Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Watching TV
    Playing a game I'm familiar with (this one is almost instant)
    When my body doesn't feel like functioning from tiredness

I will never try to sleep or try things when my body or mind isn't tired....that just makes things worse. You have to do something relaxing and let your mind wander.

Quote Originally Posted by MESeele View Post
    Interesting. Which particular techniques do you make use of? I only know of the 'focus on an empty picture frame, picture yourself entering it' one.
    Usually I'll use a method of guided meditation and WILD (wake induced lucid dreaming), focusing on my some part of body (usually my gut/stomach area) and imagine the feeling of relaxation, of the tension melting away, as the sensation spreads throughout my extremities and back again - especially the major joints and digits. Continue this for about 10~20 minutes or so until a sort of faux sleep paralysis sets in. That should help clear out the stray thoughts and tensions which are the biggest barrier to sleeping. From there I'll focus on visualizing a person or an object intently, like daydreaming, until it comes into sharp relief. The rest of the scenery will eventually flow out from there (unless the falling sensation wakes me up) and fill in my perceptions. Try not to get distracted by those too much and just keep your attention on the object you're imagining. It's not until I can get sensory feedback from the environment (feeling the wind, warmth of the sun, the sound of a fire crackling) that I take my focus off the object and start interacting with the dream environment.

Alternately, if you have music playing in the background or a soundtrack of background noise (fireplace, stream, insects, birds chirping, etc) - these often get incorporated into the scenery you find yourself in, and you can focus on that instead of a visual object once you're in the dream state. It's rare for me to be able to keep my conscious awareness once in a dream state, so after a short period of interaction, I tend to melt away into the dream and then it's sleep as usual.

Also, be aware that if you explore Lucid Dreaming, you may be more susceptible to sleep paralysis. It can be extremely frighting if you're not familiar with it, but it's perfectly normal. Your body does this naturally by restricting the production of certain neurotransmitters called monoamines, which in effect blocks the transmission of signals responsible for motor control. This is what keeps you from acting out your dreams during REM sleep. (The opposite of this condition can cause sleepwalking and night terrors) It's just that you're not usually aware of it happening. If you experience it, don't freak out and try to just enjoy the sensation. It'll wear off after a while, or you might just want to go back to sleep and it will be gone when you wake up again.
    Last edited by Sinue_v2; Nov 1, 2011 at 08:56 PM.

Feed men, and then ask of them virtue!

I use "Suicide Blasts" and "Regeneration Stasis" when it comes to sleep. Also maintain full alignment in Encapsulated Sleep at an Angle. Of course when its sleeping with my girlfriend, its different. We try to retain alignment of the head/neck otherwise you won't enter REM sleep and will have it disrupted.

"Suicide Blasting" works as long as you don't hurt yourself doing it. Regen Stasis should only be used on a body with almost no energy or wounded, hurts the body if you have a lot of energy or no wounds. Encapsulated Sleep is a good all-round way to go, because its methods are safe but requires setting up to sleep.

...Specially if you Throw-Wrap yourself before sleeping like I do.

^_^
    PSO-2 Info: Ship: 2; ID: セツナヤキ; MCN: ケイリン
    "If you want a bridge between past, present, and future, search for the void and awaken it!"

Quote Originally Posted by Keilyn View Post
    I use "Suicide Blasts" and "Regeneration Stasis" when it comes to sleep. Also maintain full alignment in Encapsulated Sleep at an Angle. Of course when its sleeping with my girlfriend, its different. We try to retain alignment of the head/neck otherwise you won't enter REM sleep and will have it disrupted.
    What in god's name are "Suicide Blasts" and "Regeneration Stasis??" According to the internet, they aren't things. They sound like moves in a JRPG or something...

Quote Originally Posted by Split View Post
    What in god's name are "Suicide Blasts" and "Regeneration Stasis??" According to the internet, they aren't things. They sound like moves in a JRPG or something...
    I think he/she is a Borg or something.

I try to clear my mind by focusing on my breathing when my thoughts are keeping me awake. I just try to feel the air entering and leaving my body. I usually mess up by thinking about breathing instead of feeling it but when I am motivated, I try again. It probably requires practice.

Also, I read you could run cold water over your wrists for a minute and then lie down and put your hands under your armpits.
    Last edited by Keely; Nov 2, 2011 at 01:01 AM.

Once & forever Protranser Gunslinger-08's Avatar

Having a source of white noise like a fan works wonders for me, and it helps me from getting too warm, which keeps me from falling asleep as well.

Ship 2 - Gatz

EEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE Nitro Vordex's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Sinue_v2 View Post
    Usually I'll use a method of guided meditation and WILD (wake induced lucid dreaming), focusing on my some part of body (usually my gut/stomach area) and imagine the feeling of relaxation, of the tension melting away, as the sensation spreads throughout my extremities and back again - especially the major joints and digits. Continue this for about 10~20 minutes or so until a sort of faux sleep paralysis sets in. That should help clear out the stray thoughts and tensions which are the biggest barrier to sleeping. From there I'll focus on visualizing a person or an object intently, like daydreaming, until it comes into sharp relief. The rest of the scenery will eventually flow out from there (unless the falling sensation wakes me up) and fill in my perceptions. Try not to get distracted by those too much and just keep your attention on the object you're imagining. It's not until I can get sensory feedback from the environment (feeling the wind, warmth of the sun, the sound of a fire crackling) that I take my focus off the object and start interacting with the dream environment.
    I've been trying to work with lucid dreaming, as dreams are something that greatly interests me. There was a few ways that I learned to realize I was dreaming.

• If I was wearing a watch, I would tell myself, before going to sleep, "A watch in a dream will not show the same time twice." A lot of the time, this held quite true, and would have me realizing I'm in a dream. Sometimes, my brain would think it's slick and show me the same time; however, the simple act of just checking the watch twice and thinking it won't show me the same time gave me lucidity, because why the hell would I need to try that in real life?
    • Another method I learned was a relatively simple one that I would practice before I would turn off the lights. I would look at my hand, curl it into a fist, and as I was doing this, would say, "I will look at my hand and curl it into a fist, and realize I'm dreaming." I would repeat this three times before laying down, and then keep the idea fresh in my mind. This actually helped me quite a bit in scary dreams or nightmares. I remember having a dream where I was being chased by zombie dog/wolf things outside my own house, and was incredibly terrified. I happened to stop running and looked at my hand, which was in a fist. I had a flash of light go across my vision and then my eyes refocused. I turned to the dogs and began fighting them with my bare hands, and flying through the streets.

Lucid dreaming has become a common occurrence for me now, and I'm able to hold on to it quite well, for the most part.

I can't sleep if it's too quiet. Usually the noise of the water flowing in my fish tank is enough to get me into a sound sleep. Sometimes the TV on low, or the fan blowing in the computer is enough to get me to sleep if I'm restless.

Music. Lots of music. Any kind of music. Just music. If it's completely silent, I'll never fall asleep. Too much going on in my head.
    ID: Haseyo FO
    Character: Roll Caskett | Ship: 02
    Character: Hsien-Ko | Ship: 02