Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Some companies had done some amazing antipiracy tactics in their games. Earthbound's being one of the nortorious. Though i guess Arkham Asylum also did that well.

"It looks cool this way, let's stop."

The interesting thing about gaming is that Flash Gaming is the rage these days and now that many sites are making Flash Based RPGs (some working on MMOs) there are plenty on cell phones and smart phones playing games...

So much so that a city ordinance exists in place that if you talk in line on a cell phone you can be dismissed from the line and there are places where you are asked to turn off your cell phone or face a civil violation because the only thing people do is play games on their smart phones or talk endlessly or text.

I understand what people mean...comparing 3D games and 2D games..Thing is they are both part of the same Pie. There have always been more 2D gamers than 3D gamers in the world and then there are people who play cards or sports (those are games too).....You should feel priviledged if you have the time to really play 3D games and not be consumed by them...since I can guarantee you that if you enter a gaming club, not everyone is going to own a PC and play the latest games out there, or even an xbox.

Walk into any campus and console/pc 3D gamers are very few while you can find almost any person who has a tablet PC or laptop...either watching something on youtube, texting/emailing OR playing some game..
    PSO-2 Info: Ship: 2; ID: セツナヤキ; MCN: ケイリン
    "If you want a bridge between past, present, and future, search for the void and awaken it!"

Well sure, I'm not denying that tablet PCs laptops and whatnot are pretty useful. I just don't think its going to "kill" portable gamers just quite yet.

"It looks cool this way, let's stop."

One thing the mobile portables do have in which the Sony and Nintendo systems have not, are actual MMOs. They may not have Monster Hunter (true), but they do have the even more popular (worldwide) MMOs in their pockets now.

Order and Chaos is pretty much WoW portable, these days. Full MMO, with full open-world travel, etc. A feat not yet accomplished on the official portable game systems. (And yes, I was pushing for those systems to get going with online co-op gaming because it was going to go there whether they like it or not. And they hardly even got the small-party (2-4 players) infrastructure-online RPG going. Small exception being like 2 or 3 SEGA games and 1 Square one. Another case of Japanese ethnocentricity simply allowing others to push forward with ideas that the rest of the world would like, and then get surprised when they realize that what works well enough in Japan doesn't cover everything the rest of them want.)
    Last edited by Akaimizu; Aug 31, 2011 at 10:11 AM.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16834215081

Current Generation Tablet Technology that plays Leagues of Legends with 20 Frames Per Second. There is a large overhaul to the technology that will come next generation, specially in the graphics arena. Tablets are still new and some are cumbersome from experience.

However the 6250 ATI GPU in the two tablets that have them have actually broken between Light and Moderate Gaming.

It should be well noted that since many gamers stick to their favorite mmos for years that those who play old MMOs and have the space to store them in, are going to be really happy with the way tablets are heading.

I still prefer a Desktop Tower over anything. The fact I can stay on solid ground in my own home and play a game stationary and not worry about people and interaction in places I don't own is a god-send. Tablet Gaming will be great if you are always on the go and have to be away from your home for long periods of time.

Other than that, its just throwing money away for showing off.

This is one reason I don't play Handhelds much. I rather spend the time away from home socializing and getting to know people, along with seeing what going down than to lock myself in a cell phone/smart phone or handheld for a few hours of fun time I can have at home.
    "If you want a bridge between past, present, and future, search for the void and awaken it!"

Still. It doesn't excuse the fact that there are Light, medium, and heavier gaming options on tablets and phones right now. They aren't all just Angry Birds anymore, and it's become a lucrative business. Sure, they don't have the graphics of a tower, but then again, they don't have to. You can have a hardcore gaming experience on stuff easily done by todays tablets and phones because they've caught up to gaming of yesteryear while still providing a long battery life to boot. Producing stuff of Super NES level is hardly even a drain anymore, and PS2-quality stuff is done with gusto, nowadays.

Thing is, during the early years of PS3, the PS2 was still kicking its butt with strong gaming for all levels and utilizing a fraction of what power the PS3 could use. The same kind of stuff these mobiles are doing today (and more thanks to folks like Epic handing out their technology like Unreal), though of course, with a large amount of casual titles along for the ride.

But of course, a lot of folks travel, so in a way it's basically bringing your various hobbies along with you. Outside of gaming as well. The fact that it keeps you connected and able to find the nearest *whatever you want*, call folks up, and participate in group conversations, without getting lost is a bonus.

In the portable realm, Phones and Tablets are kind of like the PCs where the gaming systems are the consoles. Portable gaming systems seem to stick more by the rules of consoles. Generally used for years and years before they decide to do any notable hardware upgrades. Come packaged with good console-gaming physical controls. Generally mainly successful with Physical games sold in stores, for which minimal Hard-drive or memory installs are used to play them (if at all).

