Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

But I see what you mean Deco. Because they pretty much made the Computer market choices thread-bare, is probably why certain actual genre-creators did not make the list. I figured the ones that started the whole RPG genre, that wasn't a table-top, would've been just as important; but they were first invented to be played on computers not consoles.

Dune II did invent the RTS genre. Dune 1's late game did lead up to it, but wasn't fully realized as an RTS. Just had some initial underpinnings that could lead up to what Dune 2 became. Dune 1 was a game that switched genres as you played it. It started out as an adventure game which, over time, became a light prototype real time strategy game. Paul's powers increased as you played the game, so in game story he eventually could talk to all sorts of people's minds directly and he gained the special power of sight to see things around Dune. This was sort of the excuse to get the player to control forces with the overhead-RTS view, moving forces around with clicks of the mouse, etc. How you had direct control to order troops to move around without you having to go see them directly anymore (like you did a lot in the earlier game). So it was kind of neat to see a story that explains how this Sleeper awakened to powers for which explains how a commander could perform stuff like an RTS and view it that way. Not all origins of an entire genre have such a story behind them.
    Last edited by Akaimizu; May 22, 2011 at 04:27 AM.

I was seriously excited to hear that PS I and IV made it in. I see PS II as being a little more historically important than IV, but that's alright. They're both great games. PS I was particularly amazing to me because of the crazy sci-fi elements and the sheer scope of it. I've always found the original Final Fantasy really interesting in its setting, because of the science fiction undertones, and PS I is pretty much contemporaneous with it and explores it more fully, even with interplanetary travel. That's pretty crazy.

I also agree that Ultima should have been represented. I still find the early games to be really unique.

Forever protecting Gurhal Deco_Bryl's Avatar

Pioneering computer games like Dune II totally should have made it in. Without Dune II, for example, we wouldn't have Warcraft, Starcraft, or Command & Conquer and its spinoff Red Alert. To ignore computer games is arrogance.

Ultima should have made it in, too. Although I've never played it, I've read that Ultima IV revolved around mastering eight key virtues. The one Ultima game I have played, Ultima VI, was about making peace, not war. Few RPGs dared to deviate from what Computer Gaming World magazine called the kill-the-foozle plot. That, I feel, deserves praise and recognition.

Most awesome! I love that they're getting this recongnition, it is long overdue.
    I wish every PSO-World member playing PSO2 would have this outlook/attitude:
    "I'll be honest: I'm a man of simple pleasures, and as long as I get to stab the blazes out of something, I'm pretty content."
    Tactlessness is ugly, willfull ignorance and bigotry is even uglier

Im surprised Sonic 3 & Knuckles didn't make it. Wtf it was like THE game of the Sega Genesis, 13 stages, with i think 12 of them having 2 acts (making it 24 unique background sets), including the final stage with all the emeralds. Not to mention probably one of THE best soundtracks in a game during the 16 bit era.

And the fact they looked at PSI and PSIV but not PSO is ASTOUNDING. I can see overlooking PSO Ep.I&II, but PSO Ep.III was one of the most artistic games ive ever played in my entire life. And when PSO came out back on Dreamcast, it's graphics and OST quality were damn near unparalleled.

Edit:

This list is fucking garbage, because i did not see Nights into Dreams on that list. All creditability is lost. >:/

It's only to be expected. There are too many games out there for all of the great ones to be recognized. But there are so many franchises overlooked on this list for me to even being to bash this thing. But seriously, omissions of games like Nights, or franchises such as Breath of Fire, which just BLEEDS artistic diversity from the artstyle, to the writing, to even the music (Breath of Fire III <3<3) are just unforgivable.
    Last edited by RemiusTA; Jul 8, 2011 at 05:07 PM.

I'm guessing that the reason PSO didn't get picked is because it wasn't really that special for it's time. It's a great game and all, but it really isn't that artistically special (at least not in the actual game itself), which is what the whole exhibit is about.

Phantasy Dad Online II Dragwind's Avatar

Heh, interesting. I can understand why PSIV got picked, but not too sure about the punishing PSI.
    PSO, PSU, PS:Po, PSZ | PSO2: Jergraw (All classes 90) Lunaeris Demoria (Fo/Te 90) Onlak (Hr 90)
    -**Tech crafting max- message me for crafts**-

Forum Rules - Read it!

Pioneer II, Clyez City, Clad 6, and the Arks Lobby.

Im surprised PSO wasnt added to the list as well. I mean, it was the first online game on a console, if Im not mistaking.

Quote Originally Posted by RemiusTA View Post
    This list is fucking garbage, because i did not see Nights into Dreams on that list. All creditability is lost. >:/
    Ok. That was quotable stuff right there. I'd also think Nights should make it up there, but alas it was unrecognized by a lot of folks who just didn't "get" Nights. Alas, the truth that a number of truly innovative perspectives have a good chance of being passed up. I personally seen it happen quite a few times. The idea or something that gets passed up, but the person took it on its own to make something special somewhere else. The people who over-looked it. Well, that's their loss.

Believe me, some of that credibility was already lost on me after the ommission of Ultima, and Wizardry. Still, I think it's a bigger crime to leave out games that kick-started entire videogame genres. At least they got Dune II right.
    Last edited by Akaimizu; Jul 15, 2011 at 03:23 PM.