View Poll Results: whats your dream pso2 art style?

Voters
40. You may not vote on this poll
  • pso 1, that cartoon blade runner look

7 17.50%
  • pso 2&3, a more slick and shiny pso1

4 10.00%
  • pso 1,2,& 3, I love everything about the classic games

18 45.00%
  • psu, I liked the east Asian, and classic ps throwbacks

4 10.00%
  • pso 0, I actually liked the cowboys and 10 yr old humar look

1 2.50%
  • something new all together, I always hated how the ps-online-based games looked

6 15.00%
Page 1 of 11 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Art Direction

Default Art Direction

I was thinking about what pso2 may or may not look like, and how one of my favorite things about pso 1,2&3 was the unique, almost dorky art style (see:jumbo feet). I'm going to be a pessimist here and assume that pso2 is going to be awfully generic like psu was (and almost all recent sonic team/sega games), but I've still got a bit of hope. (dimps)...

anyway

what would the perfect pso2 art style be? what are you hoping for?

My vote goes for PSU, but I would like a mix between PSU, PSO and new stuff when it comes to art style.
    - Character Customization: improved from PSU.
    - Clothes: being able to wear whatever we want like in PSU, but with a different style than what PSO and PSU had, something new.
    - Environment: improved from PSO.
    PSO2 EN (Ship 1): Johana
    PSO2 JP (Ship 2): Johana, Ezodagrom, Luppi, Lana, Yukari, Blune, Elysia, Elena
    PSU EN/JP: Johana, Blune, Ezodagrom, Luppi/Johana, Lana

Youtube: https://www.youtube.com/c/ezodagrom
    Steam: http://steamcommunity.com/id/ezodagrom

I loved the art style in pso 1,2, and 3. I don't even know why, but PSUs graphics bored me to death, and PS0's style was decent, but i didn't love it.

I'm a big fan of the art direction from PSO. I'm also a big fan of PSU's customization (but not so much some of the clothes).

My money is on a reboot of classic PSO stuff but eventually being over run by PSU style one-piece items and etc. However, my hope for the game is using PSO style artwork once again, but adding more clothing and armor pieces similar to that art style. Another awesome idea would be an armor permutations system (similar to Cast parts) to make everyone look unique while still keeping the look of whatever class you are playing. For example, if you are playing a Human Hunter, you can wear armor similar to the classic HUmar armor from PSO, but you can change the shoulder pads, colors, length of the pants and etc. It would be pretty cool. A lot to hope for though.
    PSO:BB / PSP2 / PSO2

I would agree with you that the added customization was great. Its much more fun to play in a world where everyone looks different, however, I felt like I was playing jrpg #1728 with psu.

I think the monster & environment designs paled in comparison to the 1,2,3 stuff. I was watching some videos on youtube yesterday and I think one of the big reasons i felt psu was weaker was that everything is grey/brown/washed out. For some games that can be great (shadow of the colossus, ico) but I dont think pso is the franchise for that style (I know there were lots of neon lights, but it all still felt very "drab".

also, looking through the old art books, I wish they would give us the HUnewm. (this is official pso 1 alpha-era art). I found it interesting that the MAG & axe made it into the game.

Last edited by blackmajik2021; Apr 13, 2011 at 04:41 PM.

EEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE Nitro Vordex's Avatar

Oh dear god, that looks like a terrible fan drawing.

I'd like to see the art style of PSO, but I'd be worried about how it's going to be "updated".

Quote Originally Posted by Nitro Vordex View Post
    Oh dear god, that looks like a terrible fan drawing.

I'd like to see the art style of PSO, but I'd be worried about how it's going to be "updated".
    all the initial concept art for pso looked like that. It was obviously very early stuff and more about the ideas than the technique of the drawings. I think they're far from "terrible fan drawings". They're done more in the vein of 90's era video game artwork.

If you look at how this sketch translated into the final product, I think its hard to imagine the HUnewm wouldnt have looked awesome.

Last edited by blackmajik2021; Apr 13, 2011 at 05:13 PM.

The James Franco of PSO2 NoiseHERO's Avatar

Anyone else reminding of Tetsuya Nomura's horribly deformed almost amateurish-looking final fantasy 7 style in those old concept arts?

edit: it also looks like the old school phantasy star but shifting into a modern 90's sci-fi like style, makes you wonder how many phases they went through to get to PSO...

Or maybe that Hunewm just looks like Barret with red spikey hair.

/Prefers the Megaman looking PSZ Hunewm >_>;;;

But yeah I voted for PSU's style and customization, typical anime themes can be annoying, but I do prefer it visually, but PSO's environments for sure.
    Last edited by NoiseHERO; Apr 13, 2011 at 05:56 PM.

AYY. All you nillas days is numbered.

Quote Originally Posted by blackmajik2021 View Post
    Spoiler!
    ^I am thoroughly convinced that it was from that goofy-looking [for a] Newman concept, that the Beasts were born, many years later.

Anyway, PSU's style. Sure, fanboys like to rage that PSU was too "anime" and "Saturday Morning Cartoon"-ish, but I personally liked it.
    Last edited by BIG OLAF; Apr 13, 2011 at 06:11 PM.

In Optimus Curtz we trust Broken_L_button's Avatar

There was no option to vote for this art style:

Spoiler!

Thus, I shall consider your poll biased and utterly broken.

...But, more seriously, I'd prefer something new. Not because I hated the look of the other games -both PSO and PSU's art had their charm for me...ALL HAIL THE CASTS AND ANDROIDS!!-, but because I'd like this game to actually be the breath of fresh air it seems to be promoted as.