Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Default Name Hack = Illegitimacy?

Recently, I wanted to add a last name to my main to match my "temporary" PSP2i character. Eventually, I had a friend to hack (No, I won't say "modify".) my name. After I told a player about it, he is now spreading the word that I am an "illegit noob", sending messages such as, "Don't talk to Yumiko" or "Destroy his WoG".

I still fail to understand how exactly I am illegit. None of my stats are hacked and neither are my weapons. However, I still have my old save to revert to. So I ask you people:

Does a name hack equal the status of illegitimacy?
    Last edited by JC200X; Sep 30, 2011 at 04:08 PM.
    PSO2 Character Information:
    Ciel Di'Mattrio: F Newman, HU75/FI75/RA75/GU75/FO72/TE72/BR75/BO75
    Thalia Fortuna: F Human, FO73/TE74/BR70/BO60

Only if it modifies your stat values, and gaining easy items, otherwise I wouldn't call it illegitimate. I mean have you seen the other thread about block canceling? Different subject I know, but some have a kind of complex against all things hack/exploit related.

Quote Originally Posted by blace View Post
    Only if it modifies your stat values, and gaining easy items, otherwise I wouldn't call it illegitimate. I mean have you seen the other thread about block canceling? Different subject I know, but some have a kind of complex against all things hack/exploit related.
    Yes, I've viewed that thread a few times now. I'm a bit surprised that it's that much of an ordeal.

Back on topic, please correct me if I'm wrong, but being illegitimate means your stats and/or weapons are modified. And last I checked, the name and the stats are two completely different things.

In my opinion, as long as stats or equipment is left alone, then you'd still be considered legitimate. I don't really see a problem with simply changing your character's name.

Though, I'm still always a bit suspicious about those with colorful names (slightly off-topic).

Eagerly awaiting Eva 3.0 MESeele's Avatar

An excerpt From the rules page, cheating as defined by the forum . I thought it a fairly good description given that people's thoughts on the matter vary so much.

# Cheat Codes and Methods
    Cheating is defined as exploting in-game glitches or outside sources - example: Action Replay - to disingenuously improve your in-game standing or inflict harm on the community.

Changing your name does none of the above, unlike stat/item modifications which does the first (potentially both). However, as LK1721 mentioned, most players remain wary around mods of any sort, as the overwhelming majority of people would never stop at such a mundane modification. "only 1 more button push to amp my stats, why stop here?" - Or the like.

So no, changing only your name is not cheating. But be prepared to be flagged by players anyway, as coloiurful names often hint at something more. It's a risk you take.
    Last edited by MESeele; Sep 30, 2011 at 06:42 PM.

Star told me, she's doesn't like it.
    But as long as it's not like those eyesore colorful names, I have no problem with it!
    And I kinda like the last name anyway.
    Isoya Level: 172 VA: 30 RA: 22 HU: 6 FO: 1 Misc. weapons depending on current class type.
    Loli Level: 90 RA: 15 Laser cannon/Grenade/Axe
    Serenity Level: 78 FO: 13 Rod/Double sabers/Twin Daggers
    Life Level: 15 HU: 1 Knuckles/Twin Claws/Sword

I know you wouldn't stoop to the hackers' level. I agree, it's just the name. No harm is being done.
    PSO2 characters
    Ship 2: Rabbie, Ramune, Princess Sara. Ship 10's Elu and Noriko are here as well (for an undetermined amount of time...)

Why not upload some screenshots to show you have done nothing more but change your name.

Quote Originally Posted by blace View Post
    Why not upload some screenshots to show you have done nothing more but change your name.
    Damn, blace. You're quite the mind reader. I've just taken a few.

I hate how one can just accuse a person, let alone me, without even a shred of evidence. Seeing how I'm currently under the "Guilty until proven innocent" rule, I post these.

I have a sudden urge to play Phoenix Wright now...

Quote Originally Posted by JC200X View Post
    Damn, blace. You're quite the mind reader. I've just taken a few.

I hate how one can just accuse a person, let alone me, without even a shred of evidence. Seeing how I'm currently under the "Guilty until proven innocent" rule, I post these.

I have a sudden urge to play Phoenix Wright now...
    Those are the stats of a HUnewearl. My lvl 200 newearl has slightly higher stats as HU.
    IIRC didn't yuki change the name of one of her characters too? I could care less about name hacks.
    Grinding Magashi Plan in Infinity...