Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast
    The James Franco of PSO2 NoiseHERO's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by StriderTuna View Post
    Yeah I do remember how wRPGs were super niche compared to the few jrpgs we got back then. And the Snes era was the beginning of the golden era of RPGs. In a way "The Spirits within" was a factor in the end of such widespread creativity.

Well... bad grades were never a problem, though I didn't get much in the way of money until I hit 18 where I had jobs easily supplying my buying habits. Well... some in my family believe "Just be cause you grow old doesn't mean you have to grow up (completely).
    I guess the growing up part is more related to my patience...

And being drown in tropes my whole life, especially ones popular in Japanese culture.

It kind of makes you sick like eating the same thing over and over but for me it attacks my attention span first and I just don't feel obligated to get into a game. Or even if I do, all I do is beat it and drop it.

AYY. All you nillas days is numbered.

Quote Originally Posted by Michaeru View Post
    I guess the growing up part is more related to my patience...

And being drown in tropes my whole life, especially ones popular in Japanese culture.

It kind of makes you sick like eating the same thing over and over but for me it attacks my attention span first and I just don't feel obligated to get into a game. Or even if I do, all I do is beat it and drop it.
    I never played much generic stuff and I'm someone who will replay a game after I beat it,even if it's months later.

Tales games may not have the best pilots, but the characters are rather high quality.

I never played much generic stuff and I'm someone who will replay a game after I beat it,even if it's months later.

Tales games may not have the best pilots, but the characters are rather high quality.
    I'll admit that I've only played Symphonia and Vesperia, but to me it felt like some of the character personalities from Symphonia were directly cookie-cuttered into Vesperia. The main difference was the roles of the characters in story, but as per actual personality traits

quiet innocent girl that wants no harm (collette/estelle)
    spunky girl that's outworldly aggressive at times (Raine/Rita,)
    typical aloof male (think it was Regal/Yuri.)
    Etc.

Yuri especially is a huge trope. Typical aloof male that mostly cares for himself and a few close others that somehow manages to get dragged into crap, find out he actually has an important past. So I have to disagree at least on those games concerning characters. The whole dual rivalship/friendship between Yuri and Flynn also felt very very typical, especially of anime. If I had to pick a story and set of character though, I'd say I like Vesperia more, especially once things get heavy with the guild city.
    Last edited by Sord; Aug 2, 2011 at 11:42 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Siyamak View Post
    I'll admit that I've only played Symphonia and Vesperia, but to me it felt like some of the character personalities from Symphonia were directly cookie-cuttered into Vesperia. The main difference was the roles of the characters in story, but as per actual personality traits

quiet innocent girl that wants no harm (collette/estelle)
    spunky girl that's outworldly aggressive at times (Raine/Rita,)
    typical aloof male (think it was Regal/Yuri.)
    Etc.

Yuri especially is a huge trope. Typical aloof male that mostly cares for himself and a few close others that somehow manages to get dragged into crap, find out he actually has an important past. So I have to disagree at least on those games concerning characters. The whole dual rivalship/friendship between Yuri and Flynn also felt very very typical, especially of anime. If I had to pick a story and set of character though, I'd say I like Vesperia more, especially once things get heavy with the guild city.
    There are some common archetypes but they're generally executed differently. I wouldn't say Yuri and Regal are of the same archetype as Regal seems much more stoic than Yuri. And Raine came to me as more reserved barring ruins or Lloyd being stupid.

You should try playing some of the other Tales like Abyss as it's more of an outstanding example of characters. Though in the tales series, Yuri and Flynn's type of rivalry is a change from the normal (epic life and death affairs) Even an old game like Destiny has some surprising characterizations (as well as the original "rival" character, Leon.)

Quote Originally Posted by Mantiskilla View Post
    Just my opinion but I tend to think that part of the jRPG genre has declined due to the bulk of the age bracket who grew up with it are well getting older. jRPG tend to be time consuming and thats a good thing; however, with a lot of the audience who fueled the rise of the genre being older (college, out of college, married, career, etc.) I think a big chunk of those people who used to purchase the games no longer do, or if they do it's not an immediate, or important purchase. With some younger audiences out there today there are very good wRPGs to chose from so that can also play into the decline of it over here. Years ago obviously you either played a jRPG or not much else.
    I'd have to agree with Mantiskilla on the change of audience, but it seems that the older we get the more all genres of videogames decline in general or they're just not as appealing as it used to be. Its hard being original these days, it could be that or how the current audience prefers a game to be which will make it sell. Just an opinion thrown out there though.

