Page 3 of 14 FirstFirst 12345613 ... LastLast

great i loved PSZ's drop system.

As long as my drops are my own, my team mates are belong to them and anything I drop is free-for-all then I'm happy.

Quote Originally Posted by ARASHIKAGE View Post
    I like the idea, though I'm not sure if you will be able to drop items for your teammates because of this. Which would suck if you buddy needs more trimates or if you want to drop some moon atomizers on the ground during a boss fight. It might have to go through some annoying players selection and trade window before you can hand it off to someone (ala monster hunter). That process is really annoying and has no place in a fast paced game (imo).

Item usage down time is a great idea, and works very well to create team stratagy and character awareness. I'm all for this, plus it gives Forces a bigger healing responsibility on the battle field.

Back to individual player drops: Does anyone think it might take away from some of your excitement of finding a rare weapon? Sense you will be the only one that sees it drop.
    This is honestly the reason i really hate this form of drops.

On the one hand, you're eliminating problems between teammates when fighting over drops. But on the other hand, you're also eliminating a huge factor of teamwork and connection with the players. Sure, you wont have to complain about drops anymore, but when everything is on a per-character basis, it really disconnects you from the team. It's almost like making the game half-single player and half-multiplayer.

I don't think i or anyone else has ever had a problem with just "Hey, can i use that Trifluid that dropped?" Or, "Hey, Sally died, who picked up that Moon Atomizer that dropped in that other room", or "Hey do you need that ???? Sword you just found i could really use it". Not to mention, this pretty much destroys 50% of the purpose of "Section ID's" in the first place. The excitement of seeing what other classes may drop is gone because....well, you'll never see what the other class drops unless they tell you. Which i believe is an extremely, extremely stupid feature in a party-based online game.

I think that removing that aspect is going to make the game not as fun. Not "GAME BREAKING", but still not as fun. Afterall, i never had an issue with just putting the rare drops on "Random" to make it 100% fair between everybody. And in all honestly, it's really no different than a per-character drop system. There is no difference between random pickups and per-character drops. The only difference is you get to whine like a kid when you're the one who sees it/picks it up, but not the one who gets it. But in all truth it'd be absolutely no different than it simply not dropping for you in the first place.

Per-character drops are really just a catering to whiny little babies, IMO. It's a Win/Lose situation. In my opinion, the loss is far greater than the gain. They'll have to lower the drop rates on certain items as well, seeing as instead of 10 drop chances for 10 enemies in a party of 6, it's 60 drop chances for 10 enemies. So you're losing something anyway.

I dont think they had to do this on PSP2 because you couldn't trade anything useful. But doing that on PSO2 would cripple the game so badly it would seriously ruin any kind of long-term fun you could have with it.
    Last edited by RemiusTA; Aug 12, 2011 at 10:25 AM.

a comfortable place between dreams and reality

Per character drops are really the way to go. It removes the politics from item acquisition, which is a needless distraction. How many times has a rare enemy died, only to have a party wide stampede toward the rare box? Pretty much every time. It's disruptive to the party when everyone disengages from a fight to satisfy their greed and curiosity. Per character drops eliminate this because you know that rare isn't' going anywhere. Players are more likely to continue their roles in the battle until it's actually over, instead of trying to cleverly position themselves so they don't miss out on the booty.

Besides, it's purely psychological. It has zero effect on actual gameplay. There will likely be plenty of players that walk in without any prior knowledge of the drop system, and it will be completely transparent to them. PSO is a game where the main conceit is to work as a team killing monsters to acquire items and gain power. A new drop system does nothing to change that. You'll still receive drops, and there is nothing to prevent communication between other players about what they've received.

Quote Originally Posted by RemiusTA View Post
    This is honestly the reason i really hate this form of drops.

On the one hand, you're eliminating problems between teammates when fighting over drops. But on the other hand, you're also eliminating a huge factor of teamwork and connection with the players. Sure, you wont have to complain about drops anymore, but when everything is on a per-character basis, it really disconnects you from the team. It's almost like making the game half-single player and half-multiplayer.

I don't think i or anyone else has ever had a problem with just "Hey, can i use that Trifluid that dropped?" Or, "Hey, Sally died, who picked up that Moon Atomizer that dropped in that other room", or "Hey do you need that ???? Sword you just found i could really use it". Not to mention, this pretty much destroys 50% of the purpose of "Section ID's" in the first place. The excitement of seeing what other classes may drop is gone because....well, you'll never see what the other class drops unless they tell you. Which i believe is an extremely, extremely stupid feature in a party-based online game.

I think that removing that aspect is going to make the game not as fun. Not "GAME BREAKING", but still not as fun. Afterall, i never had an issue with just putting the rare drops on "Random" to make it 100% fair between everybody. And in all honestly, it's really no different than a per-character drop system. There is no difference between random pickups and per-character drops. The only difference is you get to whine like a kid when you're the one who sees it/picks it up, but not the one who gets it. But in all truth it'd be absolutely no different than it simply not dropping for you in the first place.

