Page 1 of 72 12341151 ... LastLast

Default Why I hope PSO2 will come to Consoles.

I really hope PSO2 comes to console and here is why:

Years ago, when I first got PSO (GC version), I never expected I would fall in love with the same so much. Soon all of my friends got the game and all our journey through PSO began. Since we didn’t pay for online, our main method of play was of course split-screen. And how glorious the split-screen was. Going around, calling our rare items and rushing all to get it and helping each other get better equipment and MAGs was a blast. No other game could replicate this.

Going over each other houses with memory cards with our character, popping it in and continuing the game was great. Even when I eventually got online, I didn’t play it as much as Split-screen, as the experience wasn’t nearly as fun. Playing with players I didn’t know, not being able to have those fun times with friends all sitting on a couch. Once when we were low levels we fought the dragon on Forest, and one of my friends didn’t get away fast enough and the Dragon’s corpse came crashing down on him. He was pissed but eventually we were all laughing, if that had happened online, it wouldn’t have been so funny, or wouldn’t have thought about it as much.

Pass two years or so, I now have put over 500 hours in the game, my most played game ever (one of my older friends put in about 1000, mostly playing alone.) So no doubt I was itching for a new game, and was extremely excited to see Phantasy Star Universe announced. Sadly as you all know, there is no split-screen in PSU, and this was just really a letdown. No doubt I enjoyed the game (got the game, expansion, PSP, and PSP2) but it was not nearly as fun as PSO. PSO: EP3 was slightly more enjoyable just due to the split-screen.

Skip ahead to last year and you have no idea how excited I was to hear PSO2 announced, a tear nearly came to my eyes. Finally a true sequel to PSO. Then that suddenly crashed when I saw: PC only. I was nearly about to cry out of sadness, not out of joy. What’s worse is that it seems like the game will have no offline to speak of, only going to online. I know Online is in the title, but the original supported a great offline (granted less content, but rather have split-screen with friends then lots of content.) This isn’t a true sequel; it’s just a game carrying the same name.

I know some PC fans will cry foul, saying the game would have much more on PC, and for that I could really care less. See I have a great PC, and many PC games, but for me, Phantasy Star has always been and should be a console RPG. It isn’t trying to push boundaries, it’s just supposed to be just good fun. Playing online is fun, but not nearly as fun as having buddies sitting next to you on a couch, each with a controller in hand.

What do you think?

I bet I could care less more.

I think you're going to have to stick to PSO. Sorry, I just don't see the series ever having offline multiplayer.

Also, there are dozens of practical reasons why a game such as this makes the most sense being PC only, but I'm not going to go into that, since that horse is quite deceased.

Quote Originally Posted by Korten12 View Post
    I really hope PSO2 comes to console and here is why:

Years ago, when I first got PSO (GC version), I never expected I would fall in love with the same so much. Soon all of my friends got the game and all our journey through PSO began. Since we didn’t pay for online, our main method of play was of course split-screen. And how glorious the split-screen was. Going around, calling our rare items and rushing all to get it and helping each other get better equipment and MAGs was a blast. No other game could replicate this.

Going over each other houses with memory cards with our character, popping it in and continuing the game was great. Even when I eventually got online, I didn’t play it as much as Split-screen, as the experience wasn’t nearly as fun. Playing with players I didn’t know, not being able to have those fun times with friends all sitting on a couch. Once when we were low levels we fought the dragon on Forest, and one of my friends didn’t get away fast enough and the Dragon’s corpse came crashing down on him. He was pissed but eventually we were all laughing, if that had happened online, it wouldn’t have been so funny, or wouldn’t have thought about it as much.

Pass two years or so, I now have put over 500 hours in the game, my most played game ever (one of my older friends put in about 1000, mostly playing alone.) So no doubt I was itching for a new game, and was extremely excited to see Phantasy Star Universe announced. Sadly as you all know, there is no split-screen in PSU, and this was just really a letdown. No doubt I enjoyed the game (got the game, expansion, PSP, and PSP2) but it was not nearly as fun as PSO. PSO: EP3 was slightly more enjoyable just due to the split-screen.

Skip ahead to last year and you have no idea how excited I was to hear PSO2 announced, a tear nearly came to my eyes. Finally a true sequel to PSO. Then that suddenly crashed when I saw: PC only. I was nearly about to cry out of sadness, not out of joy. What’s worse is that it seems like the game will have no offline to speak of, only going to online. I know Online is in the title, but the original supported a great offline (granted less content, but rather have split-screen with friends then lots of content.) This isn’t a true sequel; it’s just a game carrying the same name.

I know some PC fans will cry foul, saying the game would have much more on PC, and for that I could really care less. See I have a great PC, and many PC games, but for me, Phantasy Star has always been and should be a console RPG. It isn’t trying to push boundaries, it’s just supposed to be just good fun. Playing online is fun, but not nearly as fun as having buddies sitting next to you on a couch, each with a controller in hand.

What do you think?
    Sorry bud you should just suck it up and deal with it,it's a low chance it will be on console's.SEGA would have been announced it already,you know how they are.(PC was the smartest move they made.)
    Last one called,but the first one finished.

Quote Originally Posted by Corey Blue View Post
    Sorry bud you should just suck it up and deal with it,it's a low chance it will be on console's.SEGA would have been announced it already,you know how they are.(PC was the smartest move they made.)
    Let me guess, the reason why its the smartest move is becuase of a couple reasons:

1. Updates.
    - If this is really a problem, how about they use Steam which is now on PS3? Sure its not the same as Steam on PC, but it allows the creators to update when they want to. (and even then, on PS3 updates can be HUGE! MAG a FPS for the ps3 had a over 1 gb update.)

2. General Hate of Consoles.
    -No more to say about this.

3. Space and Holding the game back.
    - This is probably what most think and its BS. Finally screenshots and gameplay have been revealed and nothing it showed can't be on console, hell it looked it would be even more fun with a controller. Its graphics aren't anything amazing. Plus the game is instanced so its not like they would have to deal with thousands of players in a zone.

Honestly couldn't think of a fourth reasons, as there is no viable reason why they shouldn't also have it on consoles.
    Last edited by Korten12; Apr 25, 2011 at 04:08 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Korten12 View Post
    Plus the game is instanced so its now like they would have to deal with thousands of players in a zone.
    Looks like its still mission-based to me.

Nope,it will be on consoles.I mean think about it,alot it.So many ps3's and alot of sega fans*mainly the ps3's in japan are over millions*.So it will come out on consoles

Thanks to Vashyron =D!

I see where you're coming from, Korten12, because I had some fond memories playing offline multiplayer on PSO Gamecube with several of my friends too. However, I believe most people here (especially the PSU veterans) would agree that it would be more important and practical to keep the game PC-only for the sake of avoiding bad ports and "segregated" content among different regions and servers. Personally, I don't want to be a year behind Japan again, or have to wait for offline content to be added online (if PSO2 even has an offline mode), or be disappointed when I find out one of my friends has a different port of the game and I can't play on the same servers as him.

My FFXIV:ARR Lodestone Page
    3DS Friend Code: 0318-8097-4335
    Currently playing: Final Fantasy XIV: A Realm Reborn, Hearthstone

Realize that the only screenshots and footage of the game are of a pre-alpha state. The game can drastically change between now and release (which won't be for at least 6 months from now).

Also,
    hell it looked it would be even more fun with a controller
    I lol'd.

We're really going to have this discussion again?

Have fun guys.