Quote Originally Posted by Siyamak View Post
    Honestly, for every wRPG, I seem to see or hear about 4-5 different jRPGs. That may be flooding of the market right there, or that might just be me having a skewed perception. I don't know.

One of the biggest differences though between wRPG and jRPG though, is the amount of action in wRPG games, and the fact they have become more integrated with other game styles. While many jRPGs continue to trudge in the same style for years now (turn based level grind, with a few spins on the combat system.) Take games like Bioshock, Fallout 3, Oblivion (soon Skyrim,) the Fable series, Mass Effect, Borderlands, etc. They were all fairly big hits (though Fable has admittedly been shooting downhill since 2 if you ask me due to lack of difficulty and extremely short playtime.) None of them are like the RPGs of old (and by old, I mean like super nintendo and sega genesis or further back.) Every one of them is a major title and part of a franchise now, and none of them are using turn based combat. You are playing the single role of a character, that engages in actions that are popular in the midwest (shooting or hack n slash, and definitely not turn based.) I think the majority of the west simply does not care for turn based combat, something that's as old as pen and paper gaming. It feels archaic and is no longer very engaging. There's also a much greater immersion when you're controlling your one guy, who can become an extension of yourself. You cannot do this in jRPGs, characters are locked into their personalities and you have to deal with several of them. The only way you are going to get immersion in jRPG is if you like playing 10,000 rounds of the same strategy game (the numerous "fights") and the story actually interests you. Neither of those are well received in the west.

However, some RPGs have come out of the woodwork of Japan that are also not strictly adhering to typical turn based combat with one or two spins thrown in. The Tales series for one. I've met people who didn't really care for jRPGs, but would play these (especially since the release of Symphonia for GC) simply because it was real time combat and it's a great multi-player co-op romp. PSO definitely felt ahead of it's time, because it completely threw the cooldown timer and turn based combat out the window and it was about single character control and actual action, and it was online. While Monster Hunter is still relatively niche, it still at least has a pretty nice following behind it, more so than most other jRPGs over here.

Story wise, jRPGs try and be too complex half the time, and it usually seems like it turns around and bites them in the ass. One of their biggest problems seems to be the constant rehash of character tropes. Now that every jRPG is trying to throw in 20 damn characters or something (perhaps to appear epic or something,) character writing is stretched thin (or maybe they really are just terrible writers now.) Even major franchises like FFXIII suffer from this, heavily. Within the first few hours of gameplay, every single character can be immediately pegged as an overused archetype. That's not to say wRPGs don't use them, but since we usually play the role of a silent character we don't deal with it from the main guy, and anyone we bump into quest wise might be there for a little bit, but not really long enough to even care they are a cliched character.

One could argue that jRPGs aren't even RPGs. What "role" are you even playing? All characters are locked into their personalities and you're moving through a dozen or more of them. That's not roleplaying, that's just strategy gaming. The Legend of Zelda is more true to the term RPG than most jRPGs actually are.

Then there's voice acting, it's very well respected in Japan, not so much over here. Most localized jRPGs have shit for voice acting, and whenever the whole game starts feeling like a movie, well, who wants to listen to 40-100 hours of shitty voices that grate on the ears? While this is the fault of the localization team, and not really of gameplay development, when you're throwing long cut-scenes in every hour or two and speaking nearly every bit of text, it gets old, fast. wRPGs don't suffer as heavily from this (though some do,) because they were made by the west, for the west. They feature prominent voice actors in western gameing, sometimes even actors from movies or TV shows. It's far more enjoyable, and talking is not as over used because we're playing a silent character half the time. On top of this, the current trend is to give a player several different choices so they can play the way they want. Not lock them into a long story they are probably going to hate peppered with repetitive combat that can take 5 minutes to an hour. Shoot/slash an enemy a few times, he's downed, you move on. Turn based combat, have fun running around in a dungeon, getting hit with random encounters every 10 seconds that initiate an opening sequence, a long period of gameplay time (in comparison, a few seconds to several minutes is a big jump when added up,) and then a winning sequence (unless you lost of course.) Then you go back to your character, take 20-50 steps, BOOM. DO IT AGAIN. Suddenly thirty minutes to an hour later you've maybe covered a small stretch of land. Once again, this gets old, fast. And for all the pretty graphics and over-the-top epicness they throw in, every move loses it's luster when you've casted it on enemies a million freaking times.

