Page 4 of 28 FirstFirst 123456714 ... LastLast

Michaeru is right. This is the same thing just like old fans of Square Soft badmouthing everything that Square-Enix has been making since the fusion of both companies when everything they made in the past and have been doing now is equaly awsome. Don't like recent games? Then just keep playing the old ones you like.

Looks and feels very pso-ish to me...

Of course they are going to take PSu's good points into account. I'm a PSO fan too, but some of you PSO fans are acting like PSU doesnt even exist lol.

I'm all up for PSo2 taking what PSU did well. I dont wanna go back to 2001 combat that's for sure. PSU's combat was a good improvement over PSO's.

Gunning sucks in PSU though, eventhough it's technically better, it's just done in a very lazy type of way. Your char always has the guns facing foward, when you shoot up in first person the bullets just magically fly up haha that's so lame.

Gunning in PSo2 looks awesome.

It would be stupid to leave out the good points of PSU.

Gate open!
    A place so far away yet so close at hand...

Quote Originally Posted by Michaeru View Post
    You mean nostalgia addicts?
    You may not like to admit it but there's a reason that when PSU came out it was critically panned and shunned by most of the original PSO fanbase: It's not a good game. Stop accusing people with better taste of being nostalgia this or nostalgia that. If PSU had even a shred of the respect the gaming community has for PSO I might be okay with your assertions. As it stands though, that's just not the case.

Here's a pretty solid explanation someone wrote on why PSU sucks:

PSO's "limited movement and fighting options" is what gave the game its gravity and "sticky friction" in terms of combat and strategy. Enemies moved at their slow pace, never stopping, until you came and hit them, which would make them flinch or sent them recoiling backwards a few paces. Likewise, the player could only move so fast, which they would trade in exchange for attacking. The gameplay was very delicately balanced around controlling the flow of enemies and disrupting their attacks, and each of your attacks were vastly more important because of the decision you had to make between using a quick attack that would flinch the enemy or a hard attack that would flinch the enemy and send them backwards but at the expense of slow startup and finishing time. Each class when played solo worked with this flow and when players played together, it was a beautiful symphony of cooperation.

Then in PSU/P, they tossed this all out the window and instead made all the players able to run around like mad, with every attack option being very mobile and huge in range with no consequence. Great swords had no difference to normal swords in terms of risk/reward because each of them swung around at high speeds plus the importance of weapons were further negated by the addition of Photon Arts which were just huge acrobatic attacks that would send enemies around you flying across the screen. Gunners were changed also so that they could shoot while running around, and they also shoved in a first person mode so you could shoot enemies that were flying around - which they used as an excuse to give every flying boss hugely irritating segments of them flying around forever and about 1 second of them being on the ground so that anyone without a gun could get one hit in before it went flying off again. Now this would be fine and dandy if the enemies were updated and changed around to counteract your array of skill, but instead of doing that, they kept them the same but took way their ability to flinch or get pushed back unless you were using a Photon Art.

Anyway, what all this mobile options and eliminating of risk/reward of every weapon did was that it made every melee completely homogenous/meaningless - you just rushed in, mashed photon arts if you were ever surrounded, and kill-a-thoned everything you saw. Every encounter had no gravity as enemies didn't flinch anymore unless you photon art-ed them, and made every battle really flimsy and non memorable. It really didn't help either that the initial PSU enemies were skin swaps of exactly 4 different enemy types and 3 bosses. PSU > P fixed some of the things around and got away with a lot of other really bad decisions (like initially guns used PP that you could only recharge by either waiting or using recovery items, meaning if you were gunning you'd have to carry around 12 guns because you'd run out of bullets in 1 minute and even then you were shit out of luck after using your expensive recovery items), but all the changes did was address how badly designed the battle system was without bothering to overhaul it all entirely.
    For your information, I was extremely excited about PSU and followed its development religiously. No way in hell did I go into that game hoping to dislike it.

Thanks, Michaeru. There are several problems with your statement, but it would, in my opinion, be futile to point them out to you.

I will trust you, however, not to attempt to dictate to me, or others, to pretend not to be disappointed that a game called "PSO2" is seemingly not retaining much of what we liked about the original game. The original game that, you know, it is supposed to be a follow up to?

