Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Er, Japan isn't sinking. No more than Mt. Everest is "sinking". Japan is the top of an oceanic mountain range thrust up by plate subduction - so there are actually two continental plates that it's sitting on top of. Well, three actually, Japan sits on the North American and Eurasian plates, with the Filipino and Pacific plates being subducted under them. The actual landmass has been around for at least two billion years judging by the oldest known rocks found on the islands, and it's the aforementioned subduction zones which warped and distorted the coastline into what it is today as the pacific, philipino, etc, plates were jammed up underneith it starting at about 400mya during the Silurian period.

Japan is not going anywhere, and the only chance it seems to have of being submerged is if either some colossal caldera forms just underneith it (unlikely) and blows, or if sea levels rise. California is not "slipping into the ocean" either. The Midwest and Gulf of Mexico is going to be spending more time underwater than either of those two areas anytime soon.

But Iceland IS being torn in half by the Mid-Atlantic Ridge at the rate of a few centimeters per year.

Feed men, and then ask of them virtue!

On Sylverant.

Quote Originally Posted by Zarode View Post
    No, seriously, stop reading/watching the news. This shit happens all the time, the news will do anything to make it sound sensational. ANYTHING to keep you coming back, ANYTHING to keep you watching.

Besides, if it is certainly that time, why are YOU worried? You can warn people, but I wouldn't go that far. Most people have accepted their fates, just like you and me.
    I doubt you're watching this thread anymore...but don't worry what washguy says. Just look at his sig and that should tell you why he's running around like a chicken with it's head cut off.

No point in life if you're going to worry about the end of the world every time you wake up.

That one place you may or may not have been... East-side

Quote Originally Posted by Sinue_v2 View Post
    Er, Japan isn't sinking. No more than Mt. Everest is "sinking". Japan is the top of an oceanic mountain range thrust up by plate subduction - so there are actually two continental plates that it's sitting on top of. Well, three actually, Japan sits on the North American and Eurasian plates, with the Filipino and Pacific plates being subducted under them. The actual landmass has been around for at least two billion years judging by the oldest known rocks found on the islands, and it's the aforementioned subduction zones which warped and distorted the coastline into what it is today as the pacific, philipino, etc, plates were jammed up underneith it starting at about 400mya during the Silurian period.

Japan is not going anywhere, and the only chance it seems to have of being submerged is if either some colossal caldera forms just underneith it (unlikely) and blows, or if sea levels rise. California is not "slipping into the ocean" either. The Midwest and Gulf of Mexico is going to be spending more time underwater than either of those two areas anytime soon.

But Iceland IS being torn in half by the Mid-Atlantic Ridge at the rate of a few centimeters per year.
    Well lets hope that's the case for the sake of the people living on Japan and California... And anythings possible, i wouldn't throw your caldera theory out the window yet. But like i said, lets hope not. When you talk about the Midwest, do you refer to "The New Madrid Fault Line"?
    1 Corinthians 13 Love suffers long, is kind, envies not, isn't puffed up, doesn't behave unseemly, seeks not it's own, is not easily provoked, thinks no evil, rejoices not in sin, but rejoices in truth, bears all things, believes all things, hopes all things, endures all things, love never fails... (MATTHEW 24:3-51)

Quote Originally Posted by sCI View Post
    I doubt you're watching this thread anymore...but don't worry what washguy says. Just look at his sig and that should tell you why he's running around like a chicken with it's head cut off.

No point in life if you're going to worry about the end of the world every time you wake up.
    Not EVERY TIME I wake up, just during the middle of the day, and close to evening time And I'm probably more calm than you are believe it or not. I'm just focused.
    1 Corinthians 13 Love suffers long, is kind, envies not, isn't puffed up, doesn't behave unseemly, seeks not it's own, is not easily provoked, thinks no evil, rejoices not in sin, but rejoices in truth, bears all things, believes all things, hopes all things, endures all things, love never fails... (MATTHEW 24:3-51)

Quote Originally Posted by washuguy View Post
    The internet is where the REAL news is
    No it's not. The internet is a place where all the unfiltered shit and speculation gets dumped, unfiltered, for those who don't have critical thinking skills to sort through with no regard to accuracy or accountability. This is one the major problems with major news outlets, because they've taken reporters out of the field and closed their station offices to go the route of trolling blog and reporting as news what some asshole on the internet is posting. Further, on the internet there's no check for confirmation bias, so rather than getting raw unfiltered news, you're just getting a buffet of whatever the hell sounds good to you and agrees with your already established preconceptions.

