View Poll Results: What genre should Phantasy Star Prime be?

Voters
22. You may not vote on this poll
  • Live-Action

8 36.36%
  • Anime

14 63.64%
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    THE POWER IS YOURS!!! CaptainPlanet's Avatar

Default What genre do you think Phantasy Star Prime should be?

Hey all, CP here! It's been a long year in pre-production so far and Phantasy Star Prime is looking as grand and majestic a project as ever! We've run into some pretty daunting roadblocks in the past year, some of which would be enough to drive most people give up on such a massive, intimidating project, but our passion and dedication is unwavering and we have worked around every obstacle that has gotten in our way. If there is one project that we are absolutely determined to complete, it's Phantasy Star Prime!

That being said, I have started this poll to see what the public opinion is as far as what they feel Phantasy Star Prime should look like. I won't state whether or not this will affect the project as a whole, however we are interested to see the results and neither genre is out of our capability to produce. Each has its pros and cons and we want to know what you think! Comments are also greatly appreciated as it helps to voice your opinions even more! We aren't just doing this to see our passion come to fruition, we're also doing this for all of you!

'Though I haven't really been following this, I would imagine a PS movie looking better as an anime. I just can't imagine a live-action version looking right.

EDIT: Whoops, hit the wrong button in the poll. *Facepalms*

That's alright, Seth. I know what you meant. I really appreciate your input.

It is now:

Live-Action - 2
    Anime - 1

Anime. It's a pseudo-anime-inspired game series, so it would only be fitting to be animated if it was ever turned into a movie and/or TV show.

it must be live action, it'll be rediculously incredible either way, but seeing that trailer, you guys look awesome for the roles!

While I don't know what your plan is for this whole thing (and don't want to read through the whole other thread to do so. Yup, I'm lazy), depending on how "phantasy" you want to make this, anime may hold certain advantages. I honestly don't know anything about budget or the quality of your special effects department, though, so I might just be saying a bunch of pointless stuff. I also lack any real knowlege of the difficulties of either. However, I don't imagine that doing special effects is the easiest thing. For example, techs, photon weapons, and any sort of hostiles would, I imagine, be quite hard to do via special effects, again, while making it look good (since I assume you want to keep to a reasonably high standard).

It is written with a wide audience and newcomers to the franchise in mind. It takes a normal modern setting with average people and gradually exposes the viewer to "phantasy" as time goes on until about half way through the first movie, they are completely immersed in the aspect of Phantasy Star. This is a transition that is written to make sense with the story, so it could technically go either way at this point and still make sense from an artistic standpoint, no matter what the art style was.

There are pros and cons to both, however. With live action, we are likely to expose a larger audience to the material as well as have it be a live-action video game-based movie that actually had extensive research done with the source material on a minute scale, making sure every last detail is perfect (unlike other video game movies). The sense of reward on the developers' side would be much more monumental as well, although the workload is infinitely larger in comparison. On the flip side of that, Anime would be much easier to pull off and we have all the artistic freedom we want, however, there wouldn't be things like blooper reels and other little gems that a lot of movie-goers find so dear.
    Last edited by CaptainPlanet; Jun 28, 2011 at 07:53 AM.

Live Action would make it very Campy and usually garbage if without the properly mechanics to do so.

"It looks cool this way, let's stop."

Either way, I'm going to watch this. When I first heard you were doing this I was pretty skeptical, so I went back through your posts and found you were actually doing a lot of research, trying to please everyone from the most die hard fans to the people who don't know anything about the series.

On to my vote: I'd prefer it to stay live action, since the anime video game based movies tend to only be viewed by the hardcore fans, and from what I've seen of what you've put together so far, it looks really good as live action.
    PSO GC: Justyn FOmar lvl200
    PSU PC/PS2/Xbox 360:Aftermath (Returned to the shadows)
    "That which appears harmless can destroy mountains"

In my opinion, both. Each has their own redeeming and damning qualities. Just make sure to have both "done right." lol
    Last edited by arktheshadow; Jun 28, 2011 at 07:18 PM.