Default What would you do?

What would you do if say one your Facebook news feed you find someone posted one of those chain things making a claim that you thought was false, and upon double checking (such as at Snopes), was? Would you post a link to the correction, ignore it, or basically say the correction your own (nicely) way?

Reason for asking:
    Friend posted a chain post about the "Pledge of Allegiance" minus the words "Under God" appearing on a particular soda brand's (Pepsi in this case) cans and to boycott the brand along with the Statue of Liberty. A quick trip to Snopes shows that it was actually Dr Pepper cans, they were a limited run from late 2001 to early 2002, and had only 3 words (out of 31) of the Pledge on the cans "One Nation... Indivisible." Also, the words "Under God," the reason for the protest, were not in the original Pledge, they were added around 62 years after it was originally written.

EEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE Nitro Vordex's Avatar

I'd correct the hell out of it. And post the Snopes link.

I didn't know that the under god part was written into it later. Interesting that it's still there, in a country (supposedly) about freedom of religion and such, while subtly suggesting that the U.S. is blessed by God, and not by other deities, rendering them irrelevant. Though, it could be argued that it's not stating which "God", but more than likely it's based off of the Christian belief's God.

Also chain posts are stupid. Saw one of my friends posting about pandas eating people, and that they know someone who had someone eaten by a panda. Now replace panda with anything that probably isn't indigenous to my area (or dragons) and that's what you have.

I don't think it would hurt too much to correct it.

I'd also say that anybody who considers boycotting a soft drink because it doesn't feature the full pledge of allegiance (accurate or not) probably has better things on which they could focus their attention. I mean no offense to your friend, but it seems like a silly movement to try and promote.

On Sylverant.

Most of the people I know that would actually have an issue with them taking out "under god" wouldn't stop just because you blatantly and straightforward-ly proved them wrong. Most people like that are ignorant and simply bitch because their ignorant friends and their preachers tell them to. They don't know any better.

If you correct them it will not solve their problem or teach them anything if they are actually religious. So if you're doing it to piss them off, yes. If you're doing it because you honestly want to teach and ignorant person the truth? Don't.

Ironically, I actually side with them though(and my opinion has nothing to do with religion or god).

Eagerly awaiting Eva 3.0 MESeele's Avatar

Correct it. It won't serve any purpose, but do it for your own satisfaction. And perhaps...perhaps someone will check it out in curiousity and learn something from it. But don't count on that last part

@sCI: Mob mentality. People are lambs looking for a shepard to lead them... y'know, wherever . When enough people congregate that hold the same belief, eventually they will cling together and move together without a shepard's influence. They will create their own leader. An intangible one. Own who cannot be shot or proven wrong. In this instance, ignorance becomes self sustaining.

^This isn't an attack on religion or any particular group though, but is a note on the general nature of any large group of people - which also extends to the group this topic concerns. Society is an amazing thing in what it can do, and for what it allows to happen.

Take the recent hockey riot for example. Potentially, that entire thing could have been induced by one person that had a talent for leading people - be it through knowledge over them, or though natural charisma. People fall in line and protect each other, regardless of what they are led towards. Quickly, usually dependent on size, the induced mentality becomes self sustaining and no longer requires the original instigator. They become a community of sorts for a time. People who've never met will fight together under a belief that wasn't even originally their own.

Hmmmm. This has been brought to you by MESeele tangents. I can't help it .

I'd just ignore it.

But I guess it depends on how much you care for the person.

If it was a close friend I'd tell them via chat so they could save face and delete it.

I ignore any and all chain letters. This is primarily because the people on my facebook that actually do this aren't people I'm close to. They're all distant family, friend of friends, or mere acquaintances that I don't care to much about their opinion or stance on anything since it is not immediately relevant to me (I suppose ballot issues may be relevant because of voting, but that's the exception.)

My actual friends, the people I truly call friends, we all hate and despise chain letters, so it's always been a non-issue with them. We're all quickly hearding to Google+ for it's circles sorting features and the like so we can avoid that kind of crap.