost touching the curb straighten out, then pull forward. I think they usually give you a few cracks at it. Just take your time, and remember that when you're parallel parking you have the right of way. They want you to park properly, not quickly.

I've never heard of being tested explicitly on "backing around a corner." I imagine if you can back out of your driveway you'll be fine. Keep in mind that your rear tires don't follow the same path as your front tires, so leave yourself some room.

Around here they also pick between making you back into a parking spot or doing a three point turn (you always have to do one or the other).
    Last edited by McLaughlin; Apr 9, 2011 at 06:26 PM.
    Success is not the result of spontaneous combustion. You must set yourself on fire.

Thanks for the great tips, everyone!

Keep 'em coming if there are more!

Let me sum it up in one word: practice!
    If you don't have a family car to drive, borrow your friend's, aunt's, uncle's & practice until you feel comfortable.
    Blink & you might miss it! ;3

Oh, keep sig at 600x180 px & 49KB, yah?

Quote Originally Posted by Dhylec View Post
    Let me sum it up in one word: practice!
    If you don't have a family car to drive, borrow your friend's, aunt's, uncle's & practice until you feel comfortable.
    I can't -- well, not on public roads, anyway. We got my Learner's Permit on 1/31/2009, renewed it on 1/31/2010, and that's it. It can only be renewed once, so when it expired on 1/31/2011, my mom started driving again when we both go somewhere.

We're going to try and use my aunt's ranch for parallel parking sometime before Saturday, I think.