Default Memory of the Heart

My submission for the reacent PSO 10th anniversary contest.
    I have not posted art here in so long as well...

I, as usual, suck at backgrounds... So I had to go digital. But just because it is easier to correct any errors/mistakes in Photoshop does not mean that I had an easier time knowing what to do.
    I wanted to include the control tower in the background. But I had little to no concept art or reference to go on...
    So I just went with the mountains, occational poison gas and rain.
    And the breakdown of the VR field.

I wished I had moved Elly more to the side; my character is covering most of her...
    Guess I was cheap with paper... Since I drew these pics on two separate A4s and then combined them on an A3 when I colored... ಠ_ಠ

I do not have much to say about the memory itself... Other than Seat of the Heart was the first mission where it felt like you/your character was actively involved.
    I felt less alone playing.
    And I guess that is what made it so memorable.

Does anyone have any pointers to give?
    While it is hard, for me, to combine traditional and digital art like this, I wish that you oversee that.
    And also if it is about Calus huge frown... Do not bother... I made a mistake, ok?!
    Last edited by Yueri; Jan 5, 2012 at 11:28 AM.

The James Franco of PSO2 NoiseHERO's Avatar

I used to try and combine digital art with traditional art, it's not impossible, but it drove me crazy and took forever and I was terrible at it. For reference I probably would've used more official art, I like how they make seem like break's FOmar robes look a little more kimono-like somehow instead of just a mage dress. But I know some people like that thing with FOmar so I dunno.

But yeah I like the way you did the hair here.

I'll give you my actual opinion when my brain isn't dead. *just woke up*

AYY. All you nillas days is numbered.

Now just noticed the little pixel/ridges of the line art. Maybe if you blurred it a bit or re-worked the lines in photoshop. Also the staff of your character gets a little lost towards the bottom and yeah.. Elly needs to shine a bit more. You have really great skill for copic markers. n.n

I thought the ridges/pixely look would add to the "virutalness". But maybe that was a longshot...
    I never realized that the rod had faded so much..! Ops.

Hmm, if you placed Elly in the center of the image, you'd have the makings of a little tug 'o' war on little Elly's heartstrings. ^_^

If you're planning to stick to a paper only route, I'd suggest getting a light box so you can get a semblance of faux layers. That way you can safely sketch the characters individually, and then merge them into a single piece without destroying your original sketches.

Anyway, I thought it looked pretty good. ^_^

Quote Originally Posted by Crystal_Shard View Post
    Hmm, if you placed Elly in the center of the image, you'd have the makings of a little tug 'o' war on little Elly's heartstrings. ^_^
    I think it was more your job to protect her though... seriously I do not remember!
    But as i remember it, it was, so it felt more fitting to keep her at the side.

Quote Originally Posted by Crystal_Shard View Post
    If you're planning to stick to a paper only route, I'd suggest getting a light box so you can get a semblance of faux layers. That way you can safely sketch the characters individually, and then merge them into a single piece without destroying your original sketches.
    That is what I did..!
    But I SHOULD have drawn Elly and my character on to separate papers, yes... and colored them separately. Then I could have placed them further appart...
    Because I WAS going to go with a copic colored background, I had to place them on the same paper.
    But anyway..! Yes..! Now I am sure I will not make this mistake in the future!

(Have beter foresight, jibun!)

Wielder of the Neiclaws Ce'Nedra's Avatar

I still think you did a nice job with this picture