Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

I'm guessing media popularization as well as a combination of parenting. One of the biggest influences of me not following any church was as a kid, my parents would constantly shift churches based on their ideals. Even as a kid it struck me as odd that everyone was saying their version of God was absolute, and here my parents were picking and choosing between which ones they liked. Yeah, that's not conflicting at all *eye roll.* I was the kid that questions Santa Clause and the Easter bunny by the time they're out of kinder garden though. My parents still do this with churches to this day.

As per marriage, my parents split up when I was 5 or 6, both remarried different people, divorced them. Dad remarried a 3rd time, mom's been in and out of a few boyfriends (not sure if she even wants to marry anymore.) All but maybe 2 or 3 friends I know offline come from parents that have eventually split, that's out of about 20 or so friends I have.

I'm also a thorough believer in separation of church and state as well, which is another reason I don't believe the gov't should have any say or even acknowledge marriage.

So I suppose that'd be why I'm jaded.
    Last edited by Sord; Aug 3, 2011 at 05:14 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by amtalx View Post
    Jeebus Christo, when did everyone get so jaded?
    Last I checked I was kind of tan. Calling me "jaded" would be pretty inaccurate, unless you're color blind, in which case I'm sorry.

I'm among the group that doesn't believe in true love at worst, and at best finds it an improbably rare occurance that only really strikes a small handful of people. Anything less than true love I see as one's mind trying to add meaning to lesser emotions. Either way, I don't see love as something for me. It's just not worth it.

EEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE Nitro Vordex's Avatar

ITT: foreveralone.jpeg

Love is a necessary force in life, despite what a lot of people believe. A life with no passion or love for anything is not a life worth living. That doesn't mean you should end it, but you should improve. Anyone who floats through life just being logical and "smart" is pretty much an emotionless robot. If there's no fire, no passion, no drive in your life, then what are you even living for? You can't say for yourself, because you pretty much aren't. As far as I'm concerned, finding something you love in life is a main priority. It should make you happy, and make you feel like it's completely worth it. That doesn't necessarily mean you have to be in love with someone, marry and have a bunch of kids. In terms of loving one another, you should share a mutual love of each other, encouraging their good points and forgiving their faults, and maybe even agreeing to change them.

Also, people who believe in only one person to love are a bit silly. It's always possible to love multiple people. Always. Falling in love is not connected to one single person as opposed to the [billions on the planet.

tl;dr Love is important and don't think otherwise.

I feel the same way you do, OP. Love and relationships are very interesting topics.

I think that love is often turbulent, but it has to be in order for your bond to mean anything. I've been with my boyfriend for close to a decade now. It makes me sad to imagine that other couples we knew have split and that perhaps they would have been happier if they'd stuck by eachother for a little longer.

Quote Originally Posted by Oatmeal View Post
    I'd only marry if the partner was significantly wealthier than I was (unlikely!) so that I could divorce them and make out with half their worth.
    Kill yourself please.
    The soon-to-be Steel-type Gym Leader of Ace Trainers United, FC will come along soon.

Haha, this thread is going to reek of flame. It's very sad how some feel that way I can relate though, love is indeed something that could back stab you if you go chasing it. I'll probably be another supporter of it, humans are emotional beings you could say any emotion is useless. It's a rare occurrence, but if returned it could be something very rewarding. It's definitely not overrated, and without it we could live a miserable life, giving up all hope in the world and such. No emotion is needed to live, but love is just something I would rather have than not. The love and support of my family, friends got me where I am now. Love is the most important emotion we could ever have we would depressed or sad in some way without it. As for romantic love, I see it as more of a gift than a need but probably the most desirable thing this world has to offer. It will be more than worth the effort once you've gotten it, but people tend to sulk and cry about it when it didn't happen yet or they've been baited and used. We shouldn't dwell on it, but if you really want it no pain no gain just keep that in mind.
    Last edited by Zettaizero; Aug 3, 2011 at 09:24 PM.

I like love overall. Romantic love is O.K. I might like to marry a nice girl who would live in a different house and not want to sleep in my bed all the time. (It gets too crowded and much too warm.)

I believe I share the Dan Savage view that there is no such thing as The One and that most people could be happy with any number of potential partners that they'll never in their lives meet. I also believe that some people are fundamentally incompatible with romantic love (for any number of reasons) and would always have trouble deciding that the pros outweigh the cons no matter how many wonderful, caring relationships they find themselves in. (I don't mind admitting that I fall into this category.)

TLDR: do what makes you happy.

Edit for amtrax: I think it must be considered that message boards for online RPG communities are not typically the best places to get balanced answers on the question of love.

Second edit, for posterity: I've been L-worded too many times for comfort, and I L-worded somebody once and still cringe when I remember it. Just say no to L-wording, kids.
    Last edited by CupOfCoffee; Aug 3, 2011 at 10:30 PM. Reason: amtrax, posterity

Quote Originally Posted by CupOfCoffee View Post
    Edit for amtrax: I think it must be considered that message boards for online RPG communities are not typically the best places to get balanced answers on the question of love.
    That's the most useful piece advice of a life time.