Page 25 of 25 FirstFirst ... 1522232425

Thread: Update: Enemies

Quote Originally Posted by BIG OLAF View Post
    You haven't seen the gameplay video, have you? The "feel" isn't at all like PSO (at least not the combat; the overall setting and atmosphere seems to be PSO-esque, however).
    Different people have different things that make their PSO nostalgia tick, PSO was amazing in the sense that it left us with so many vibrant nostalgic memories.

For some it may be the music, for others it may be the art direction, story, content, environments.

Combat is whatever...I doubt many would honestly prefer PSO's combat to the albeit new and improved form of combat brought about in the newer Phantasy Star games, because the only thing that changed moving in to PSU combat-wise is that it became more responsive and fast paced.

I highly doubt it has anything to do with the combat mechanics.

Combat in PSO was among the most boring I've ever played. Melee combos were the same 3 hits for the weapon with no variation (I mean that the only difference between combo, strong combo and special combo was the slowness and some SEs). In case of rangers, well, at least they had combos, but it was the same than melee. For forces, I didn't like the little amount of spells, as the spells were the FO's "weapons" and every class had a crapload of weapons.

PSU, in my opinion, improved a bit in case of melee, making combos more dinamic. Problems were the freaking usefulness of melee attacks, overwhelming and displacing many other mechanics, like many technics, and also the fact that everything relied in PAs, making normal attacks useless except for the first one to do an Exact and to replenish some PP. Techs were almost the same, with the improvement of having more variety, but the dissadvantage of tech binding, and that variety being just element swaps. And guns were the same, but without combos.

I wouldn't like to have PSU system back, but by hell I'd prefer it hunderds of times over PSO's. I feel rlieved because it seems it's not one or the other, but some sort of mix, at least in melee, where combos are more dinamic. I hope technics too, and guns, but it seems is not going too bad.