Page 5 of 11 FirstFirst ... 2345678 ... LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by BIG OLAF View Post
    Because being a pessimist is a win-win pattern of thinking. If you're a pessimist (I'll admit that I am!) you're either:

A. Proven right (if something bad happens)

or

B. Pleasantly surprised (if something good happens)

Either way, you can't lose! Try it out sometime!
    But you forgot about:

C. You sound like a whiny little bitch 24/7, probably have low self esteem, and outside the internet, nobody thinks you're fun to hang around as your pessimism doesn't translate very well into everyday activities.

Rationality =/= Pessimism. If the whole world was like this, we would have gotten absolutely no where. Try being rational for a change! You'll sound like a pessimist in some instances, but people will generally care about what you say more because you have better (and non-biased) backing behind it.

In context of this forum....well, it applies the same, really. Neither PSP, PSP2, nor PSP2i used PSU's shitty synthesis system. They replaced it with something else (better). Whether that was due to time constraints or just plain them knowing it was an ass system, only they can tell us. PSO2 has already been shown to be substantially different than PSO, PSU AND PSP2. It's already obvious things are changing -- why are we focusing on PSU's problems, of all games?

From a rational standpoint, you should probably focus on whatever problems lie in PSP2i. Perhaps if you apply them to a larger MMO model you'll wind up back at PSU's doorstep, but i really wouldn't be all that worried. You should also look at the flaws of other current popular MMOs...which, i will admit, doesn't make it look any less grim.
    Last edited by RemiusTA; Jun 13, 2011 at 07:34 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by RemiusTA View Post
    But you forgot about:

C. You sound like a whiny little bitch 24/7, probably have low self esteem, and outside the internet, nobody thinks you're fun to hang around as your pessimism doesn't translate very well into everyday activities.
    Yes, this also sounds like me. I only crossed out the first part because I don't whine. I'm a intellectual pessimist. I don't just bitch for the sake of bitching. That's silly.

Anyway, SEGA did very well realize that PSU's synthesizing system was absolutely terrible, and that's the exact reason why they totally dropped it in the Portable games. However, I think what has happened is that they realized that a large(r) game like PSO2 will need a crafting system, such as synthesis, present in the game to extend it's longevity. However, as I stated, they know not to rehash PSU's atrocious system. Hopefully it's something new, completely from scratch.
    Last edited by BIG OLAF; Jun 13, 2011 at 07:37 PM. Reason: typo.

....Well, i wasn't pointing at anyone in particular, Olaf...

Anyway, SEGA did very well realize that PSU's synthesizing system was absolutely terrible, and that's the exact reason why they totally dropped it in the Portable games. However, I think what has happened, is that they realized that a large(r) game like PSO2 will need a crafting system, such as synthesis, present in the game to extend it's longevity. However, as I stated, they know not to rehash PSU's atrocious system. Hopefully it's something new, completely from scratch.
    Yeah, thats exactly what i was getting at. They fixed it for the portable games, but since PSO2 is going to be much larger in scale, they'll have to probably have to revert to something similar to PSU's.

But like i said, i wouldn't really be worried at this point. From what i've seen, most of the shown physics engine looks to be vastly improved from PSU/PSP2i's engine, which means they probably did build it from scratch. Im pretty sure they'll be changing alot of stuff around.
    Last edited by RemiusTA; Jun 13, 2011 at 07:40 PM.

Oh. With the way you worded it, it sounded as though it was directed at me. Oops.

He just added a third item >_>. And this is one Remius and I can agree on.

I am not a pessimist. A cynic, maybe. A realist for certain. But not a pessimist.

I think you need a little cynicism. Otherwise you're just naive.

Yeah. It's hard to tell when to cap the lid on how cynical one needs to be these days.

Just don't overdo it or you'll end up like those conspiracy theorist wierdos =_=l

Vulcan Taint Pincher moorebounce's Avatar

At the end of the day we may see Sega has learned it's lesson. All their Phantasy Star games had good and bad in them. If they make them anything like the latest portable games things should be okay.
    PSO2 JP Ship 2 Jazmin - HUcaseal - Team: Paranoia-Gaming
    PSO2 NA Ship 3 Orro Munroe HUcaseal - Team: Dark Alliance

Yeah, with these portable games, i see a good outlook for future games.

Off Topic: I want to know what I am!