I'm not saying there's anything wrong with liking the gameplay of jRPGs, to be fair, some have pretty deep and intricate battle systems that can really do a lot with some micromanaging. However, that is not a popular trend over here. Especially with more casual gamers (which, btw, have pretty much exploded into the market,) that only play an hour or two at any given time. A lot of people don't want to invest time in getting through a learning curve. They just want to sit back and relax and play a game whose gameplay comes intuitively to them.

Then there's marketing. It doesn't take a rocket scientist to see western games get better marketing in the west than games from the east do. Sometimes there are some trend breaking jRPGs that really should have been better marketed over here and could have succeeded with it. That, however, is not the only issue, and anyone that thinks so is seriously fooling themselves.

I've very interested to see how well the new PSP FF (Type-Zero) will do. It's a major J franchise title breaking away from the jRPG trend in gameplay mechanics (and it's not Crystal Chronicles, ouph.)

That's my take on it at least.

Wish I could have a counter for every person that isn't going to read this 'cause of length, lol.
    Let me try to answer this in an efficient fashion.

Japan has a different take on roleplaying than the west, putting you in the shoes of the lead and seeing all his struggles inside and out. And most modern wRPGs have the illusion of freedom as in the end you only have 2-3 paths and you still kill the final boss. A shocking experiment in non-linearity is the Saga series, where you're free to chart whatever course you want, and it might make you think "What would this character focus on". For example, you might figure the nomad girl would value the plains than politics or you might figure she might want to get involved with them. Sadly I'm not sure if most recieves them well as the games only gives you hints on where to go (The western media cries "No story" because it's not spoonfed)

But the cutscene issue is what I mentioned as the infamous excesses of modern RPGs. Also jRPGs having sometimes lacking VA is due to the US branch being cheap. Most games in general involve animation VA studios, such as Bang ZOOM. On the other hand, target fans of modern wRPGs drool at the mention of certain actors being involved though it's seen as a risky action (Such actors are usually 2-3x as expensive as an animation VA.)

Also some of hte games you mentioned aren't really RPGs, Bioshock is more an typical upgrade-ladden action game but with a bit more effort on the plot.

Repetive battles? That's a thing easily tossed at wRPGs. Also some things like Tales aim to make the battles fun (and possibly making that the best part of the game); Tri-Ace is similar in that regard with the story playing second fiddle to the item creation systems and battles.

But the way I'm starting to see wRPGs these days as they're sacrificing elements of a RPG just to appeal to people. Strip enough rpg elements from a and it stops being a RPG and becomes something else, possibly with a nice story.

I'm not sure how well "Type-0" will do seeing how people didn't like FFXIII's departure from convention.

Though these days writing quality has generally decreased from the Snes era. FFVI had 13 playable characters, each of them standing out on their own. Archetypes and cliches are generally used because they work, and it's never a good idea to view the character solely by archetype as it's a vague view and causes a warped view, particularly of the originators of the archetype. Such are prone to being called "generic" by people following that view. What happened with FFXIII might have been a result of flawed writing and flawed perception. People are prone to assuming something and sticking with it despite any evident refuting it.

Though I must say your PoV is interesting as it's likely what many long time wRPGers think of the other side.

Quote Originally Posted by Zettaizero View Post
    I'd have to agree with Mantiskilla on the change of audience, but it seems that the older we get the more all genres of videogames decline in general or they're just not as appealing as it used to be. Its hard being original these days, it could be that or how the current audience prefers a game to be which will make it sell. Just an opinion thrown out there though.
    Part of it is the generally declining quality as companies start to abandon their core fans for the sake of a slice of the massive causal pie. This in turn results in talented developers basically being driven out of the companies they made famous and hacks filling in the gaps. There's been a few articles about how this thinking will backfire one day.

This is also why there's been so many western developed reboots as of late: They want in on the casual action. Most fail though because the company overseeing can't grasp causal taste and their inability to do so is something no amount of western development teams will fix. What happens is that the core fans are alienated and the would be fans either don't care or detect the true nature right away.

jRPG's main hope is in the niche as there's still some measure of quality there, some measure of remembering the core fans.

