Page 8 of 8 FirstFirst ... 5678

Quote Originally Posted by Lolitron View Post
    We don't want the entire game to die just because of a group of us who do it for shits and giggles.
    Yeah, instead we want the entire game to die due to lack of content.

a comfortable place between dreams and reality

Quote Originally Posted by Hrith View Post
    Then I'd wish to know what those are.
    To be honest, we don't have one. There are a thousand different ways to deploy content, and only Sega knows if their servers are built to support inserting one set of content to all regions. Even if their servers do support that, localization would be a little bit harder.

The dark side of localization that most people don't see is on the development side. A server running JP Windows is not the same as US Windows. The character sets are different and not every library path has a symbolic link. Even if Sega were to take JP content without translating anything, parts of the package would still need to be recompiled.

For the record, my previous post was about having a single server for players and content.

Quote Originally Posted by amtalx View Post
    A server running JP Windows is not the same as US Windows. The character sets are different and not every library path has a symbolic link. Even if Sega were to take JP content without translating anything, parts of the package would still need to be recompiled.
    Huh.
    - Vista and up have unicode by default.
    - OS language doesn't do anything, system locale does.
    - System locale only sets the character set for non-unicode programs, which shouldn't even be relevant if it does use unicode.
    - Going by mining info so far (alpha profanity list thread), the game does use unicode.

And even if the executables are different, that shouldn't matter for the files containing the content, as those aren't executables. Heck, if files contain multiple languages (-> language settings), all versions of the game could just use the same update files.

Quote Originally Posted by amtalx View Post
    For the record, my previous post was about having a single server for players and content.
    I figured. But that is not what we had on the Dreamcast and Gamecube versions of PSO. Both those versions had servers in Tokyo, San Francisco and fucking London, and the three servers were linked so that, as Tycho mentioned, the most delay we had between content updates was a few hours due to timezones. That's what I want, and that is what we are hoping to get with this message to Ms. Bonkohara.