Page 1 of 7 1234 ... LastLast

Default What is your view on love?

From so many subjects that interest me, the subject love is probably in the top 3. I would really love to hear what you think about love/true love/marriage/the one/relationships in general.

For me, love is very important, and although it is said to be a chemical reaction I do think it goes way beyond that. And I guess I do somewhat believe in true love and the one (even if the relationship might not last with "the one" person, it is just that really special feeling you get towards that person that even if you look them in the eyes after years you get that butterflys in stomach feeling).
    I have now almost been 5 years together with my fiance, and I can with a 100% honesty say I still love him like on day one. Of course, nobody can say if it will last forever, life changes and people change, and maybe our ways will seperate one day. But I do really hope that that won't happen and that when I am all old I can sit next to him in a wheelchair and talk about our fun times we had together.

To the subject of subject of marriage. I would like to marry, but nor for religious reasons, but so that I could call him my fiance and that we would be seen as husband and wife. Just to tighten our bond even more.
    It is sad to see so many marriages fail, but I do think a lot of it has to do that many people marry for the wrong reasons or that once they are married they stop caring. They start to get lazy in the relationship. And marriage is still that, a relationship. Just because you are married shouldn't mean that your relationship is "safe" and that you need't work on it anymore. I think it is always very important to appreciate your partner, their good sides aswell as their bad sides. And of course know that you also have bad sides, and always will, but both of you can always work on them.
    Anyway, I just think, that through marriage many people think that their partner is now their proberty or something like that. Which is why they just start to treat eachother different.
    Like said, for me marriage is just a stronger bond for ones relationship, but in no way something that makes your relationship safe.

Enough from me for now.
    Let me hear your thoughts!
    http://www.pso-world.com/forums/signaturepics/sigpic41657_37.gif

Love is nice when it's returned. It's shitty as all hell when it isn't. Chances are, everyone, no matter how stingy or uptight, is probably going to deal with it at least once in their life whether they believe it or not.

As per marriage, I don't believe in it, for a few reasons. I don't follow a religion. I'm not saying a god doesn't exist. But like hell am I going to trust somebody else that they know god's grand plan or that they even have the right one in the first place, if he is actually there. Second, I don't believe the government should even acknowledge marriage. Your intimate relationship with whoever is something they should not have their hands on in any way (outside of possibly aiding domestic abuse victims or something.) If I love a person, I don't give a damn if God acknowledges it, or the government, and since that's one of the main bases of marriage (unless you're not marrying for love and some other reason like it also used to be.) You don't need God, government, or a marriage to sustain a relationship. If you really love the person, you'll stick with them and help one another. Marriage is not necessary in any way shape or form. Also, yes I realize there are certain tax and insurance benefits to those that are married, but honestly I think that's total BS. They should either offer benefits to people who have remained living together for X amount of years or none at all. It shouldn't be related to marriage. If 2 friends just share a house or apartment and rely on one another's income for a long time, and one of them dies in a car crash, how is the other friend any less screwed over financially than if a long term couple met the same fate?
    Last edited by Sord; Aug 3, 2011 at 03:26 PM.

I'd only marry if the partner was significantly wealthier than I was (unlikely!) so that I could divorce them and make out with half their worth.

I find love to be a silly, useless emotion that has little place in modern human life. I'm sure I'll get flamed for saying that, as I always do, but it's how I feel.

Love is the driving force behind success in our actions, and I don't mean success in the sense of "pass or fail," I mean success in a more general way, enjoyment perhaps. If we love ourselves and our actions it doesn't really matter what happens as a result. Love allows a path to a more sustainably happy life.

Having love for another is a natural result of falling in love with your life.

I personally think it's one of the most overrated emotions. People seem to over emphasize it's worth and lose sight of everything else in this world because everyone is in pursuit of the posterboy image of true love. So much to the point that when one even throws out the word love, usually the first thought that comes to anyones mind is that of a man and women coming together.

There are still many other forms of love, the love of a parent for their children, the love of siblings who care for each other, the love of friends are actually, no bullshit, really friends, rather then frequent acquaintances who put up the visage of friendship, the love we have for our interests in life such as art, music and performing, and many other forms of love. With each and every example of the of form of love, there needs to be a balance, anything in excess in this world is wrong. Too much of an emphasis is placed on love in our society and on being in a perfect relationship that people force marriage and relationships because they see everyone else doing it, because as a society we seem to over emphasize it's worth. So much to the point that people are moving faster then they can think and react to what it is they are really doing. Since so many people do it it becomes an accepted practice.

Just my two cents though.

"Brotherhood asked for no friendship, only loyalty. They stood back to back as the galaxy burned - always brothers, never friends; traitors together unto the last."

Marriage? Eww. The L word? Eww x2. There have been a handful of girls, but that was little petty school crush things. Although I have been guilty of L wording one person, but that turned out to be the most complicated experience of my life and it still is >_>

Still don't ever plan on marrying her tho just to throw that out there. >_>
    Forget Backspacing, Delete that S***

Yeah, Love/Marriage is overrated. You're right about that OLAF.

I'm not out looking for my significant other, or something like that. However, it's bound to hit all of us at one point or another. How you deal with it at that point is gonna affect how you're gonna feel about it years later.

Maybe decades ago, love meant something, but now, it's useless.
    Look at a soap opera. Girl 1 dates Boy 1. weeks later, Boy 1 cheats on Girl 1 with Girl 2. Claims he loves her. In revenge, Girl 1 sleeps with Boy 2, and the story goes on... yadda yadda.

My point: Love is herp derp. LOL.

Glad I came to that conclusion at 16. That'll save me years of trouble.

a comfortable place between dreams and reality

Jeebus Christo, when did everyone get so jaded?