Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Sprites?

Default Sprites?

so i was surfing the web and i was looking for diffrent ways to turn Eclipsesole into fan art some way or another then it hit me. i want him as a Sprite type char. if im explaining this wrong but just so people know what im looking for heres a site

http://www.pscave.com/fangames/psv/spritespreview.shtml

so with that in mind i was wondering how to make this possible can anyone show or tell me how to make one of these? or how to turn Eclipsesole into an art like to this???
    plz and thank you
    who am i....? *tosses card to* find out.

I haven't done sprites for a long time, but I am pretty sure the basics is about the same as it was when I did them. So Here is a quick smash up of two tutorials to help you. I suggest using MS paint to create the sprites and gif movie maker to animate them. GMM is good for animations because it takes PNG files. PNG files won't ruin your sprites like gif and jpeg. In the spoiler box it shows some closeups of some sprites from your link as well as bits and pieces from godlings's tutorial that I thought would be helpful to you. There is also a splicing tutorial that I think you should start out with if you have never created any sprites before.

Spoiler!

I suggest checking out these two pokemon tutorials It's where I got most of the information from. (For some reason 80% of sprite tutorials are pokemon (´・_・`) )
    Last edited by VANNO; Jun 7, 2012 at 11:25 AM.

Click on image or this for examples.
    PLAYER ID -12462545] [ TEAM - CRAPPYRAPPY

I used to do a lot of spriting probably around 10 years ago, starting with FF6 and Chrono Trigger sprites as bases and learned to make my own from there. It's an art form I haven't touched in ages but your post made me kinda nostalgic, so I might try messing with it again. Way too rusty to make any promises, haha.

The guide above is nicely done; in simple terms I would start with a sprite sheet that is somewhat similar to what you want yours to look like, make a bunch in that style, and slowly try to alter things as you go and evolve it into your own style. Like any art form it takes practice.

Quote Originally Posted by VANNO View Post
    I haven't done sprites for a long time, but I am pretty sure the basics is about the same as it was when I did them. So Here is a quick smash up of two tutorials to help you. I suggest using MS paint to create the sprites and gif movie maker to animate them. GMM is good for animations because it takes PNG files. PNG files won't ruin your sprites like gif and jpeg. In the spoiler box it shows some closeups of some sprites from your link as well as bits and pieces from godlings's tutorial that I thought would be helpful to you. There is also a splicing tutorial that I think you should start out with if you have never created any sprites before.

Spoiler!
    How exactly do you get to the point where you need to use the information in the picture? What I mean is, where exactly do you start? I don't think the guide explains that very well. Do you take an already-existing sprite and modify it? Like, how does one make one from scratch, or make it look how they want?

I mean, I'm not personally interested, as I don't have the computer programs or skills to do so, but I figured I'd ask for goldwing's sake.

The James Franco of PSO2 NoiseHERO's Avatar

I'm not really that advanced at sprite making.

But it's not that different from drawing. A good example, drawing in photoshop you're using pixels too. Or maybe that's a terrible example. But yeah it's not as complicated as it sounds. At least not the way my noob-ass does it.

At most you'll want a pre-determined size.

AYY. All you nillas days is numbered.

Vanno's example is more of a fan-art style of developing sprites. Regular sprites are created generally pixel by pixel. More modern 2-D games don't use traditional sprites but are rather hand drawn.

A glare more piercing than any spear.

I've seen folks draw the base and such as they want with the brush/pen tool (pen ala SAI) and then build it from that.

I found this tutorial on DA. Kind of explaining what i mean. I don't however have any experience with spirtework outside of modifying sprites back back in the day. (Like i turned Shadow Battle into my bird guy and Tails BAttle into a Snoopy.)

"It looks cool this way, let's stop."

I haven't done much sprite-work, but I have done some in the past. And of course, also in Cladun 1 and 2, which has sprite-work designs. 3D Dot Heroes is kind of the same, but in 3 dimensions. A 3D sprite-editor, so to speak.

I've made sprite versions of one of my PSU characters Mufonna in both 3D Dot Heroes and in Cladun. Tynselle, only in Cladun.

Quote Originally Posted by VANNO View Post

Spoiler!

I suggest checking out these two pokemon tutorials It's where I got most of the information from. (For some reason 80% of sprite tutorials are pokemon (´・_・`) )
    Thanks i look fowerd to learning how to do this.
    @ Big olaf. Hmmmm for my sake a?
    who am i....? *tosses card to* find out.

Quote Originally Posted by BIG OLAF View Post
    How exactly do you get to the point where you need to use the information in the picture? What I mean is, where exactly do you start? I don't think the guide explains that very well. Do you take an already-existing sprite and modify it? Like, how does one make one from scratch, or make it look how they want?

I mean, I'm not personally interested, as I don't have the computer programs or skills to do so, but I figured I'd ask for goldwing's sake.
    ^
    If you check out the pokemon tutorial links in my original post and click on the Fakemon one you'll see that making sprites is similar to what Rock Eastwood and Sayara said. Most people start out with a basic sketch and re-outline the image in the computer. Here is how I start out doing my sprites

However I suggest if you have never done sprites that it would be best to start off with a base. That's why I included the splicing tutorial in the image. There is nothing wrong with using existing sprites and everyone needs a stepping stone. The more advance a person gets the more they can start to really create their own sprites.

I know a lot of advance spriters who work on adobe products, but for the sake of money and time, I don't think advance programs are worth it right now.
    Last edited by VANNO; Jun 8, 2012 at 12:26 PM.

Click on image or this for examples.
    PLAYER ID -12462545] [ TEAM - CRAPPYRAPPY