In short, it's casuals' fault, though when this trend (causal gaming) does die, it'll be taking a decent chunk of companies with it as they'll be unprepared for life without them but instead all the jilted fans they've abandoned.

I'm tempted to laspe into a joking rant involving the west's love of angry bald men, regenerating health, mostly brown games, and bloom.

I'm tempted to laspe into a joking rant involving the west's love of angry bald men, regenerating health, mostly brown games, and bloom.
    angry bald men- Cole/infamous? (sort of)
    regenerating health- HALO
    mostly brown games- RESISTANCE 3 LOL

Quote Originally Posted by Taijutsu-Joshua View Post
    angry bald men- Cole/infamous? (sort of)
    regenerating health- HALO
    mostly brown games- RESISTANCE 3 LOL
    Bald/angry- Kratos, common sheperd, Star Killer (angry bald dark jedi with lightsabers)

Regenerating health: various modern FPSs, including Modern Warfare. (Last time I checked regenerating health was futuristic, not modern)

Same goes for mostly brown games as folks think it's REALISTIC for a FPS to be mostly brown/gray/etc.

But I seen your remark about FFXIII in another thread, and that was quite hyped, partially due to the earlier screen shots which promised something more action packed/dyanamic than the final result. This might have caused some of the backlash that occurred as folks overhyped FFXIII into something impossible. That and the less than conventional elements of it likely turned off some causals used to "Press X to summon/win" common in some other FFs.

Me? I like it for what it is (then again I'm familiar with niche series like Tales and SMT) and the AI in FFXIII seems pretty spot on (with a Med/Hea character focusing on the leader/you the most)

Repetive battles? That's a thing easily tossed at wRPGs. Also some things like Tales aim to make the battles fun (and possibly making that the best part of the game); Tri-Ace is similar in that regard with the story playing second fiddle to the item creation systems and battles.
    I know that, but what I meant was, in a wRPG like, say, Oblivion, the battle is over in less than a minute or so. Sometimes seconds. Where as in a turn based RPG it takes much longer unless you're just over leveled for what you're fighting. Yes, there are longer fights, but they're more the exception than the rule. Traditional RPG, which jRPGs stick much closer to, the battles can take several minutes a fight unless you're over leveled. That time compounds, quickly draining short attention spans. I realize that's a matter of the person playing it, and not so much the game itself, but it seems in general the western market prefers to have a shorter attention span.

I admittedly play more western RPGs, but I do honestly enjoy certain aspects of jRPGs. So I usually understand where both sides are coming from and don't ever knock either side (that is, I don't knock the fanbase,) because ultimately it just comes down to your personal preference.

In fact, I actually have played the SaGas series. As a kid, I loved SaGa Frontier. It was a freaking awesome game from what I can recall of it. However my opinion then and now might be different if I played through it again. I haven't seen a physical copy of that game in ages. Me and my 3 best friends (they were all brothers to one another) played the crap out of it. Though even then I thought naming characters Red and Blue was a bit silly. Also played the PS2 Romancing SaGa. My main was Sif, she was my favorite for all the norse influence attributes thrown in. I did not however beat that one, I just got bored with it. I've watched those previous mentioned friends play it for several hours though (they were also the same ones I played the Tales games with.) I enjoyed the music, visuals, and the atmosphere of Romancing Saga, but it's just not my type of gameplay anymore.

I'd say your wording of "stripping down" of RPGs is more of a jRPG thing. Myself (and most wRPG players, I would think,) see it more as integrating. Though I do admit games like Bioshock aren't the greatest shining example of an "RPG," but I still consider it one. However, it may just me my view. Not like I've ever polled anyone on it.

Honestly, there's so many things that fit under the label RPG now I honestly just think we need a new naming system all together. It's like the argument that PSU isn't an MMO. To some people the fact it's totally instance based means it isn't an MMO, to others that changes nothing (frankly I don't care either way.) It's just a conflict within the language more than anything. Even the base words themselves are vague and hazy. "Role Playing Game," okay, you play a role of a character, in a game. That's a lot of freaking games. "Massively Multiplayer Online," that's technically just about every popular online game. Definitions get decided by culture though, and if you have two competing cultures within the same vernacular, you run into a language conflict. Grey areas go everywhere, and then people bicker about genres (which I find to be admittedly stupid, you should be talking about the quality of the individual game itself!)