Default Receptionist Job

Has anyone ever seen a male receptionist? I've never seen one. They speak of equliaty in the workplace but i've never seen a male receptionist/secretary

Tifa

Dreams of surfing rappies NegaTsukasa's Avatar

It's just how society works. they can speak of equality. but what actually happens is all based on choice. perhaps the stereotype of receptionists being female has lingered for so long that the norm is mostly female receptionists.

Yea it does seem to be just the way of things, peopel consiuder it to be a female position. I wonder if a male receptiionist would aim for a different title like administrator :P

Tifa

Yes, at my old job, there was a male receptionist.

I have also witnessed a female programmer and a heterosexual designer.
    "Sword logic? That's cute."

Yeah, it's pretty much like society things. Because Society tends to side with females when it comes to Public Relations, it often makes it tougher for males to take the role, and at the same time, try to do so.

It's not too far from, but a lot less volitile like the disappearing males from being teachers of lower-grade students. Society has painted a very mean picture that any male around his 30s and up, anywhere around kids, is obviously some child molester. (Here's a major point to one of the good things lost after the 80s) So obviously, guys don't want any of that hassle anymore. Where even one mean-spirited prank could land that person in the *enemy of the town* position before they have any chance to defend themselves. And even then, it's a good chance they'd get transferred (at best) under a lot more scrutiny. Teaching for lower grades is a woman's job because obviously people have decided it isn't a male one. So, in an odd way, it's male discrimination (including in courts) that pretty much is killing equality there.

Of course, all those kids today, think this is funny, and joke about it all the time. They're also ready to believe that they are such a thing at a drop of the hat. Oh boy, I really can't wait until they turn 30. That is, if any of them even want to bother with kids, anymore.
    Last edited by Akaimizu; Apr 20, 2011 at 11:42 AM.

Its simply a matter of perception. Most companies spend a considerable amount of time/resources solely to understand what people want. In a customer facing position such as receptionist it actually makes more sense for the receptionist to be female. If the receptionist were male there would be a perception of aggression and conflict. The potential reactions and a dozen other things that go on in the brain could affect someone visiting in a way that particular company might not want.

Its not really discrimination, its more stereotyping than anything else but thats just how people are like, no matter how civilized we think we are.
    Im really not that dangerous...

Maybe the males get promoted a lot faster and don't remain receptionists for long?

No. They literally don't even become receptionists, in the first place. Usually that job entails different kinds of work than the general regular jobs in the company. Like an IT receptionist. They handle all kinds of work completely in different categories than the various kinds of work by the other workers.

And yes, it's my point. Total job equality is almost impossible as long as such Stereotyping exists. Just that some stereotyping is uglier than others (and even unfairly applied), as I pointed out.

i'm a male Receptionist. and been one for the past seven years at a private club corp / country club at the desk. answering phones greeting members, taking apts. for massages, events, dinner. personal training, or membership. directions, taking a tour, etc

People don't want equality, they want PARITY.
    As for receptionist I seen both but ladies are more pleasing to the eye and the mind thus seems better suited to a greeter than a guy. Well that's the belief it can be either way.