Per-character drops are really just a catering to whiny little babies, IMO. It's a Win/Lose situation. In my opinion, the loss is far greater than the gain. They'll have to lower the drop rates on certain items as well, seeing as instead of 10 drop chances for 10 enemies in a party of 6, it's 60 drop chances for 10 enemies. So you're losing something anyway.

I dont think they had to do this on PSP2 because you couldn't trade anything useful. But doing that on PSO2 would cripple the game so badly it would seriously ruin any kind of long-term fun you could have with it.
    Drops set to random really fustrates me sometimes, I for one am glad they used PSP2's drop system for PSO2. Would I want to fight with my friends over rare drops in a mission? No.

Calling certain drops can get boring most of the time.
    Nintendo Switch: 5668-1176-9106

Quote Originally Posted by amtalx View Post
    Per character drops are really the way to go. It removes the politics from item acquisition, which is a needless distraction. How many times has a rare enemy died, only to have a party wide stampede toward the rare box? Pretty much every time. It's disruptive to the party when everyone disengages from a fight to satisfy their greed and curiosity. Per character drops eliminate this because you know that rare isn't' going anywhere. Players are more likely to continue their roles in the battle until it's actually over, instead of trying to cleverly position themselves so they don't miss out on the booty.
    I dont think i've EVER been in a situation in PSO where our battle efficiency is lowered due to anticipation of enemy drops.

I understand where you're coming from, but that's about 95% fabrication. Even in games like Devil May Cry or Ninja Gaiden, going after collectibles is hardly a "disengaging" or "inefficient" pasttime, because it takes no effort to do. Not to mention, alot of the time, the objects that drop during battle are things that are keeping you alive. There are countless moments in PSU/PSP2/PSO where ignoring dropped items while fighting does nothing but get you killed.

The ONLY liability for going after items i can think of is that annoying thing that happens in PSO where you go to pick it up, but either a) someone already got it before you or b) your inventory is full, and instead of picking it up you swing your weapon and have to wait to move again. But that hasn't happened since PSU, where the item confirm button has been separate from the attack button so it doesn't matter anyway.

Besides, it's purely psychological. It has zero effect on actual gameplay. There will likely be plenty of players that walk in without any prior knowledge of the drop system, and it will be completely transparent to them. PSO is a game where the main conceit is to work as a team killing monsters to acquire items and gain power. A new drop system does nothing to change that. You'll still receive drops, and there is nothing to prevent communication between other players about what they've received.
    It has plenty effect on gameplay.

More things have effect on gameplay as a whole than most people realize, and to think that the drop method doesn't is pretty foolish.

For example, there are applications that are possible with universal drops that are simply not possible with per-character drops, unless the stage is programmed before hand to make them possible. For example, a box that only drops a single handgun on a challenge map, forcing only one character to be the designated ranger. Simple things that can go a very long way. Now, something like that is easily possible on per-character drops if it was designed to be that way, but at the same time you're still losing the interaction between the players. However small you may think it is, it's definitely there.

Of course, people who haven't experienced it wouldn't be able to tell. But that doesn't make it any better.

People who say they fight over other characters for drops astound me. I don't think it's EVER happened to me, after all my years of playing PSO and PSU. Phantasy Star just isn't a game like that. I've had more experience in PSU simply asking for the board that dropped and having a player hand it over than actually seeing arguments over stupid shit like that. It's almost like hearing people complain and bitch about "Elitists" on PSU. Where were you people playing? I maybe got kicked for elitist reasons about 5 times maximum in PSU in thousands of hours of playing. And if it was anymore than that, i forgot because it rarely happened anyway and nobody gives a shit.
    Last edited by RemiusTA; Aug 12, 2011 at 11:07 AM.

I don't like the idea of personal drops, either.

Honestly, the fewer ideas they take from PSP2(i), the better =/

a comfortable place between dreams and reality

@Remius:
    We must be playing different games.

this drop system brings players together promoting team work. know one has to party with friends only or solo due to fear of there drops getting taken. you can play with several partys of strangers and have no fear of getting beat for your loot. in psp2 you could still drop items for other players like moons traps and mates, so i have no idea why there are over 10 posts of ppl saying we wont be able to do so. not to mention if you do the math this means more loot in the player shops. think of a 6 player party in psu then think if all of them got there own drops like psp2. six times the loot going into the community and an increased drop rate per player. in psu if something drops only one drops in pso2 the same rare drop can drop for several different players. its true you can tell a pso fan any great news and it will turn into "your worst nightmare" thread and cause a panic lol

Quote Originally Posted by Hrith View Post
    I don't like the idea of personal drops, either.

Honestly, the fewer ideas they take from PSP2(i), the better =/
    so you like the idea of entire severs playing solo or booting each other every time a rare anything shows up? i want to meet new players without the fear of seeing the item i want get snatched up under my feet or being booted for jaos or rappys.