If you want to play PSU, why don't you go play PSU? There are sure as hell enough incarnations of that abomination for you to choose from. And hey, it looks like you'll have one more come summer 2011. You win!

Gaming loses.
    Last edited by Callous; Apr 29, 2011 at 04:47 PM.

I was the same way when I heard about PSU never did I intent to go in hating the game.

But I just couldnt help but feel the crappiness of the game. I was like "wow really this is what's gonna replace PSO?"

I was expecting much more.

I too feel that these PSU fans only who never played PSO throw out the notalgia card far too often everytime they need a way to defend themselves.

PSo was something amazing for it's time. For starters it was on Dreamcast and ran GREAT under 56k which was unheard of for it's time. Especially on a console.

usually games like these are mostly popular on PC. But DC showed that online gaming could be fun on console aswell.

The graphics were great, the music was awesome, the classes the art style everything.

So with all this in mind of course people (us PSO fans) were expecting something awesome from PSU and hoping for the best for it.

However...we didnt get that at all.

I dont think I need to go into detail as to why this is lol At this point everyone knows what's wrong with PSU.

I was talking about flame's post btw

Quote Originally Posted by Callous View Post
    Thanks, Michaeru. There are several problems with your statement, but it would, in my opinion, be futile to point them out to you.

I will trust you, however, not to attempt to dictate to me, or others, to pretend not to be disappointed that a game called "PSO2" is seemingly not retaining much of what we liked about the original game. The original game that, you know, it is supposed to be a follow up to?

If you want to play PSU, why don't you go play PSU? There are sure as hell enough incarnations of that abomination for you to choose from. And hey, it looks like you'll have one more come summer 2011. You win!

Gaming loses.
    I'd say give at chance,SEGA has no excuses this time.
    Last one called,but the first one finished.

The James Franco of PSO2 NoiseHERO's Avatar

I dunno...even the way you guys talk sound crazy. :0

AYY. All you nillas days is numbered.

“Nostalgia addicts“... that's one way to put it. There are number of people at PSO World who continue to visit regularly due to some notion of respect or affection for the original, not a few of them with accounts around 10 years old. It's probably natural to want to recapture the feeling of that fantastic experience, when it was new...

If SEGA want to make PSU2, the should, and call it what it is. I'm sure people would play it. This recently teased title is so early on that fans piece together what little we have into a plausible speculation. Final product may be quite different.

Gameplay? Mechanics? Console support? Global servers? MAGs? Character clothing? All negotiable points as far as I'm concerned. What I want as a fan of the original is a sequel that derives directly from the setting and story of PSO, if you're going to call it PSO2.

Will I get what I want? Time will tell, I guess, as the alpha comes and goes and the picture of this new title becomes clear. At this point, its worth keeping an eye on, IMO.
    Tax the fucking churches.

Quote Originally Posted by Corey Blue View Post
    I'd say give at chance,SEGA has no excuses this time.
    Well, They do have a bad excuse for a game director. But yes, I will buy it and probably put at least 100 hours in before I write off this franchise for good (or until they get someone else behind the wheel).

The James Franco of PSO2 NoiseHERO's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Palle View Post
    “Nostalgia addicts“... that's one way to put it. There are number of people at PSO World who continue to visit regularly due to some notion of respect or affection for the original, not a few of them with accounts around 10 years old. It's probably natural to want to recapture the feeling of that fantastic experience, when it was new...

If SEGA want to make PSU2, the should, and call it what it is. I'm sure people would play it. This recently teased title is so early on that fans piece together what little we have into a plausible speculation. Final product may be quite different.

Gameplay? Mechanics? Console support? Global servers? MAGs? Character clothing? All negotiable points as far as I'm concerned. What I want as a fan of the original is a sequel that derives directly from the setting and story of PSO, if you're going to call it PSO2.

Will I get what I want? Time will tell, I guess, as the alpha comes and goes and the picture of this new title becomes clear. At this point, its worth keeping an eye on, IMO.
    This is exactly why I say, they should have just called it phantasy star galaxy. :\

AYY. All you nillas days is numbered.