By the way, if you care and you're trying to warn people, why aren't you defending your doomsday shenanigans? Why do you just keep dumping more unsubstantiated shit upon the pile without making either a case or a defense of the "warning" you're trying to provide? This is a pet-peeve of mine about conspiracy theorists... very few will actually try to defend their assertions, with the vast majority just content with trying to bury you in bullshit so deep and so fast in the hopes of drowning dissenting voices. And if that doesn't work, keeping shift the goalpost. If that doesn't work, get a bullhorn and scream louder.
    Last edited by Sinue_v2; Apr 13, 2011 at 04:13 PM.

Well lets hope that's the case for the sake of the people living on Japan and California...
    You don't have to hope; just look at the physical evidence.

And anythings possible, i wouldn't throw your caldera theory out the window yet.
    That wasn't a theory, that was an absurdity meant to fortify my point that the islands aren't going anywhere.

When you talk about the Midwest, do you refer to "The New Madrid Fault Line"?
    No... I'm talking about flood plains and hurricanes surges. What does the New Madrid have to do with flooding or "being underwater"?

Quote Originally Posted by Sinue_v2 View Post
    No it's not. The internet is a place where all the unfiltered shit and speculation gets dumped, unfiltered, for those who don't have critical thinking skills to sort through with no regard to accuracy or accountability. This is one the major problems with major news outlets, because they've taken reporters out of the field and closed their station offices to go the route of trolling blog and reporting as news what some asshole on the internet is posting. Further, on the internet there's no check for confirmation bias, so rather than getting raw unfiltered news, you're just getting a buffet of whatever the hell sounds good to you and agrees with your already established preconceptions.

By the way, if you care and you're trying to warn people, why aren't you defending your doomsday shenanigans? Why do you just keep dumping more unsubstantiated shit upon the pile without making either a case or a defense of the "warning" you're trying to provide? This is a pet-peeve of mine about conspiracy theorists... very few will actually try to defend their assertions, with the vast majority just content with trying to bury you in bullshit so deep and so fast in the hopes of drowning dissenting voices. And if that doesn't work, keeping shift the goalpost. If that doesn't work, get a bullhorn and scream louder.
    XD You're right... If it's one thing I've learned and am learning, you've got to sort what you get or it's easy to be swept away with a lie. But you CAN'T throw the baby out with the bath water, eat the meat, spit out the bones, y'know... Rule number 1? TRUST NOTHING on TV. I barley trust the internet, internet is EVIL. Really, you can barley trust books. And I'm not the most reliable, but I take stuff serious these days when it comes to making sure information is good and sorting it out.

No ones attacked me or said anything against me, so there's nothing to defend (Yet). And I haven't used the term doomsday... I just want people to pay attention to whats going on, don't just turn a blind eye. And I'm not a conspiracy theorist >_> I don't like theories, to much work. I'd never throw people off and go into fear tactics to prove a point unless the person is ignant (I spelled it that way on purpose) and wants to be a jerk and sit in blindness while it collapses on him.

Crazy Awesome Old Potato Man Guy HAYABUSA-FMW-'s Avatar

>_>
    >_>
    It's scary how raising things to level 7 makes me lose all hope and appreciate that

If Japan taught you to do that face, it seems like they've donated something to you and you're twisting it to lose whatever it was in the translation, when you're not donating anything to them, going all irrational instead!

Guess we can start by learning what "level raising" was in the first place and why. Surely you didn't know what that meant before the yahoo news. Don't worry, I didn't either. PROtip: Don't look for the answer on youtube.