Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: PSO2 rant

a comfortable place between dreams and reality

That's what I thought. I wouldn't be surprised if it releases for PC first, then hits one of the consoles 6 months down the road. CD Projekt just pulled that move with The Witcher 2. It makes sense from a business perspective since PC games just don't bring in the bank like console games do.

If you read the letter on pso2.jp from Sakai, he very strongly hints the game will be PC only. PSOBB and PSU have lasted the longest with the most support on PC. What he wrote was that this time they wanted to have a single platform with one unified server. So I really can't stress this enough, for the people bitching about this game on a console that means you must be willing to accept that condition on delayed or ignored updates!
    Last edited by Kion; Jul 27, 2011 at 07:05 PM.

It just doesn't seem so black and white to me. SEGA is just pulling a "derp" on additional platform support. That level of uncertainty from developers/publishers usually indicates they have an unfinished strategy more often than not. PC gamers get the shaft often enough that even the possibility of an exclusive is enough for them to take something fairly unsubstantiated and run with it. I'd expect them to release on PC, then play any additional platform support soft until they have an idea how well it will perform at retail.

Well, it is now PC only, from the latest trailer we've seen.
    Nintendo Switch: 5668-1176-9106

Thats fine with me I got A decent pc so I should be able to run it without no problem.

So, it's .. PC only. What's the big deal?

Hey, Sega has some presence on Steam. How do you guys think they'll go about digital distribution? What are the odds it'll be on Steam?
    Last edited by Firocket1690; Aug 10, 2011 at 11:39 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by amtalx View Post
    That's what I thought. I wouldn't be surprised if it releases for PC first, then hits one of the consoles 6 months down the road. CD Projekt just pulled that move with The Witcher 2. It makes sense from a business perspective since PC games just don't bring in the bank like console games do.
    Given how console friendly the specs and interface seem to be shaping up, I would expect them to be pursuing at least one console platform for release - if not a multiform release contingent upon how.negotiations go with the hardware manufacturers. Whether or not anything comes of it, who's to say, but they have positioned themselves strategically to make it happen if and when the red tape is cleared.

Quote Originally Posted by Anon_Fire View Post
    Well, PS3 does look like a nice choice and it's an improvement over the PS2, but after that long "PlayStation Network Downtime" fiasco I wouldn't want to chance it.
    I can't see that actually bothering Sega very much, and it's not like they have any better of a track record. Consider how many times PSO & v.2 on the Dreamcast went down for weeks at a time. There used to be the old standard line of someone there spilling their coffee on the server and just getting in their car and bailing... or tripping over the power cord and not figuring it out it wasn't plugged in for a week. There was also that time they forgot to unban some newly released items, locking a significant portion of their userbase out for almost a month. Surely I'm not the only one who remembers trying to navigate that labyrinthine hell of an automated Customer Service line trying to get a real person on the line so you can give them your SN/AK so that they could unban you. PSU has a pretty shaky history as well, given the number of billing server errors during major events as server crashes due to lobby spamming in the early days.

PSU and PSO have seen more combined downtime due to Sega's own incompetence at managing their servers than the PSN has ever seen due to hackers.
    Last edited by Sinue_v2; Aug 12, 2011 at 03:57 PM.

Feed men, and then ask of them virtue!

Using logic and a sound approach to business will get you nowhere. You have to pick a side and make sweeping assumptions to prove your point if you want to survive in one of these threads.

Probably gonna get attacked for this but I would actually like to have it on consoles. I don't care what anyone says, PSU was one of my greatest online experiences I've ever had......and I would love to relive that. I'm just more of a console gamer than I am a PCG.

With all that being said however, I'll still play it of course if it's PC only.
    Forget Backspacing, Delete that S***