In contrast. The Phones and Tablets are the opposite. Like Steam fans (Steamers?) they've gone the route of downloadable titles with backed-up locally options. People are willing to *upgrade* their portable devices more often than gaming systems. They upgrade like knowledgeable gamers that know how to upgrade for the cheapest cost. This is because the overall cost of buying said hardware is done just sparsely enough and with a cost more inline with conservative computer upgrade spending, without folks having to know the ins and outs to get those prices. They also know they can still run their old stuff and take more advantage of new stuff, in the future. And like PCs, they contain just enough of an expansion port for those, in the future, to make physical controls with which to play the systems on. (Options are already available, but like earlier PC days, haven't caught onto a standard yet for which all games can support it)

My thoughts on the help of the 3DS and Vita are that there's no reason yet given why they can't co-exist in the console model as the phone/tablets do with the more PC-esque model, just like consoles and PCs co-exist now.
    Last edited by Akaimizu; Aug 31, 2011 at 12:22 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Akaimizu View Post
    Still. It doesn't excuse the fact that there are Light, medium, and heavier gaming options on tablets and phones right now. They aren't all just Angry Birds anymore, and it's become a lucrative business. Sure, they don't have the graphics of a tower, but then again, they don't have to. You can have a hardcore gaming experience on stuff easily done by todays tablets and phones because they've caught up to gaming of yesteryear while still providing a long battery life to boot. Producing stuff of Super NES level is hardly even a drain anymore, and PS2-quality stuff is done with gusto, nowadays.

Thing is, during the early years of PS3, the PS2 was still kicking its butt with strong gaming for all levels and utilizing a fraction of what power the PS3 could use. The same kind of stuff these mobiles are doing today (and more thanks to folks like Epic handing out their technology like Unreal), though of course, with a large amount of casual titles along for the ride.

But of course, a lot of folks travel, so in a way it's basically bringing your various hobbies along with you. Outside of gaming as well. The fact that it keeps you connected and able to find the nearest *whatever you want*, call folks up, and participate in group conversations, without getting lost is a bonus.
    Oh I'm not defending Japanese Gaming. There is nothing to defend. They are the only remaining people on the face of the planet who are willing to suck up retaining the same level of technology from the start of a product to its end without a full upgrade until end of life....and expect everyone to play ball.

I am on the side of Tablet PC and SmartPhones for handhelds....and I hate the Japanopheliacs out there who tell me that I am not a portable or mobile gamer because I am not going around with a Japanese Made Handheld who if i paid money for exclusive Japanese Content, I will not receive it since a lot of Japanese Content is Regionally Locked to Japan.

...and hate the idea that if I am not playing a full 3D Game, I am not a gamer in their eyes. I hate to see them tell that to the legions of Hello Kitty fans there..

On the latest Tablet PC out there, I can play Dragon Nest and on a WiFi Connection the game plays pretty well. Battery Life is pretty high too...and the game plays like Phantasy Star...only better in my eyes.

Its Phantasy Star without the BS.

I am hoping Tablet PCs and Smartphones keep on getting better to the point they will force the Japanese market to conform or lose the market sale of the rest of the world. ^_^

Quote Originally Posted by Keilyn View Post
    Oh I'm not defending Japanese Gaming. There is nothing to defend. They are the only remaining people on the face of the planet who are willing to suck up retaining the same level of technology from the start of a product to its end without a full upgrade until end of life....and expect everyone to play ball.

I am on the side of Tablet PC and SmartPhones for handhelds....and I hate the Japanopheliacs out there who tell me that I am not a portable or mobile gamer because I am not going around with a Japanese Made Handheld who if i paid money for exclusive Japanese Content, I will not receive it since a lot of Japanese Content is Regionally Locked to Japan.

...and hate the idea that if I am not playing a full 3D Game, I am not a gamer in their eyes. I hate to see them tell that to the legions of Hello Kitty fans there..

On the latest Tablet PC out there, I can play Dragon Nest and on a WiFi Connection the game plays pretty well. Battery Life is pretty high too...and the game plays like Phantasy Star...only better in my eyes.

Its Phantasy Star without the BS.

I am hoping Tablet PCs and Smartphones keep on getting better to the point they will force the Japanese market to conform or lose the market sale of the rest of the world. ^_^
    I'm not sure if I want that as just look how the PC/Western causal market "Improved" console gaming.

Interesting look Keilyn. In that form, I'm kind of in agreement. My reason is that I'm a progressive. I want the push. The ultimate aspect of commercial capitalism to reign supreme. When the industries feel the push to get better, don't rest on their laurels, everybody wins in the end. The consumers win as well.

Right now, I fully believe in a few things that are pushing gaming forward. The Independant devs are back in the game and are pushing hard as well. In the older days, they were more or less shut out of competition from a lack of tools. But today, I love how there are bits of developer revolutions that are paying off, in the consumer's hands. They, more or less, are the official pace cars of progress. They keep the population of devs, who are allowed to code labor of loves and getting highly rewarded for it, sending major signals to Big companies as to how they *should* conduct business. It also stops the horrible cycle of attempting to do as little as possible for the buck (just get the license, or follow this simple (currently popular) blueprint).

Quote Originally Posted by StriderTuna View Post
    I'm not sure if I want that as just look how the PC/Western causal market "Improved" console gaming.
    Micro-transactions,

Micro-transactions everywhere.