View Poll Results: Who thinks there should be these options?

Voters
10. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes, I.M ftw

4 40.00%
  • Too much of a hassle

0 0%
  • Portable version? Damm right!

3 30.00%
  • We dont really need a portable version...

3 30.00%

Smile Instant Messaging/Portable Version

I was thinking a cool addition to the site would be Instant Messaging. i mean, i find it SOOO annoying when your playing PSP2 and you have to do that stupid chat. You could chat on the site instead of that annoying chat thing in PSP2. But i guess that kind of conflicts of the meaning of posts...

Also i think maybe there should be a portable version. I've seen a few other threads that recommend this. When I go to check the site on my iPod it's kind of hard to do...
    "Be careful for what you dream for because it's there, sometimes day dreams turn into nightmares"

Since my primary means of going online is through my PSP (the browser on that is horrid, but what can I do if I can't even afford a bargain basement PC); most IM chat programs out there I can't even use.

I do use computers at the library, but I'm only allowed on for 1 1/2 hours a day when the library is open, so that means while I can use some IM chat systems, none of my friends are on.

There was a pso-w IRC chat back in the day. That didn't turn out that well (died after awhile.) Though what you're asking for sounds almost like the way Facebook runs their IM service, kinda outta the way and at the bottom. Not sure if vBulletin even supports such a feature. I could also see it being abused, with two users getting in a fight on the boards and then instantly moving to harassing one another in the chats (though I guess on the flip side it'd be off the board.)

I do know there is some sort of mobile version mod for vBulletin, however I don't know how easily that would be to implement. Plus (after looking it up) it looks like it's for vBulletin 4.0, and if you scroll down to the copyright/trademark info, we're running 3.7.6. Though in the recent theme thread Tommeeboy did say

Quote Originally Posted by Tomeeboy View Post
    We've been working toward some future site upgrades, which will likely include updated forum software,
    If we do get a forum upgrade, maybe options like what you have said will exist. No idea if we'll be stickin with vBulletin or going to a different software all together. Only Ryna or Tommeeboy would probably know that.
    Last edited by Sord; May 17, 2011 at 01:14 PM.

never heard of a site. always use the psp to message. I get pissed off when no one answered 30 minutes later.

"Play, kitty, play."

I think something similar to Facebook's chat would be a very nice feature, but as said, it would depend on the capabilities of future forum software. It would be especially cool if it would interface with your friend list for easy access. Would be a great way to build community here.

EEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE Nitro Vordex's Avatar

Yes, let's all harass each other in real time.

In all seriousness, I don't really like the idea of an entire forum having an IM chat. I'm not sure how you're going to moderate a chat, either, unless you can save chat logs or something. I think it's just me not liking the idea of an IM service for a board, it just ruins the purpose of the board.